Visiting Vergina

Discuss the culture of Alexander's world and his image in art

Moderator: pothos moderators

Sandros

Visiting Vergina

Post by Sandros »

Hello!
I took a look at the part of travel, but have another question. if i am visiting Vergina Museum and Pella, would it be worth to take a trip to the site of ancient Aigai as well? I am especially interested in visting ruins of theatre but willing to know what parts of the site are available for tourists and how long it would take from vergina to go there?
derek
Pezhetairos (foot soldier)

Re: Visiting Vergina

Post by derek »

Hello Sandros,

it's a few years since I was there so you'd need to check the access hasn't changed, but Philip's palace and the theatre are just a short walk up the hill from the tombs. Probably no more than half a mile or a kilometre. Your typical coach tour only does the tombs, so going on your own would allow you to visit the palace and theatre as well. Get directions or you'll be wandering off into the countryside. But there was nothing of the palace above knee height and the theatre was reduced to grassy banks, so you be the judge whether it's a must see.

Derek
delos13

Post by delos13 »

Hello Sandros, I visited all 3 places last May so everything is pretty fresh in my mind. The palace wasn't open to the public but I could see it from the road. I only managed to see the tombs which are magnificent and worthwhile a visit. Not sure what you meant by Vergina Museum, it is a part of the tombs complex. There are additional tombs in Vergina but they were closed to the public. I asked about the theatre but was told it was closed to the public as well but things may change in a year. I was "stationed" in Naoussa from where I visited Mieza ( 20 mins drive), Pella and Vergina (these two approximately 1 hr drive from Naoussa). I have some details in the FB page I created, if you are interested, here is the link https://www.facebook.com/Modern-Geograp ... page_panel . In the beginning I listed all the places I went (including Macedonian triangle). Enjoy your trip!
Sandros

Post by Sandros »

Thanks a lot!
Susa the Great

Post by Susa the Great »

delos13 wrote: I have some details in the FB page I created, if you are interested, here is the link https://www.facebook.com/Modern-Geograp ... page_panel . In the beginning I listed all the places I went (including Macedonian triangle). Enjoy your trip!
Hi Delos13,

I am following your FB page; it's just great!!!
Come live forever with me, or transpire / a flame alone on a funeral pire / We'll build an empire if we so desire, travel the world, and set it on fire.
delos13

Post by delos13 »

Thank you, Susa the Great, I am glad you like it. I am trying to finish my "report" about the places I visited in May 2017 before embarking on the planning my next trip in May 2018. This time I will go to Boeotia and Thessaly and, time permitting, further north. Maybe Amphipolis. :)