The Golden Mean

Recommend, or otherwise, books on Alexander (fiction or non-fiction). Promote your novel here!

Moderator: pothos moderators

ruthaki
Strategos (general)

The Golden Mean

Post by ruthaki »

Here's an interesting new book by Vancouver writer Anabell Lyon, THE GOLD MEAN, in Aristotle's point of view when he is hired to tutor young Alexander. a really excellent read and she was nominated for 3 top literary prizes for this first novel. Didn't make the Giller Prize, but has just won the $23,000 Royal Bank Writer's award. And an excellent person too. I had the honour of introducing her at a workshop at the surrey Writer's Conference here in BC in Oct. and have connected with her from time to time on Facebook.
Rubén Alejandro

Re: The Golden Mean

Post by Rubén Alejandro »

Hello , this is very interesting , I was now wondering if I could get to read that
book on internet so where could I get to do so if possible .
As much as I have read and on the topic of Aristotles being brought to
teach Alexander, the king Philip his father wanted Alexander to receive the
best education as intellectual background as well that I deduced on knowledge
of different cultures and a not few but considerable education on philosophy
as well , I really believe Philipos was inspired to give his son a certain
education that would touch his heart as well and not only would fill his mind .
And what I had found so interesting again from what I have read , is that
it so seemed that Alexander took that we could say more heart even , since
he did not agree, again from what I have read or else someone correct me of course,
he did not agree with Aristotle´s point of view of treating people according to their
particular social rank in their particular societies , but what Alexander thought was
that of treating all the very same , as if Alexander had the idea of all human being
being the same with no difference on social category , and to me that it was even
from that standpoint that he would treat kings as kings, but regarding his own
idea still that all human are the same worth , for just being human beings .
ruthaki
Strategos (general)

Post by ruthaki »

I understand a paperback issue is about to be released. It is a popular book here in Canada and the author has been awarded or nominated for a number of literary awards. However, there are some issues with the book (at least after reading it and several of my friends reading it we all agreed there is a lot left out and some errors). The author has never visited Greece and so there is little setting detail and the story is basically character-driven in Aristotle's point of view, which is interesting and leaves you wanting to know more.

It's an easy read, only 300 pages, and seemed to end abruptly. But I'm sure you'ld enjoy reading it and it would be very interesting to get other opinions on it. (Remember, she is writing historical fiction so it is her interpretation of Aristotle. I felt she did a good job of that other than I object to modernisms in the prose and felt there were a number of gaps in the story of his actual teaching the young alexander.)
ruthaki
Strategos (general)

Post by ruthaki »

I wouldn't be surprised if you could get it on Amazon, if not now, soon.