FYI, Alexander and His Successors: Essays from the Antipodes

Recommend, or otherwise, books on Alexander (fiction or non-fiction). Promote your novel here!

Moderator: pothos moderators

Tantalus
Pezhetairos (foot soldier)

FYI, Alexander and His Successors: Essays from the Antipodes

Post by Tantalus »

I did a search and couldn't find this posted yet. But mine came today from Regina Books -

Alexander and His Successors: Essays from the Antipodes.

There's a good variety of interesting articles. I think I will move this one to the top of my "To Be Read" pile.

Also, I saw that coming out at the end of this year is:

Collected Papers on Alexander the Great By Ernst Badian.

These are all reprints. And although some of these articles are hard to find, why does a book of reprints have to cost $135? Grrrr.
Paralus
Chiliarch

Re: FYI, Alexander and His Successors: Essays from the Antipodes

Post by Paralus »

The first is a must. Pat Wheatley indicated that this was actually publishing this year ("eventually"). It is the proceedings of the "Alexander in the Antipodes" symposium some years back.

The material dealing with chronological issues will be interesting. Tom boiy seems to have postulated a realistic solution (From Hight to Low). Be interested to see how this material interprets matters.

Unfortunately no info on his forthcoming Demetrius bio: that too will be a must when it comes off the presses.
Paralus
Ἐπὶ τοὺς πατέρας, ὦ κακαὶ κεφαλαί, τοὺς μετὰ Φιλίππου καὶ Ἀλεξάνδρου τὰ ὅλα κατειργασμένους;
Wicked men, you sin against your fathers, who conquered the whole world under Philip and Alexander.

Academia.edu
Tantalus

Post by Tantalus »

Paralus wrote:Unfortunately no info on his forthcoming Demetrius bio: that too will be a must when it comes off the presses.
I agree! I've been impatiently waiting for this one.

In an email about 2 years ago Pat told me he was "still working on it". I hope he hasn't lost his momentum with it.

I really look forward to it. Demetrius is my favorite character out of the Successor menagerie.

Anyone who can claim that the Goddess Athena is his sister, and then party with his mistresses in the Opisthodomos of the Parthenon, (the back room where the Treasury of Athena was kept), will have an interesting biography!
There is rest and healing in the contemplation of antiquities. - Mark Twain
marcus
Somatophylax

Post by marcus »

Tantalus wrote:I did a search and couldn't find this posted yet. But mine came today from Regina Books -

Alexander and His Successors: Essays from the Antipodes.

There's a good variety of interesting articles. I think I will move this one to the top of my "To Be Read" pile.

Also, I saw that coming out at the end of this year is:

Collected Papers on Alexander the Great By Ernst Badian.

These are all reprints. And although some of these articles are hard to find, why does a book of reprints have to cost $135? Grrrr.
Thanks for the heads up, Tantalus. The "Antipodes" book looks really interesting and I shall open up my piggy-bank this weekend.

A bit annoying about the Badian book - I have all but three of the articles already, so I have to work out the cost-effectiveness of buying the book for the sake of three articles. Still, if I can't get hold of them anywhere else ...

ATB
Marcus
Sine doctrina vita est quasi mortis imago
At Amazon US
At Amazon UK
Tantalus

Post by Tantalus »

marcus wrote:A bit annoying about the Badian book ...
ATB
Isn't it!?
I also have 2 or 3 of those articles. We probably have the same ones. I either got them on JSTOR or by searching used book sites for the old journals. But then, I guess if one gathered all of the articles in that book in this fashion it might come close to $135. But still ...

But I was fortunate in that my copy of Alexander and His Successors: Essays from the Antipodes, was a free complimentary copy from Pat Wheatley!

He's a really nice guy. I keep checking his page from time to time to see if there is any new word on his historical biography of Demetrius Poliorcetes, Demetrius the Besieger that was mentioned above.
amyntoros
Somatophylax

Post by amyntoros »

Tantalus wrote:
But I was fortunate in that my copy of Alexander and His Successors: Essays from the Antipodes, was a free complimentary copy from Pat Wheatley!
Fortunate indeed! I put in an order the other day and received an email from the publishers telling me that they are "currently on tour" (?) and will be back on June 23, so unless anyone else bought the book before they left you are currently the only Pothosian with a copy.

Btw, before John Maxwell O'Brien decided to write his biography of Alexander he seriously considered writing a book on Demetrius The Beseiger! :)

Best regards,
Amyntoros

Pothos Lunch Room Monitor
Paralus
Chiliarch

Post by Paralus »

On tour?!

Wouldn't matter: they don't accept Amex so I've got to wait until paypal accepts my bonafides.
Paralus
Ἐπὶ τοὺς πατέρας, ὦ κακαὶ κεφαλαί, τοὺς μετὰ Φιλίππου καὶ Ἀλεξάνδρου τὰ ὅλα κατειργασμένους;
Wicked men, you sin against your fathers, who conquered the whole world under Philip and Alexander.

Academia.edu
Tantalus

Post by Tantalus »

amyntoros wrote:... I put in an order the other day and received an email from the publishers telling me that they are "currently on tour"...
That's strange.

Regina Books at Madison Square Garden? :D

I guess for a short time I have a rare book!
Chiliarch

Post by Chiliarch »

amyntoros wrote :
Fortunate indeed! I put in an order the other day and received an email from the publishers telling me that they are "currently on tour" (?) and will be back on June 23,
I got the same reply and will just have to wait as well.

Talking of successors, has anyone read this book :

The Wars of Alexander's Successors 323 - 281 BC: Commanders and Campaigns v. 1, by Bob Bennett and Mike Roberts from Pen & Sword?

Volume 2 will be out in September.

Susanne
agesilaos
Strategos (general)

Post by agesilaos »

I have started the afore mentioned book and it seems a fair resume of Diodoros certainly not earth shattering in its scholarship but a handy reference. I have also started on the essays in Heckel and Trittle...mmmh several errors in the piece on Issos, 'Darius and the Defence of the Homeland' and whilst Adams is interesting on Philotas I think he pushes the evidence too far in seeing Alexander's reaction as retrospective guilt concerning his knowledge of the plot against Philip. Still, it's good to disagree.

Speaking of which there was a programme on Gaugamela today :'Battleground; Alexander the Great' truly something to disagree with!
When you think about, it free-choice is the only possible option.
marcus
Somatophylax

Post by marcus »

Hi Agesilaos,
agesilaos wrote:I have also started on the essays in Heckel and Trittle...mmmh several errors in the piece on Issos, 'Darius and the Defence of the Homeland' and whilst Adams is interesting on Philotas I think he pushes the evidence too far in seeing Alexander's reaction as retrospective guilt concerning his knowledge of the plot against Philip. Still, it's good to disagree.
Just so that everyone is clear - here you are referring to Heckel and Tritle, "Crossroads of History".

I didn't notice any errors in the Issos article, but I was reading it all very quickly to gain an overview; so I'll take your word for it!

Regarding the Adams article on Philotas - yes, I agree that he pushes it a bit far. However, I did think that his general comments about guilt, associated or otherwise, were interesting ... just, as you say, that he was reading a bit too much into the evidence in order to hang it on Alexander!

The article I thought was excellent was Tritle's, on the murder of Cleitus. A very interesting essay on Post-Traumatic Stress, written by someone who experienced combat in Vietnam and so knew what he was talking about. I recommend the entire book for that article alone!

ATB
Marcus
At Amazon US
At Amazon UK
agesilaos
Strategos (general)

Post by agesilaos »

I have lent the book to another friend but when I get it back i'll run through where I think he has erred; i remember him thinking that the mercenaries were deposited at Tripolis and then the ships rejoined the fleet. You can make Arrian say this but it is not the most obvious route; indeed I think it might have been impossible for them to march from Tripolis and encounter Darius at Thapsacus, as Curtius says they did. Still looking forward to reading the rest of it, though and the other three or so collections doing the rounds.
When you think about, it free-choice is the only possible option.
marcus
Somatophylax

Post by marcus »

agesilaos wrote:I have lent the book to another friend but when I get it back i'll run through where I think he has erred; i remember him thinking that the mercenaries were deposited at Tripolis and then the ships rejoined the fleet. You can make Arrian say this but it is not the most obvious route; indeed I think it might have been impossible for them to march from Tripolis and encounter Darius at Thapsacus, as Curtius says they did. Still looking forward to reading the rest of it, though and the other three or so collections doing the rounds.
Thanks for this - I shall have another look when I get a chance (terribly busy at the moment and haven't had much chance for reading anything over the last week or so).

ATB
Marcus
At Amazon US
At Amazon UK
kurnigandy1

Post by kurnigandy1 »

Sorry to jump into this conversation late, but there are tons of articles in the JSTOR database, if anyone has access to it. I have several 3" binders full of AtG articles: Tarn, Hammond, Badian, etc...

http://www.jstor.org/

As of right now I have printed the first four volumes of JHS, 1890-93. Only about 110 left lol.