Child Prodigy, nucleus of novel

Recommend, or otherwise, books on Alexander (fiction or non-fiction). Promote your novel here!

Moderator: pothos moderators

spitamenes
Hetairos (companion)

Re: Child Prodigy, nucleus of novel

Post by spitamenes »

Did anyone happen to read the fictional novel titled " the Alexander Cypher"? I did, it was in hardback right when I walked into borders,(a big chain store if some do not know of borders). But anyway, I bought it. And wondered why it got " front row" at the store when fictional Alexander books are otherwise all but non existent. Can't remember the author. But I just chalked it up to the big "DaVinci Code" craze that was going on at the time. DaVinci Code/Alexander Cypher. :D . Just curious as to if anyone else read it or not.
derek
Pezhetairos (foot soldier)

Post by derek »

Marcus,

Thanks for asking. The books are:

The Lion of Macedonia
ISBN: 978-1413485493
Covers Alexander’s early years up to the invasion of Persia.

Lord of the World
ISBN: 978-1425730628
Runs from the Hellespont through to the invasion of India.

God of War
ISBN: 978-1436363594
Starts with the invasion of India and runs through to his death.

They’re a chronological dramatization of Alexander’s life, which means I stick to the facts, but will also embellish where needed to make a readable story. All three are on Amazon (search on the ISBN) and you can read excerpts on the “look inside”.

I’m plugging away at a fourth novel, which will be a vampire horror type thing involving a Macedonian officer in Alexander’s army. It could be set in any time period, but it seemed a waste to not use what I’ve learned from writing the others. I’m writing it in my lunchtimes at work, so it’ll be a good year yet before it’s finished.

Derek
spitamenes
Hetairos (companion)

Post by spitamenes »

A phalanx of Macedonian vampires... count me in!
Derek,
Have you ever watched "reign"? The anime flick where Porus is actually Darius as a zombie? And his army is all the fallen soldiers the Macedonians killed throughout the campaign? Ahh,.. good stuff. :)
marcus
Somatophylax

Post by marcus »

derek wrote:The Lion of Macedonia
ISBN: 978-1413485493
Covers Alexander’s early years up to the invasion of Persia.

Lord of the World
ISBN: 978-1425730628
Runs from the Hellespont through to the invasion of India.

God of War
ISBN: 978-1436363594
Starts with the invasion of India and runs through to his death.
Oh, those! I have actually downloaded the samples to my Kindle, but not yet got round to reading them. I have such a backlog of books at the moment that I'm afraid it might be a while before I get round to them; but I will get round to them, eventually.

ATB
Marcus
Sine doctrina vita est quasi mortis imago
At Amazon US
At Amazon UK
derek

Post by derek »

Marcus,

That’s ok. I spent the best part of 10 years writing those books and sometimes it feels like they’re invisible, so any interest is welcome. When you get to them, hope you enjoy them.

Spitamenes,

Drat! That’s that idea scuppered!

I did see a cartoon series a while back that told the Alexander story and maybe it was the same thing, but I don’t remember Porus as a vampire. Certainly a different approach. Wish I’d thought of a phalanx of Macedonian vampires!

I’m trying to be more commercial by going for the vampire type novel, but I’ve actually opted for a goddess called Ishtar (as in Ishtar Gate) as the adversary. Plus I’m throwing in some creatures from Sumerian mythology. I’m not used to writing horror stories and I was stalled for quite some time, but I’ve got underway again and am enjoying the research and the physical act of writing. Only thing is my lunch hours sometimes stretch a bit longer than an hour…

Derek
ScottOden

Post by ScottOden »

Marcus, Derek (and anyone else interested),

I'm in the early stages of putting together an anthology of short stories (3K-7K words) about the zombies of antiquity :) It's an open call, so anyone can submit, and I'll select the best (most sound research coupled with storytelling skillz and liberally sprinkled with zombies) to be published. Certain details, like pay rates and publisher, are sketchy, still, but my agent is pretty confident he can get a good deal for all involved (I'm hoping to pay 5-7 cents a word). Here's a link to the announcement, along with more detail on the guidelines:

http://scottoden.wordpress.com/2012/01/ ... the-agora/

Care to give it a go?

Best,

Scott
marcus
Somatophylax

Post by marcus »

derek wrote:I’m trying to be more commercial by going for the vampire type novel, but I’ve actually opted for a goddess called Ishtar (as in Ishtar Gate) as the adversary. Plus I’m throwing in some creatures from Sumerian mythology.
It might be worth looking at a few other Mesopotamian deities before you definitely go with Ishtar, Derek. To me, Ishtar doesn't really work as an adversary, being more of a love goddess (although she did have, in some places, a more warlike aspect and was not always so terribly nice). Tiamat is a good one, though - originally representing all the salt water of the earth, in the Creation Epic Tiamat became very much the 'enemy', and was eventually cast down by Marduk, the 'good' and 'heroic' god.

I have a nice piece in one book which describes how Tiamat: "gathered around her a certain number of the gods and gave birth to enormous serpents with sharp teeth, merciless in slaughter, to terrible dragons with glittering scales, to tempest-monsters, savage dogs, to scorpion-men, furious hurricanes, fish-men and rams."

Do you want to PM me with your email address, and if you want we can carry on this separately from the forum?

ATB
Marcus
At Amazon US
At Amazon UK
marcus
Somatophylax

Post by marcus »

ScottOden wrote:Marcus, Derek (and anyone else interested),

I'm in the early stages of putting together an anthology of short stories (3K-7K words) about the zombies of antiquity :) It's an open call, so anyone can submit, and I'll select the best (most sound research coupled with storytelling skillz and liberally sprinkled with zombies) to be published. Certain details, like pay rates and publisher, are sketchy, still, but my agent is pretty confident he can get a good deal for all involved (I'm hoping to pay 5-7 cents a word). Here's a link to the announcement, along with more detail on the guidelines:

http://scottoden.wordpress.com/2012/01/ ... the-agora/

Care to give it a go?

Best,

Scott
Hi Scott - well, I think you know I'm already interested, and I'm thinking about an Assyrian one. I'll get back to you! :evil:

ATB
Marcus
At Amazon US
At Amazon UK
spitamenes
Hetairos (companion)

Post by spitamenes »

Derek,
I got the idea of a phalanx of Macedonian vampires from your post, so by all means, use it to your liking! I'd actually feel pretty happy about it if it found it's way into your book. :D
The "Reign" anime series didn't have any vampires, so your safe with your idea still. And the only time it had zombies was at the very end when Alexander had to fight Porus (Darius' zombie). So it's not really a zombie story, just the final battle. It is a very strange series. But it's entertaining to say the least.
When you get around to starting the horror book, please keep me in mind, I'd love to pass some ideas your way to see if you like them. Alexander has been a big part of my life for years, as has been horror movies and novels. So combining them would be a lot of fun! :D

Best of luck to you!
Spitamenes
derek

Post by derek »

Marcus,

I put Ishtar’s name because I thought more people would have heard of her, but in the book she’s a double act with her evil sister Erishkigal, Queen of the Underworld. Ishtar actually plays more of the love interest. Yes, I’ll send you a PM with a more detailed plot summary.

Scott,

Yes, the anthology sounds great. I’ll certainly mull it over and see if I can come up with something suitable. Thanks for letting us know about it.

Derek
derek

Post by derek »

Spitamenes,

I’ve got the plot fairly well established now and am up to 70,000 words, so I’m afraid it’s too late to slot in a phalanx of Macedonian vampires. But take a look at Scott’s anthology posting above and that’s crying out for a phalanx of Macedonian zombies! Yes, please, by all means share your ideas, but if you have the imagination then you should go for it yourself. With short stories, just one good idea is enough.

Derek
spitamenes
Hetairos (companion)

Post by spitamenes »

I think I will have a crack at it. I have never really tried writing before but there's no time like the present to begin! It's gonna be terrible! :D
I kinda like bad zombie movies though, maybe people will like my bad zombie book :D
jan
Strategos (general)

Post by jan »

Thank you for the great advice, Scott and Derek. I do appreciate it. I just finished watching the Oliver Stone debacle of a film. It is a joke in my opinion and an insult. But what can you do except hope for better. I have not read the Mary Renault books on Alexander. I read one which I found preposterous. The book on Bagoas. I have not read any others. I have read Steve Pressfields books but I like only two, one on King Leonidas and the Battle of Thermopylae, and The Legend of Bagger Vance. His Virtues of War was dreadful. I read Empire if Ashes and hated it. I appreciate all the information about self publishing. I have heard good things about it for a few people. I have a long way to go before my effort will be ready. I am considering writing units in a blog and then having that published as a book also. That way it is published and accessible. Any thoughts on that? Thanks so much.
chris_taylor

Post by chris_taylor »

[quote="jan"] I have not read the Mary Renault books on Alexander. I read one which I found preposterous. The book on Bagoas."

You may dislike the Persian Boy for its basic assumption (that Bagoas was more important than history gives him credit for), but for a writer, it is well worth studying:

a) it has a flawless dramatic structure - a staggering feat for a novel that adheres to historical chronology

b) its POV is consistent throughout. unlike most others writers, Renault never gives in to the temptation to include stories / thoughts about which the narrator could not possibly have known.

c) she invents an English syntax that credibly portrays the speech pattern of an educated, non-native speaker

Chris.
All men by nature desire understanding. Aristotle.
marcus
Somatophylax

Post by marcus »

jan wrote:I read one which I found preposterous. The book on Bagoas. I have not read any others.
I'd be interested to know why you found it preposterous, Jan.

Anyway, as you are hoping to write about Alexander's childhood and youth, I would advise you not to read "Fire From Heaven", at least until you've finished yours. You might find yourself over-influenced.
jan wrote:I read Empire if Ashes and hated it.
I wouldn't go so far as to say that I hated it, but I have to say that I wasn't massively impressed.

ATB
Marcus
At Amazon US
At Amazon UK