NEWLY PUBLISHED NOVEL ON ALEXANDER & HEPHAISTION

Recommend, or otherwise, books on Alexander (fiction or non-fiction). Promote your novel here!

Moderator: pothos moderators

lysis56
Pezhetairos (foot soldier)

NEWLY PUBLISHED NOVEL ON ALEXANDER & HEPHAISTION

Post by lysis56 »

Please disregard. Thank you.
Last edited by lysis56 on Tue Jul 24, 2012 12:29 am, edited 2 times in total.
ScottOden

Re: NEWLY PUBLISHED NOVEL ON ALEXANDER & HEPHAISTION

Post by ScottOden »

Greetings, Lysis!

Welcome to the forum. Yes, the key to getting a novel about Alexander the Great noticed these days is to think outside the box -- but don't stray too far beyond its walls. And, if you've not already done so, you really need to read the work of other writers: from Mary Renault to Valerio Massimo Manfredi to Steven Pressfield to the newest entry by Christian Cameron. Though I've not read it yet, I have it on good authority that Cameron's book will be the new standard for AtG in fiction. The paranormal angle you're taking isn't going to impress a publisher looking for a solid AtG historical; that you're mimicking the exact set-up to An Interview with a Vampire does you no favors, either.

Publishers DO want, and are actively seeking, good AtG fiction -- or any good fiction set in the ancient world. But it must equal the quality of the names I mentioned above, and it must approach AtG from a different angle. My own novel, Memnon, came at AtG from the perspective of his enemy, Memnon of Rhodes. Think about what character you might use to tell your version of AtG's story and see if that works for you.

Looking for an agent or publisher for a work after self-publishing it is a whole different matter. To quote myself from another thread:
Now, reputable publishers do not buy your book. Rather, they lease a series of rights from you, including the right to issue your book electronically or in print, the right to approach foreign publishers on your behalf, or the right to make films from your work. There are a host of other rights associated with a manuscript, but these are the most sought-after. What happens if you publish your book online, regardless of whether it's an e-book or on a blog? Then you've just made the initial right to publish electronically unavailable. Legally, what they can try to secure, then, are what's known as "reprint" rights (electronic publishing has made some of the terms obsolete, but they've adjusted most of their contracts to reflect what they mean). Reprint rights are no where near as lucrative as the first publication rights. What they might have offered you 10K for, they would now offer only 2-3K. And, unless it's successful -- using their yardstick for success, which in electronic terms would be a certain number of downloads/page hits -- then they'd offer you even less, or pass altogether. Even if it's good. Why? Because for every writer of quality who self or vanity publishes, there's another writer of equal quality whose rights are unencumbered sitting on their slush pile waiting to be read, or whose agent is hounding the poor, overworked editor for a read.
If you're happy going the self-publishing route, which can be very lucrative if you develop a following, then that's great. But, if it's trade publication through one of the "Big 6" you seek, then work on your craft and go back to the drawing board.

No matter what, I wish you the best.

Scott
lysis56

Post by lysis56 »

Hello Scott,

Thank you for taking the time to respond to my post. It is really appreciated. I respect your work a lot, I have't read Men of Bronze, your Memnon inspired some of my own work on Alexander. Yes, it's very difficult to really know how to approach Alexander in this modern world, and my attempts at the historical novel I had first written were politely turned down so many times that I took a different route. Perhaps from some of your comments I went a bit too far off, like out into the desert somewhere. It's hard to get one's work taken seriously I've been writing for years and it's amazingly difficult to get published.

Your book Memnon, if I may say really did inspire me. I had just purchased it after my first attempt at a novel on Alexander was turned down so I kept going. I've read Christian Cameron's book, God of War but it wasn't quite the sort of flavor I like in my historical novels. Steven Pressfield and the late Ms. Renault, as you say are somewhat the gold standard, and your own work has more the flavor I feel, at least is what drives me. It seems ever since Empire of Ashes was written people are taking a different view of Alexander, which is fair, of course, he was a motal beings, in body at least :), but I find sometimes other things are sacrificed in portraying him in the new more modernistic approach. Cameron's books is interesting and, more blood and guts realistic like Pressfield's Gates of Hell, but I think it only gives the reader an Alexander who is two dimensional and lacks Pressfield's lyrical grace and beauty of the culture that is being portrayed. I know Alexander was a warrior and obsessed with power and conquest, but there were other sides to the man, my years of research have shown me that.

Anyway, thank you again, for your kindness in just commenting and sharing your views. To someone like me they are invaluable. I'm going back to my original novel and taking another look at it, and will keep going.

I hope you keep writing, I'd love to see something new by you. I hate Memnon, who I think was probably Alexander's greatest threat. I've always wondered what if... Surely, if there was another general of military ability somewhat equal to Alexander's it must have been Memnon, but fortunately or unfortunately, he died. You made him a fascinating character, which he truly was and I greatly enjoyed your Barsine, she was lovely and sensitive in her portrayal and she was such an intriguing woman herself, and I think is downplayed more than she ought to be. Although Judith Tarr in her Lord of the Two Lands made her somewhat sympathetic, I felt she portrayed her in a somewhat negative manner.

Anyway, forgive me for just going on, and again, thank you for taking the time to share your comments on my post. I truly appreciate it.

Sincerely, Lysis
jan
Strategos (general)

Post by jan »

I admit that out of the box is not my interest area. Fantasy, wishes, and silly spirits do not attract my attention. Scott was too nice. Copying Harry Potter, Twilight, and other silly stuff is not creative thinking or writing. Threatening readers about homophobia is likewise ill advised. Pandering is selling yourself out. Most of the known world is heterosexual and constitutes most of the purchasing power of novels. I just posted an article about Barnes &noble to show how important booksellers are to authors, readers, and publishing companies. Alexander is an icon, a revered entity in many parts of the world. To treat him lightly may be a serious mistake. From what I read of your story, I believe it was proper that it was rejected. You are saying accept my idea or else. Sorry there are ideas much better to spend one's precious time on.
jan
Strategos (general)

Post by jan »

To Scott, I have not yet read your novel about General Memnon but hope to obtain it to read. Thanks for all the tips about publishing that you gave in your post.
lysis56

Post by lysis56 »

To Jan,
Your comments regarding my post are of course your own concern. However, I would refrain from calling someone a panderer or accuse them of selling themselves out unless you have read any of their work and thus have a basis for doing so. Are you at all familair with any of my stories? Yes, at this point most of my Alexander stories have been on Fanfiction, but that doesn't mean they are worthless. Nor because I am not widely published in other areas does this mean I am not worth the time of day. I have been writing for years and have written four other novels. If you are at all familair with the publishing profession then, I am sure you will know how hard it is to get one's work published.

I try always to retain an open mind with regard to someone else's work and what drives them toward the direction in which they went. I never make a decision on anyone's work unless I read it first, as I might be mistaken in my original view of their idea. My approach to Alexander is neither light nor frivolous. What makes me curious is why you would attack, as I see your post, in this manner, the idea of a book which someone has worked hard and researched diligently on for years without even bothering to read it or at least a portion of it or even asking intelligent questions about it. There are many authors whose work I don't care for, but I try to at least read their work first before I deride it.

I appreciated Scott Oden's post because he was kind enough to show me in a constructive non-critical manner where I might be off. Also, you are incorrect in your supposition that my story was rejected. It was not, it found a publisher. Perhaps you need to think and gather a bit more information regarding your subject before you respond in so personal a manner to a post regarding another author's work. I don't know you and I doubt you know me, thus find the scornful manner of your comments curious and wonder why you would be so defensive? Why should the manner in which i chose to write about Alexander matter to you at all? All one has to do is refrain from reading something if it isn't to their taste, but to censure something before you really even know about it makes me question the person's actions.

Lysis

I
jan wrote:I admit that out of the box is not my interest area. Fantasy, wishes, and silly spirits do not attract my attention. Scott was too nice. Copying Harry Potter, Twilight, and other silly stuff is not creative thinking or writing. Threatening readers about homophobia is likewise ill advised. Pandering is selling yourself out. Most of the known world is heterosexual and constitutes most of the purchasing power of novels. I just posted an article about Barnes &noble to show how important booksellers are to authors, readers, and publishing companies. Alexander is an icon, a revered entity in many parts of the world. To treat him lightly may be a serious mistake. From what I read of your story, I believe it was proper that it was rejected. You are saying accept my idea or else. Sorry there are ideas much better to spend one's precious time on.
sikander
Somatophylax

Post by sikander »

Greetings Lysis,

Nicely handled. There are proven, published authors and writers who visit this site regularly; they are your best advisers.
Most of them will offer constructive criticism even if they don't necessarily think your story will work. Hear them out, then, using their experience to your best advantage, map out your own tale.

Regards,
Sikander
lysis56

Post by lysis56 »

Hi Sikander,

Many thanks for your kind comments. Yes, already I have picked up some good suggestions, etc., from other writers and am most appreciative of their help. I think half of writing is learning, and as far as I can see, there is still much to learn. I read everyone who has published anything on Alexander, even stuff most people would throw in their garbage can (Empire of Ashes :roll: comes to mind- however I plucked it back out and have kept it - it does have it's good points - few though they are.) Some of the newer books out are different, more along the lines of Steven Pressfield's work which I'm happy for as they show how real life for a young man training to be a solider in Alexander''s time might really have been, God of War is one such work. The realism there is stark, but honest. War and the training for war is harsh, brutal and does a real number on the trainee. I can just imagine how it must have really been on Alexander and his friends, no wonder they were able to destroy Thebes and Tyre, they were trained to it.

For me, I feel I can always do better, I guess i kind of think along the lines of Alexander "to be ever the best." :lol:

Thank you,
Lysis
jan
Strategos (general)

Post by jan »

Hi, happy that you responded to my comments. I reacted to your warning that if we didn't like something as though you were threatening. I just finished reading Scott's Memnon which is an excellent fictional study of one of Alexander's adversaries. I know how difficult it is to find all the necessary agents, editors, readers in the publishing world. I didn't mean to sound hostile but advisory. When I was young. I learned the phrase there is nothing new under the sun. Just the same old s....word. I actually probably over reacted to the vampire theme. Bring original and creative is really liked by editors. Not the s.o.s. or same old s..t. But I admit that it is wise to sell so if vampires suit you, that is your right. Truthfully, I believe historical fiction writers are least in demand. Unless the book is really exceptional, it just stays on the shelf. No matter what I wish you good luck. If you are near San Francisco, you can win a free ticket to the Writers Conference Feb 16-19. you must be a member of Writers Digest but it is a great deal worth $745. But you must pay your way there and find your own lodging. I found it on Twitter tonight.