Kasta III. Head of Sphinx, 323bC,Museum of Cycladic Art

Discuss the culture of Alexander's world and his image in art

Moderator: pothos moderators

system1988
Hetairos (companion)

Kasta III. Head of Sphinx, 323bC,Museum of Cycladic Art

Post by system1988 »

https://www.liberal.gr/politismos/stin- ... lis/403105

The exhibition 'Κάλλος"( Beauty) was inaugurated in Athens some days ago. In the second photo the very large head of the Sphinx found in the tomb of Kasta. 323 bC .Traces of color on the hair and eyes are preserved .She is really beautiful

Photo from the '' Liberal' newspaper
Πάντες άνθρωποι του ειδέναι ορέγονται φύσει
Alexias
Strategos (general)

Re: Kasta III. Head of Sphinx, 323bC,Museum of Cycladic Art

Post by Alexias »

I love the sandal on the statue. and are there traces of yellow paint on the sphinx's hair?
system1988
Hetairos (companion)

Re: Kasta III. Head of Sphinx, 323bC,Museum of Cycladic Art

Post by system1988 »

Τhe hair of the sphinx is red (Probably the original paint was brown )like that of the Persephone in the mosaic of the second chamber of the grave . The head was turned towards those entering the heroon .The other that was not saved, was facing the grave ,One of the symbolism of that movement must be -in my opinion- a reminder of the separation of the 2 states -on one hand the world of the living , on the other that of the dead .The expression of the face is inscrutable

The other statue shown in the photos is the ( famous) 'Dancer from Laconia " .original work of the 5 cent bC probably of the sculptur Callimachus.I agree that the sandal :D is excellent ,like the whole statue ,after all it probably comes from the Acropolis of Athens
Πάντες άνθρωποι του ειδέναι ορέγονται φύσει