Plutarch's essays On the Fortune or Virtue of Alexander

Recommend, or otherwise, books on Alexander (fiction or non-fiction). Promote your novel here!

Moderator: pothos moderators

Taphoi
Hetairos (companion)

Plutarch's essays On the Fortune or Virtue of Alexander

Post by Taphoi »

As a Christmas offering, I have uploaded a pdf scan of an English translation of Plutarch's essays On the Fortune or Virtue of Alexander by John Philips (aka Phillips) as the first entry in a new folder for antique Book Scans on my website. You can find it at this link:
http://www.alexanderstomb.com/main/imag ... /index.htm
These essays provide a colourful Graeco-Roman perspective on the controversial matter (I'm sure it must have been discussed on Pothos) of whether Alexander's successes were due to prowess or luck (an issue which seems first to have been highlighted by Cleitarchus). This version was published in a 1684 edition of Plutarch's Moralia, which I have in my library. The plan is gradually to incorporate scans of more of my antique (out of copyright) volumes on Alexander in this folder.

Best wishes,

Andrew
marcus
Somatophylax

Re: Plutarch's essays On the Fortune or Virtue of Alexander

Post by marcus »

Taphoi wrote:As a Christmas offering, I have uploaded a pdf scan of an English translation of Plutarch's essays On the Fortune or Virtue of Alexander by John Philips (aka Phillips) as the first entry in a new folder for antique Book Scans on my website. You can find it at this link:
http://www.alexanderstomb.com/main/imag ... /index.htm
Thanks for this link, Andrew. It's always nice to see really old editions of books - and the prose is delightful. I look forward to seeing more as you put it on your site.

ATB (and happy Christmas!)
Marcus
Sine doctrina vita est quasi mortis imago
At Amazon US
At Amazon UK