Visits to Alexandrian Places

Discuss the culture of Alexander's world and his image in art

Moderator: pothos moderators

sean_m
Hetairos (companion)

Visits to Alexandrian Places

Post by sean_m »

In the past few months there have been some serious scholarly threads and some quarrels. Scholarship is important, and quarrels are part of life, but we are all on this forum for fun. So in this thread, why don't we tell stories about our favourite trips to a place where big Al had also been. In a pinch, museum exhibits could count for those living far away from the Aegean.

I lost the power to turn experiences into stories months ago, but I have been to Pasargadai and "strolled in triumph through Persepolis." In the end, the local sun burned me down rather than the reverse.
My blog (Warning: may contain up to 95% non-Alexandrian content, rated shamelessly philobarbarian by 1 out of 1 Plutarchs)
Paralus
Chiliarch

Re: Visits to Alexandrian Places

Post by Paralus »

sean_m wrote:I lost the power to turn experiences into stories months ago, but I have been to Pasargadai and "strolled in triumph through Persepolis." In the end, the local sun burned me down rather than the reverse.
Intriguing that first part but I envy you Pasargadai. I can list Corinth, Athens, Thebes, Delphi and Chaironeia. Pity time didn't allow Pella and Vergina but I did travel down past the general locale of Kynoskephalai on the way to Thebes via Pharsalus. Wish I'd the time to walk those hills as well.
Paralus
Ἐπὶ τοὺς πατέρας, ὦ κακαὶ κεφαλαί, τοὺς μετὰ Φιλίππου καὶ Ἀλεξάνδρου τὰ ὅλα κατειργασμένους;
Wicked men, you sin against your fathers, who conquered the whole world under Philip and Alexander.

Academia.edu
Xenophon
Hetairos (companion)

Post by Xenophon »

For those who have not been to 'Alexandrian' places, or cannot do so, there is also 'Google Earth' and documentaries such as Michael Wood's "In the footsteps of Alexander the Great".

Only a pale shadow of the real experience perhaps, but still worthwhile.........
Alexias
Strategos (general)

Post by Alexias »

I hope Delos won't mind me passing this link on, but following her recent trip to Greece she has posted lots of excellent photos of various Alexander places and other sites here https://www.facebook.com/Modern-Geograp ... 881417395/.
system1988
Hetairos (companion)

Post by system1988 »

Alexias wrote:I hope Delos won't mind me passing this link on, but following her recent trip to Greece she has posted lots of excellent photos of various Alexander places and other sites here https://www.facebook.com/Modern-Geograp ... 881417395/.

It is for sure that Delos is not a mere tourist but a true traveler. A person who successfully took photographs of mostly uknown places- for example I myself cannot claim that I have visited Calydona. In some of said photos there are seemingly humble ruins but it is those exactly that move a true traveler's heart. It is also impressive for one to have the care to imprint the flora of the visited places that themselves bear the mythological names through the centuries. Congratulations!
Πάντες άνθρωποι του ειδέναι ορέγονται φύσει
system1988
Hetairos (companion)

Post by system1988 »

Following the title, let me present the now "humble" Corinth. The modern city is a rather indifferent example of one when unfairly compared with the ancient city of Corinth. Plus, the prettier version of the same city was destroyed by the 1928 earthqake that devestated the majority of the buildings. What we have now is a city that the citizens of Hellas often pass by but don't stop. I however decided to make a stop there. For swimming with friends. Yes, that is true, swimming. And once I was out of the sea, whoops! there was the statue of Diogenes with Alexander.
3.jpg
3.jpg (121.33 KiB) Viewed 4850 times

But let's not be unfair to the ancient city of Corinth. Recently two statues of young men (kouroi) of 6th BC found their rightful place in the local musuem. They were objects of looting and the perpetrators in order to get a deal of a reduced sentence, decided to reveal the location which turned out to be an ancient rich cemetery.
KOYROI_KLENIAS_550.jpg
KOYROI_KLENIAS_550.jpg (79.58 KiB) Viewed 4850 times

And last but not least, something completely unrelated: I recently read a historical fiction novel by the Spanish author Javier Negrete. I am not aware if it has and English translation but the original title "Alejandro Magno Y Las Aguilas De Roma", "Alexander the Great and the eagles of Rome". My completetely personal opinion is that it is an very well writen book. Since, among other things, gives a story between the many battles between the Romans and the Macedonians, I would like to ask any members of Pothos.org should they have read said book of course, and are knowledgable of military history, to tell us if the described battles are realistically portrayed.
delos13
Pezhetairos (foot soldier)

Post by delos13 »

Alexias wrote:I hope Delos won't mind me passing this link on, but following her recent trip to Greece she has posted lots of excellent photos of various Alexander places and other sites here https://www.facebook.com/Modern-Geograp ... 881417395/.
I obviously not only don't mind but even grateful for your sharing of my page.
system1988 wrote:In some of said photos there are seemingly humble ruins but it is those exactly that move a true traveler's heart.
One just have to let the imagination fly and seemingly humble ruins become the most magnificent structures! :)

Thank you for the kind words about my FB page, Alexias and system1988. I hope it will be of interest to the contributors and visitors to Pothos.
sean_m
Hetairos (companion)

Post by sean_m »

Thanks everyone for their contributions so far. Its good to not just have academic arguments but a variety of things (and not all of us can post exciting news from Greece or Turkey).

Telling stories with pictures is OK too!
My blog (Warning: may contain up to 95% non-Alexandrian content, rated shamelessly philobarbarian by 1 out of 1 Plutarchs)
Susa the Great

Post by Susa the Great »

Hello!

I finally went to Alexandrine places!

Crossed the Bosphoros. By car 8)
DSCF6572.JPG
DSCF6572.JPG (58.89 KiB) Viewed 4529 times
Then went to India!
DSCF7171.JPG
DSCF7171.JPG (46.03 KiB) Viewed 4529 times

After that, and going Beyond Alexander :wink:

DSCF7506.JPG
DSCF7506.JPG (40.78 KiB) Viewed 4529 times
.... Katmandu! This one Alex never dreamed of going. Right? :D
Come live forever with me, or transpire / a flame alone on a funeral pire / We'll build an empire if we so desire, travel the world, and set it on fire.
system1988
Hetairos (companion)

Post by system1988 »

Welcome Susa ! Tell us everything about this wonderful trip !
Susa the Great

Post by Susa the Great »

Hi system1988
A very nice and intense trip, that one! Thanks for asking.
It was not like 'on the footsteps of Alexander', since I wasn't thinking about him much by that time , but it came out to be very thrilling when I could see on the plane flight path screen I was actually crossing all those places -- Syria, Iraq, Iran, Pakistan... Till I reached Mumbai. That was very moving indeed! <3

And Nepal was a very practical decision: tickets' fare was reeeally fair.
And I could see the Himalayas, imagining how the Hindu Kush must be.... So it all ends up on Alex :wink:

Regards
Come live forever with me, or transpire / a flame alone on a funeral pire / We'll build an empire if we so desire, travel the world, and set it on fire.