Books about Alexander for schools

Recommend, or otherwise, books on Alexander (fiction or non-fiction). Promote your novel here!

Moderator: pothos moderators

marcus
Somatophylax

Re: Books about Alexander for schools

Post by marcus »

Paralus wrote:You're beginning to sound like the Salaminia Marcus. Having added a Grad Dip Ed to her BAppSc (after all these years) she now complains of chemistry long forgotten (by herself) and students with the recollection of Alzheimers sufferers!

Just registered for Glasgow by the way. Diodorus here I come. Must stop over in London for a few days. Pity the city wants to rent dog kennels for 180-250 AUD per day - many sans air-con in August (yes, I know, as a "colonial" the "heat" shouldn't worry). The reviews on TripAdvisor are nearly all awful!
What an apt description! Still, it's the tiny size of the rooms that I would consider more of a frustration than the price ... just. I remember organising a conference a few years ago, when we put up all our delegates (from all over the world) in a hotel in Bloomsbury. Cost the earth ... but our Canadian delegate had a room with a stonking great big structural pillar in the middle of the room. It was only luck that prevented them from having to cut a square foot or two out of the bed to make it fit!

If you could stop off in Nottingham on the way back, once I'm back from Belgrade, I'd be happy to show you the wineries of Robin Hood country!

ATB
Marcus
Sine doctrina vita est quasi mortis imago
At Amazon US
At Amazon UK
Paralus
Chiliarch

Post by Paralus »

marcus wrote:If you could stop off in Nottingham on the way back, once I'm back from Belgrade, I'd be happy to show you the wineries of Robin Hood country!

ATB
Mmmmmm.... Nottingham. Mmmmmmm.... wineries. Mmmmmm.... wineries in Robin Hood county.

Must prepare by sending the liver to a health farm.
Paralus
Ἐπὶ τοὺς πατέρας, ὦ κακαὶ κεφαλαί, τοὺς μετὰ Φιλίππου καὶ Ἀλεξάνδρου τὰ ὅλα κατειργασμένους;
Wicked men, you sin against your fathers, who conquered the whole world under Philip and Alexander.

Academia.edu
marcus
Somatophylax

Post by marcus »

Paralus wrote:
marcus wrote:If you could stop off in Nottingham on the way back, once I'm back from Belgrade, I'd be happy to show you the wineries of Robin Hood country!

ATB
Mmmmmm.... Nottingham. Mmmmmmm.... wineries. Mmmmmm.... wineries in Robin Hood county.

Must prepare by sending the liver to a health farm.
While you're getting the liver health certificate sorted out, I'm in Belgrade 26-29 August. In school Tuesday 30th August to Friday 2 September. Weekend of 3 and 4 September totally free.

(By the way, the offer is open to any Pothosian, at any time, as the wineries of Robin Hood country won't be going anywhere ... and for those who have any interest in history(?), Nottingham does boast the OLDEST PUB IN ENGLAND, founded 1192 ...)

ATB
Marcus
Sine doctrina vita est quasi mortis imago
At Amazon US
At Amazon UK
spitamenes
Hetairos (companion)

Post by spitamenes »

nottingham?... wineries?... oldest pub in England?... two veteran Pothosians meeting up for drinks?... let the alcohol infused Alexander debates begin! :D can I ref this one?
Paralus
Chiliarch

Post by Paralus »

marcus wrote: Weekend of 3 and 4 September totally free.

ATB
Hmm... Conference winds up Friday evening. The current plan was to hop a Virgin (train) back to Euston and then out to Heathrow to depart Saturday night - time constraints with a thirteen and fifteen year old being house-sat playing their inevitable part. Air /changeover times and timezoning would see me red-eye into Oz at the proverbial "sparrow f*&t" of 06:15. Will look into changing that with a view to a train trip to Nottingham on the Saturday morning; Nottingham - Euston on Sunday.
spitamenes wrote:nottingham?... wineries?... oldest pub in England?... two veteran Pothosians meeting up for drinks?... let the alcohol infused Alexander debates begin! :D can I ref this one?
Absolutely.
Paralus
Ἐπὶ τοὺς πατέρας, ὦ κακαὶ κεφαλαί, τοὺς μετὰ Φιλίππου καὶ Ἀλεξάνδρου τὰ ὅλα κατειργασμένους;
Wicked men, you sin against your fathers, who conquered the whole world under Philip and Alexander.

Academia.edu
Nicator
Hetairos (companion)

Post by Nicator »

My 2 cents worth on Renault...If it weren't for her masterfully written book "The Nature of Alexander" I may have never written my own book. That being said, i'll emphasize the word 'written' because it is her writing style that I found so enticing. And her book kicked me into a different level of curiosity that hasn't ended to this day. A strong word of caution though, her book borders on fantasy in places, as she was a magnificent Alexander fan. Peter Green is still my favorite Alexander read but I found the most balanced modern book to be ALEXANDER THE GREAT from Paul Cartledge. Good luck in whatever you choose.
Later Nicator

Thus, rain sodden and soaked, under darkness cloaked,
Alexander began, his grand plan, invoked...

The Epic of Alexander