LAST VOTING CHANCE BOOK TOP 10

Recommend, or otherwise, books on Alexander (fiction or non-fiction). Promote your novel here!

Moderator: pothos moderators

nickw

LAST VOTING CHANCE BOOK TOP 10

Post by nickw »

Hi Comapanions ---Thanks for the feedback on the Forum and especially by email. Great. For all of you who didn't yet: here is your chance to contribute to Alexander's Christmas Book Top-10.The rules. Your favorite book get 3 points. Your runner up gets 2. Any other book you mention gets 1 point. And all books already in the Top 10 get 1 point for starters (not that that makes a difference anyway).Please contribute your votes. What are you favorite Alexander books? The new Alexander Top 10 will be decided on next Saturday the 24th of December.Regards ---Nick
jan
Strategos (general)

Re: LAST VOTING CHANCE BOOK TOP 10

Post by jan »

Hi Nick, I like John O'Brien's The Invisible Enemy with all its allusions to the Iliad. I like Arthur Weigall but he is preWWII, and is not a contemporary. I respect and like NGL Hammond's The Genius of Alexander. I also like Robin Lane Fox's latest version, the one with Colin Farrell as the marker on the book shelf. I disagree with Robin on much but I like it that he has so much information about the Persians. Most overlook that. And I like Guy MacLean Roger's book as it is very intelligently and thoughtfully written to explain why it is that we should care about Alexander at all.
jan
Strategos (general)

Post by jan »

Hi Nick, I like John O'Brien's The Invisible Enemy with all its allusions to the Iliad. I like Arthur Weigall but he is preWWII, and is not a contemporary. I respect and like NGL Hammond's The Genius of Alexander. I also like Robin Lane Fox's latest version, the one with Colin Farrell as the marker on the book shelf. I disagree with Robin on much but I like it that he has so much information about the Persians. Most overlook that. And I like Guy MacLean Roger's book as it is very intelligently and thoughtfully written to explain why it is that we should care about Alexander at all.
Paralus
Chiliarch

Post by Paralus »

G'day Nick."Alexander of Macedon" Peter Green (no surprises there I guess). Still the best historical biography I've read."Alexander The Great" Paul Cartledge in a near photo finish.Robin Lane Fox for third for much the same reason as Janet as well as a bslance to the above. He does though travel a little too close to the "brotherhood of man" for my liking. Just on the Persians, a new book "Persian Fire" by Tom Holland does a mighty good job of backgrounding the Persians - even though at the time of the "Persian Wars".Paralus.
Paralus
Ἐπὶ τοὺς πατέρας, ὦ κακαὶ κεφαλαί, τοὺς μετὰ Φιλίππου καὶ Ἀλεξάνδρου τὰ ὅλα κατειργασμένους;
Wicked men, you sin against your fathers, who conquered the whole world under Philip and Alexander.

Academia.edu
Paralus
Chiliarch

Post by Paralus »

G'day Nick."Alexander of Macedon" Peter Green (no surprises there I guess). Still the best historical biography I've read."Alexander The Great" Paul Cartledge in a near photo finish.Robin Lane Fox for third for much the same reason as Janet as well as a bslance to the above. He does though travel a little too close to the "brotherhood of man" for my liking. Just on the Persians, a new book "Persian Fire" by Tom Holland does a mighty good job of backgrounding the Persians - even though at the time of the "Persian Wars".Paralus.
Paralus
Ἐπὶ τοὺς πατέρας, ὦ κακαὶ κεφαλαί, τοὺς μετὰ Φιλίππου καὶ Ἀλεξάνδρου τὰ ὅλα κατειργασμένους;
Wicked men, you sin against your fathers, who conquered the whole world under Philip and Alexander.

Academia.edu
typhoeus
Pezhetairos (foot soldier)

Post by typhoeus »

I have only read one book by a lady named mary Renault, and I thought that was a fabulous book. Since then I have watched the latest movie on Alexander countless times and continuoulsly rewind the disc so I can clearly hear every word that is spoken. A facinating history, isn't it!Sorry I can't contribute much more.
typhoeus

Post by typhoeus »

I have only read one book by a lady named mary Renault, and I thought that was a fabulous book. Since then I have watched the latest movie on Alexander countless times and continuoulsly rewind the disc so I can clearly hear every word that is spoken. A facinating history, isn't it!Sorry I can't contribute much more.
typhoeus

Post by typhoeus »

Oh yeah! thanks to kennyx's post on Burtons movie on Alexander in a post below has inspired me to get a hiold of this movie also - may be a lot to learn from that movie also.
typhoeus

Post by typhoeus »

Oh yeah! thanks to kennyx's post on Burtons movie on Alexander in a post below has inspired me to get a hiold of this movie also - may be a lot to learn from that movie also.
jan
Strategos (general)

Post by jan »

Thanks for reminding me about Peter Green's book, as I have not yet read it in full, but I do recall that I used it to read all about the battle of Issus early in my learning of Alexander. I will still try to read it when I get the time. Right now, I am reading xenophon's cyropaedia and love it! It is about Cyrus the Great, and is fascinating as Xenophon is a great writer. His having Cyrus cry Oh Zeus all the time amuses me, as I think that like most authors, he is applying Greek to Persians in his thinking. I am sure that Cyrus would have said something else, whether Zoraster or Ahuramazda is more than I know yet.
jan
Strategos (general)

Post by jan »

Thanks for reminding me about Peter Green's book, as I have not yet read it in full, but I do recall that I used it to read all about the battle of Issus early in my learning of Alexander. I will still try to read it when I get the time. Right now, I am reading xenophon's cyropaedia and love it! It is about Cyrus the Great, and is fascinating as Xenophon is a great writer. His having Cyrus cry Oh Zeus all the time amuses me, as I think that like most authors, he is applying Greek to Persians in his thinking. I am sure that Cyrus would have said something else, whether Zoraster or Ahuramazda is more than I know yet.
kenny
Hetairos (companion)

Post by kenny »

1 Generalship of Alexander2/Alexander killer of men3 Lane Fox
kenny
Hetairos (companion)

Post by kenny »

1 Generalship of Alexander2/Alexander killer of men3 Lane Fox