The book wot I've been reading

Recommend, or otherwise, books on Alexander (fiction or non-fiction). Promote your novel here!

Moderator: pothos moderators

jan
Strategos (general)

Re: The book wot I've been reading

Post by jan »

It was Charonea but if Curtius said it it could be disputed...I remember it well from the movie with Richard Burton! as if that is proof enough but also other books and authors credit to him as many believe that it made Philip angry for Alexander to even do that for him as it put Alexander up in the eyes of the other soldiers... and as I don't drown in books all day long I am recalling this off the top of my memory bank...I have a very retentive memory...
marcus
Somatophylax

Post by marcus »

jan wrote:It was Charonea but if Curtius said it it could be disputed...
It is very unlikely that it was Chaeronea, not least because Alexander and Philip were on completely different parts of the battlefield.
jan wrote:I remember it well from the movie with Richard Burton!
Uh? Since when has that been a valid historical document?
jan wrote: ... other books and authors credit to him as many believe that it made Philip angry for Alexander to even do that for him as it put Alexander up in the eyes of the other soldiers... and as I don't drown in books all day long I am recalling this off the top of my memory bank...I have a very retentive memory...
I'm not aware that any other books and authors suggest the event was at Chaeronea - although I might be wrong. I have no wish to throw doubt upon the state of your memory, Jan, but I can assure you that the weight of probability is dead against the incident happening at Chaeonea.

ATB
Marcus
Sine doctrina vita est quasi mortis imago
At Amazon US
At Amazon UK
Phoebus
Pezhetairos (foot soldier)

Post by Phoebus »

I read that as sarcasm ("as if that is proof enough...", meaning "as if a movie were proof enough..."). :)