New Alexander novel

Recommend, or otherwise, books on Alexander (fiction or non-fiction). Promote your novel here!

Moderator: pothos moderators

marcus
Somatophylax

New Alexander novel

Post by marcus »

Dear all,

Celeste Tracy, who for a number of years was a regular contributor to Pothos, has now released her Alexander novel, in paperback and for Kindle.

On Amazon US you can find it at: In the Theater of the World

On Amazon UK you can find it at: In the Theater of the World

It is also available through Amazon France, Italy, Germany and Spain (I assume, at least for Kindle).

I have read it, and indeed reviewed it for Amazon.
Marcus
Sine doctrina vita est quasi mortis imago
At Amazon US
At Amazon UK
jan
Strategos (general)

Re: New Alexander novel

Post by jan »

Thanks, Marcus, I read your review. I will make one comment about this book and that is that the cover does not appeal to me. I hope to read this book sometime. Your review did help a lot. Thanks so much.
jan
Strategos (general)

Post by jan »

Hello Marcus,

I am rather concerned about this novel that you have reviewed since I read more about it at another site. I read an interview with the author who gives a rundown of the basic premise of the book. I have sent the first draft of my novel to Ann Katrin Mansson and Maria Dellaporte of Greece to be used as each sees fit to do, despite some cut and paste problems which I had when trying to assemble all the various parts together. Alexander's life is such that naturally when one is historically accurate, all novels will use the same anecdotes. One cannot escape that. But I am troubled by the interview which sounds too much like a copy of my own novel which I do not fully appreciate. However, I have not read Tracy's book so I do not know what it is that she has written. I only know my own work. That is all I can say for now. I admit that my draft is rough, unpolished, purposefully so, and that it is not full of descriptions about landscapes, or terrain. It is basic but simple and forthright. Some parts of it are available to be read at another Alexander discussion group. I am very concerned about this problem in plot sequence however. Since you have read Tracy's book and have not read mine, you would be the only person who would know if there is any similarity between the two. I will wait until the paperbook is published before I read hers as I will also wait to see what Ann-Katrin responds to my effort after she has finished reading it.
marcus
Somatophylax

Post by marcus »

jan wrote:But I am troubled by the interview which sounds too much like a copy of my own novel which I do not fully appreciate. However, I have not read Tracy's book so I do not know what it is that she has written.
Er ... OK. What do you mean, you "do not fully appreciate", Jan? As Celeste has already published her novel ... and as you haven't read it ... I'm not sure what it is you can be objecting to. Prescient plagiarism, maybe?

ATB
Marcus
At Amazon US
At Amazon UK
jan
Strategos (general)

Post by jan »

HI Marcus, I have no idea if there is any plagiarism at all. I have had my computer hacked into for gaining access to my debit card which means that anyone could probably get into any other part of it if they chose. The article that I read listed all the areas of Alexander's childhood that seemed eerily similar to mine. I am sure that there are many differences but it sent out red flags to me. I have not read her book and won't buy a kindle so that I will have to wait until the paperback edition is published before I ever will read it. I was unaware of the author until your review.

I have placed a copy of my first draft in its bad editing form on alexander-macedon discussion group for you and anyone who chooses to do so to read. I admit that it is a labor of love, as it is a loving book rather than an intellectual historical narraitve. It is purely imaginative, but the purpose is to show the influences of history and literature on Alexander's fertile mind. I hope you will enjoy coming to learn my version of a young Alexander. I do follow the historical record fairly closely...not trying to jumble the facts.

Jan :D
marcus
Somatophylax

Post by marcus »

jan wrote:HI Marcus, I have no idea if there is any plagiarism at all. I have had my computer hacked into for gaining access to my debit card which means that anyone could probably get into any other part of it if they chose. The article that I read listed all the areas of Alexander's childhood that seemed eerily similar to mine. I am sure that there are many differences but it sent out red flags to me. I have not read her book and won't buy a kindle so that I will have to wait until the paperback edition is published before I ever will read it. I was unaware of the author until your review.
I don't think you need to worry that Celeste has hacked into your computer and ripped off your book, Jan. I think I can safely say that she completed the book long before you began writing yours.

As for "areas of Alexander's childhood" ... well, there aren't really that many to choose from.

Honestly, I don't think you need to concern yourself.

All the best
Marcus
At Amazon US
At Amazon UK
Alexias
Strategos (general)

Post by Alexias »

This novel is copyrighted 2004.

Could I ask, what's your other discussion forum?
agesilaos
Strategos (general)

Post by agesilaos »

I do believe thet medication is available, Jan, you are displaying symptoms of paranoid psychosis; I do not say this flippantly, i have experience of lunacy get help/ Taphoi is bad at historical process but he is not insane only, I cannot say uneducated since is; only not in the field of ancient history :P

Please Pm me, even if it is just to tell me to FDR off :D
When you think about, it free-choice is the only possible option.