Interesting text book on Alexander

Recommend, or otherwise, books on Alexander (fiction or non-fiction). Promote your novel here!

Moderator: pothos moderators

marcus
Somatophylax

Interesting text book on Alexander

Post by marcus »

Dear all,

I received from Amazon today Alexander the Great (Greece & Rome: Texts and Contexts), published by the Cambridge University Press.

It's written for "advanced secondary school" and undergraduate students, and presents sources in translation (largely, if not entirely, Plutarch and Arrian, from what I've looked at so far). There's a helpful glossary on each page, and each section of source has a number of questions for study, further study, and critical appreciation of the sources.

It's rather good, and if you are not overly familiar with the main sources and wish to read them with a more detailed and critical eye, the questions look as if they can be quite helpful.

For example, after citing Plutarch Alexander 6, the taming of Bucephalus, the questions posed are:
1. What elements of legend or folktale might Plutarch's account of this incident contain?

2. How would you describe Alexander's relationship with his father, based on this account alone?

3. Would you agree that Plutarch is trying to draw a parallel between Alexander's temperament and that of Bucephalus? If so, what is it?
That third question, particularly, is an interesting one, and one I had not really considered. I think I shall find this book rather good, especially in terms of making me consider some of the episodes that I profess to know so well. Perhaps I/we might use it to stimulate future discussion on this forum?

ATB
Marcus
Sine doctrina vita est quasi mortis imago
At Amazon US
At Amazon UK
amyntoros
Somatophylax

Re: Interesting text book on Alexander

Post by amyntoros »

marcus wrote:
For example, after citing Plutarch Alexander 6, the taming of Bucephalus, the questions posed are:
1. What elements of legend or folktale might Plutarch's account of this incident contain?

2. How would you describe Alexander's relationship with his father, based on this account alone?

3. Would you agree that Plutarch is trying to draw a parallel between Alexander's temperament and that of Bucephalus? If so, what is it?
That third question, particularly, is an interesting one, and one I had not really considered. I think I shall find this book rather good, especially in terms of making me consider some of the episodes that I profess to know so well. Perhaps I/we might use it to stimulate future discussion on this forum?
I'd have to answer "No" to the third question. I mean, we could probably agree that they both had a fiery temper, but we're told that Bucephalus was afraid of (greatly disurbed by) his own shadow. Now that's any kind of parallel that Alexander would have liked, nor do I think Plutarch meant to imply. Plus Bucephalus was tamed by Alexander and I don't see anything in Plutarch to suggest he thought Alexander tameable by man nor beast. :)

Best regards,
Amyntoros

Pothos Lunch Room Monitor
marcus
Somatophylax

Post by marcus »

amyntoros wrote: I'd have to answer "No" to the third question. I mean, we could probably agree that they both had a fiery temper, but we're told that Bucephalus was afraid of (greatly disurbed by) his own shadow. Now that's any kind of parallel that Alexander would have liked, nor do I think Plutarch meant to imply. Plus Bucephalus was tamed by Alexander and I don't see anything in Plutarch to suggest he thought Alexander tameable by man nor beast. :)
Please don't think for a moment that I have spent any time considering an answer to that third question - I just thought it was an interesting question! :D You might well be right. I do think that the episode, of course, says a lot about Alexander's character, not just as an early-years expert on horses, being fearless, standing up to his father, etc., but also possibly as the "tamer of barbarians". That, of course, would have been the purpose of Plutarch's including the story, as an exemplar of Alexander's character. As you say, beyond them both having a fiery temper, I'm not sure whether any comparisons between Alexander and Bucephalus can be drawn.

However, this shows that the questions posed in the book could be of use in providing the basis for some interesting discussions!

ATB
Marcus
Sine doctrina vita est quasi mortis imago
At Amazon US
At Amazon UK
sikander
Somatophylax

Post by sikander »

3. Would you agree that Plutarch is trying to draw a parallel between Alexander's temperament and that of Bucephalus? If s"o, what is it?"

Greetings,

<Laughing> I would have to agree with Amyntoros. If I were a student, my answer would probably be:
"No, but it can be supposed the author of the question felt there was a parallel, so the only balanced question would have to be: "Would you agree with the author that Plutarch..etc. If so, what it it? If not, why not?" And then would go on to explain my answer...

I dislike questions that try to lead the student's thinking or perception... <chuckling>

Regards,
Sikander