Troy by David Gemmell

Recommend, or otherwise, books on Alexander (fiction or non-fiction). Promote your novel here!

Moderator: pothos moderators

jan
Strategos (general)

Troy by David Gemmell

Post by jan »

David Gemmell in his most recent release uses names skillfully in this book entitled Troy. The picture of him on the jacket is very reminiscent of a photo posted by Ron Criss on Alexander-Macedon website, and that amuses me. His use of the name Xander in this novel makes me think of S and our recent interchanges, just fyi.
marcus
Somatophylax

Re: Troy by David Gemmell

Post by marcus »

Is that "Lord of the Silver Bow", Jan?I haven't read it yet, as I only get books such as those of Gemmell when they come out in paperback. I usually enjoy his books, although I have to say that "Dark Prince" didn't work in my opinion (while "Lion of Macedon", for all its faults, did).Is this new book on Troy any good?ATBMarcus
Marcus
Sine doctrina vita est quasi mortis imago
At Amazon US
At Amazon UK
marcus
Somatophylax

Post by marcus »

Is that "Lord of the Silver Bow", Jan?I haven't read it yet, as I only get books such as those of Gemmell when they come out in paperback. I usually enjoy his books, although I have to say that "Dark Prince" didn't work in my opinion (while "Lion of Macedon", for all its faults, did).Is this new book on Troy any good?ATBMarcus
Marcus
Sine doctrina vita est quasi mortis imago
At Amazon US
At Amazon UK
kate
Pezhetairos (foot soldier)

Post by kate »

I haven't read any of David Gemmel's books, but the reviews for "Lord of the Silver Bow" are good. I was thinking of trying it so I'd be interested to hear the opinion of anyone here who has read it.
Incidentally, is it just my imagination or has Troy become a "hot" subject for fiction lately? There seem to be several new novels about it - maybe as a result of the film perhaps?
Cheers,
Kate
kate
Pezhetairos (foot soldier)

Post by kate »

I haven't read any of David Gemmel's books, but the reviews for "Lord of the Silver Bow" are good. I was thinking of trying it so I'd be interested to hear the opinion of anyone here who has read it.
Incidentally, is it just my imagination or has Troy become a "hot" subject for fiction lately? There seem to be several new novels about it - maybe as a result of the film perhaps?
Cheers,
Kate
Athanasios

Post by Athanasios »

Could be, Kate.Although the film fared no better than Stone's Alexander...My opinion.Regards,
Atha
Athanasios

Post by Athanasios »

Could be, Kate.Although the film fared no better than Stone's Alexander...My opinion.Regards,
Atha
S

Post by S »

Greetings Jan, "His use of the name Xander in this novel makes me think of S and our recent interchanges, just fyi."Recent interchanges? As far as I know, I am the only one who posts as S here (though it is in the "posted by" section). Are you referring to my comment on Renault's work? That was to another Pothosian, I believe. And yes, I still feel Renault is the standard by which all other novelists writing about Alexander's times must be measured. I *did* try to read one of Gemmel's books some time back, but have no comment on it at this time other than to say it was, for me (and this is merely my personal response) a slog to get through.

Regards,
Sikander
S

Post by S »

Greetings Jan, "His use of the name Xander in this novel makes me think of S and our recent interchanges, just fyi."Recent interchanges? As far as I know, I am the only one who posts as S here (though it is in the "posted by" section). Are you referring to my comment on Renault's work? That was to another Pothosian, I believe. And yes, I still feel Renault is the standard by which all other novelists writing about Alexander's times must be measured. I *did* try to read one of Gemmel's books some time back, but have no comment on it at this time other than to say it was, for me (and this is merely my personal response) a slog to get through.

Regards,
Sikander
jan
Strategos (general)

Post by jan »

Hi Marcus, The novel is probably quite good, but I did not finish reading all of it as I sped through it, noting certain passages that had red flags signalling me to read this book. I just saw a movie called Tristan and Isolde, a wonderful film, which because of names in it, King Mark or Markus, made me think of you also. So much for name familiarity. It is all probably coincidence, and I wonder, but throughout it all, I thought of you.
jan
Strategos (general)

Post by jan »

Hi Marcus, The novel is probably quite good, but I did not finish reading all of it as I sped through it, noting certain passages that had red flags signalling me to read this book. I just saw a movie called Tristan and Isolde, a wonderful film, which because of names in it, King Mark or Markus, made me think of you also. So much for name familiarity. It is all probably coincidence, and I wonder, but throughout it all, I thought of you.
jan
Strategos (general)

Post by jan »

Hi Sikander, Xander is a young boy in this novel, but it had reminded me of a post I had sent to you, having nothing to do with Mary Renault at all. The one thing that Mary Renault and I agree about is the treatment of Batis, the eunuch at Garza. We both share that opinion that it was out of character for Alexander to imitate Achilles in his action.
jan
Strategos (general)

Post by jan »

Hi Sikander, Xander is a young boy in this novel, but it had reminded me of a post I had sent to you, having nothing to do with Mary Renault at all. The one thing that Mary Renault and I agree about is the treatment of Batis, the eunuch at Garza. We both share that opinion that it was out of character for Alexander to imitate Achilles in his action.
S

Post by S »

Greetings Jan,Was this a recent post? I don't recall one, except the one you sent a while back about the possibility of a dam causing the destruction of ancient ruins. If you *have* sent one recently, I have not received it to my knowledge.Regards,
Sikander
S

Post by S »

Greetings Jan,Was this a recent post? I don't recall one, except the one you sent a while back about the possibility of a dam causing the destruction of ancient ruins. If you *have* sent one recently, I have not received it to my knowledge.Regards,
Sikander