A Bit of Shameless Self-Promo

Recommend, or otherwise, books on Alexander (fiction or non-fiction). Promote your novel here!

Moderator: pothos moderators

jan
Strategos (general)

Correction: It is available at Border's

Post by jan »

Hi Scott, Just to let you know that I just checked at Border's and it is available for $24.95 at Border's but I must order it. I will do that asap. Sure happy about that. :D Jan
jan
Strategos (general)

At Borders

Post by jan »

Scott,
After I wrote this post, I went to Border's Book Store to see if the book could be found there. Luckily, it is on the computer there and I found that I will be able to get a copy of this book. Just to let you know that all is well about your book, and I will be able to purchase it. Thanks for telling us. Jan
ScottOden
Pezhetairos (foot soldier)

Post by ScottOden »

Thanks Vergina, Derek, and Jan!

Jan, Memnon was originally published in hardcover in the US, but it's from a smaller publisher (no where near the size of Transworld, which is a division of Random House). Most bookstores should be able to order a copy, or there's always Amazon ;)

My future releases (at least the next 4) will be available in the US from Thomas Dunne Books/St. Martin's Press, and thus should be actively stocked on bookstore shelves. I'm hoping Transworld picks them up for the UK market, as well (I love the UK covers).

I'm sure that's a lot more than you wanted to know ;) Thanks!

Scott
amyntoros
Somatophylax

Post by amyntoros »

Ah, Scott, you have finally roused me to comment on Memnon (I won’t say review it because I'm not very good at reviews – too many personal observations, methinks).

I truly enjoyed your novel, although I think that readers less knowledgeable about Alexander may gain even more pleasure from it. I.e., when the reader is aware already of Barsine and her importance in Memnon’s life it's hard to establish an air of mystery around her character when first introduced. That's not meant to be a critical statement though – just an observation on the difficulties of writing historical fiction.

As for the story itself … well, you brought tears to my eyes more than once, the first time being when Memnon was still in Rhodes. (Don't want to give too much away here.) And I found your first-person description of Memnon's initial infantry battle to be most memorable and enthralling – I walked with him; fought with him; believed in him. And afterwards …
A swath of destruction stretched a mile in width and continued on for two, the field of Ares. The War God disdained oxen, preferring to let the yoked power of contending armies harrow his demesne. Into this flayed earth poured the fluids of war, the sweat and blood, the bile and bowel, the coward’s piss and the dying man’s tears, mingling to form a sludge that clung to the ankles of those men left standing. The ground itself heaved and shook with the convulsions of the wounded. Slashed torsos and severed limbs lay on carpets of spilled entrails; hands stained black with blood protruded from the mass, splintered weapons yet clutched in immobile fists. Spear shafts projected at angles, some upright, resembling stakes awaiting a transplanted vine. In places, the bright flash of gold embroidery or the shimmer of rich fabric appeared unreal against the devastation, a mirage borne of dehydration.
As for the brief glimpses of Alexander … well, I didn't find him particularly unlikeable – more an enigma, a cipher – which he would have been, I imagine, to those he opposed in the beginning or those who knew comparatively little of him. The Persians, on the other hand, are perhaps a little too likeable, especially Memnon's father-in-law. I would have preferred to see more of the nature of the warrior in him, I think, but I do understand the need to create characters that your readers can identify with and admire. Ah, the problems in writing a novel where the protagonist is an enemy of Alexander and then presenting it to a group where Alexander is esteemed! :) You did, however, a very convincing job. I suspect, also, that many here will not approve of the “twist” at the end. For myself, I was quite delighted. Nice work. :wink:
Last edited by amyntoros on Thu Aug 09, 2007 6:37 am, edited 2 times in total.
Amyntoros

Pothos Lunch Room Monitor
ScottOden
Pezhetairos (foot soldier)

Post by ScottOden »

Amyntoros, I'm happy to hear you enjoyed the book! And thanks for the kind words. If the scene in Rhodes is the one I'm thinking about, then I think that's the scene that sold the book to my publisher -- it made her bawl on the subway ;)

I understand what you're saying, especially about Artabazus. The character kept morphing into Richard Harris from Gladiator -- and who didn't want to give Marcus Aurelius a big 'ol hug? In many ways he became even harder to write than Alexander; the complete paucity of information regarding him, his family, and especially his relationship to Memnon after Mentor's death in about 340 (when he literally vanishes from sight until he surrenders to Alexander in Hyrcania) made any attempt at historical accuracy futile. Why oh why couldn't the Persians keep better records?

I reached the conclusion pretty early on that, save for VD Hanson and the tiny minority who loathe Alexander on principle, it's impossible to write negatively about every aspect of his life. How Memnon reacted to him had to come down to my own feeling -- as unhistorical a thing as you could possibly imagine. I felt that either Memnon just didn't like him, or he thought he would fail (or a little of both). It helped to use Achilles' behavior in the Iliad as a sort of template for his actions (especially at Halicarnassus -- though I can never prove it, I think that was a battle that royally pissed Alexander off, kind of like Tyre).

That battle scene stands as probably one of the finest things I'll ever write. I'm very glad you enjoyed it.

Thanks, again!

Scott