Royal Hunting in Antiquity by M. Seyer

Recommend, or otherwise, books on Alexander (fiction or non-fiction). Promote your novel here!

Moderator: pothos moderators

rocktupac
Pezhetairos (foot soldier)

Royal Hunting in Antiquity by M. Seyer

Post by rocktupac »

I was reading on the Pothos website that Martin Seyer published a dissertation on Royal Hunting in Antiquity, and I was wondering where I could get a copy of it? Also, I would prefer if it were in English.

Thank you for your help!
-Scott B.
amyntoros
Somatophylax

Re: Royal Hunting in Antiquity by M. Seyer

Post by amyntoros »

rocktupac wrote:I was reading on the Pothos website that Martin Seyer published a dissertation on Royal Hunting in Antiquity, and I was wondering where I could get a copy of it? Also, I would prefer if it were in English.

Thank you for your help!
Hi Scott.

Did a bit of Googling for the professor - not an easy task as there's another, very prolific "Martin Seyer" who writes technical and computer stuff. After a bit of deft search editing I found a page on the professor which included his email, so I wrote to him. And the lovely man sent me a reply in about 30 minutes! :) He said ...
Thank you for your interest in my book about hunting. It has been published in 2007 with the title "Der Herrscher als Jäger. Untersuchungen zur königlichen Jagdim persischen und makedonischen Reich vom 6.-4. Jahrhundert v. Chr. sowie unter den Diadochen Alexanders des Großen" i.e. unfortunately only in German.

Attached to this mail I send you the table of contents as a pdf.

If you are really interested to purchase copies although the book is in German you can do this at the publisher http://www.phoibos.at
So, unfortunately, the book isn't available in English. I say unfortunately because I can figure out enough German to garner from the contents that there's an awful lot of interesting "hunting" info on ancient Macedonian kings, Alexander, and the Successors. If you like, PM me with your email address (not sure if the one I have is current) and I'll copy the contents for you.

All the best,
Amyntoros

Pothos Lunch Room Monitor
rocktupac

Post by rocktupac »

amyntoros wrote:
rocktupac wrote:I was reading on the Pothos website that Martin Seyer published a dissertation on Royal Hunting in Antiquity, and I was wondering where I could get a copy of it? Also, I would prefer if it were in English.

Thank you for your help!
Hi Scott.

Did a bit of Googling for the professor - not an easy task as there's another, very prolific "Martin Seyer" who writes technical and computer stuff. After a bit of deft search editing I found a page on the professor which included his email, so I wrote to him. And the lovely man sent me a reply in about 30 minutes! :) He said ...
Thank you for your interest in my book about hunting. It has been published in 2007 with the title "Der Herrscher als Jäger. Untersuchungen zur königlichen Jagdim persischen und makedonischen Reich vom 6.-4. Jahrhundert v. Chr. sowie unter den Diadochen Alexanders des Großen" i.e. unfortunately only in German.

Attached to this mail I send you the table of contents as a pdf.

If you are really interested to purchase copies although the book is in German you can do this at the publisher http://www.phoibos.at
So, unfortunately, the book isn't available in English. I say unfortunately because I can figure out enough German to garner from the contents that there's an awful lot of interesting "hunting" info on ancient Macedonian kings, Alexander, and the Successors. If you like, PM me with your email address (not sure if the one I have is current) and I'll copy the contents for you.

All the best,
Wow! Thank you so much. That was very very kind of you to go to such lengths! I would love to read his work but, unfortunately, my German is not that good at all. So I'm afraid it probably wouldn't be much good to me. But thank you again very much.
-Scott B.
amyntoros
Somatophylax

Post by amyntoros »

You're very welcome. And it wasn't any trouble at all, really. I rather like a challenge, plus you had piqued my interest in the book. If it was available in English I would have bought a copy for myself. This is the kind of subject matter I prefer to read these days as it's becoming more and more difficult to work my way through "another" biography. :)

All the best,
Amyntoros

rocktupac

Post by rocktupac »

amyntoros wrote:If it was available in English I would have bought a copy for myself. This is the kind of subject matter I prefer to read these days as it's becoming more and more difficult to work my way through "another" biography. :)
Oh I totally agree! In fact, reading biography after biography actually lead to my broadening of interests surrounding Alexander: first to the Macedonian army in general, then to Philip, and finally to the history of Macedonia. Now I'm starting to look on less of a macro level and focus in on the micro (e.g. the role of the sarissa-phalanx, Macedonian armor, wine in Macedonia, etc.).
-Scott B.
amyntoros
Somatophylax

Post by amyntoros »

rocktupac wrote: Now I'm starting to look on less of a macro level and focus in on the micro (e.g. the role of the sarissa-phalanx, Macedonian armor, wine in Macedonia, etc.).
Oooh, please post - start a new thread if you wish - if/when you find any books or articles with info on Macedonian wine. I've long been interested in the social and cultural aspects of Alexander's time (and am currently lusting after a new academic book on ancient furniture!) A while ago I picked up Gods, Men, and Wine by William Younger, a substantial "coffee table" book. Unfortunately there isn't a mention of Macedonia, but with over seventy pages related to ancient Greek wine I still think it is well worth the few dollars I paid for it. And it's nice, for once, to see a writer unequivocally state that the Greek Maenads were "drunk on the god" and not on wine!
Amyntoros