Book on AGT

Recommend, or otherwise, books on Alexander (fiction or non-fiction). Promote your novel here!

Moderator: pothos moderators

kate
Pezhetairos (foot soldier)

Book on AGT

Post by kate »

Hi Everyone,I've just read a review of a book on Alexander - "Alexander the Great, Journey to the End of the Earth" by Norman Cantor, an American historian. Has anyone on the forum read this one? The review was favourable.Best wishes and a Happy New Year to all,Kate
jan
Strategos (general)

Re: Book on AGT

Post by jan »

Yes, Gail, I have read this book. If one uses the computer at Border's to access books on Alexander, use Arrian's Anabasis and all the books that are available on Alexander will pop up. It appears to be the key to all the available books in the store.Cantor's book is an erudite, concise study, but again he makes the same usual assumptions that modern day scholars seem to enjoy in their discussions. Nothing much new to consider.In Business and Management is a book on Alexander also which uses his various experiences as themes for leadership. It is quite good.
jan
Strategos (general)

Post by jan »

Yes, Gail, I have read this book. If one uses the computer at Border's to access books on Alexander, use Arrian's Anabasis and all the books that are available on Alexander will pop up. It appears to be the key to all the available books in the store.Cantor's book is an erudite, concise study, but again he makes the same usual assumptions that modern day scholars seem to enjoy in their discussions. Nothing much new to consider.In Business and Management is a book on Alexander also which uses his various experiences as themes for leadership. It is quite good.
rjones2818

Post by rjones2818 »

Kate,The book is a piece of tripe, for the most part. The map of Alexander's empire shows Alexandria at Siwa, Cantor mistakes the Peloponnesian War for the Persian invasion(s), and several other whoppers.It is bad enough that I would question any other work by the late Mr. Cantor.
rjones2818

Post by rjones2818 »

Kate,The book is a piece of tripe, for the most part. The map of Alexander's empire shows Alexandria at Siwa, Cantor mistakes the Peloponnesian War for the Persian invasion(s), and several other whoppers.It is bad enough that I would question any other work by the late Mr. Cantor.
kate

Post by kate »

Thanks Jan and Rex. Since it doesn't sound as if this book adds anything new I won't buy it, but I might get it out of my local library if they can get hold of a copy for me.Cheers,
Kate
kate

Post by kate »

Thanks Jan and Rex. Since it doesn't sound as if this book adds anything new I won't buy it, but I might get it out of my local library if they can get hold of a copy for me.Cheers,
Kate