A brilliant morning at Delphi III

Discuss the culture of Alexander's world and his image in art

Moderator: pothos moderators

system1988
Hetairos (companion)

A brilliant morning at Delphi III

Post by system1988 »

Now, normally you read the posts but there are my mother's words, Pauline's. This is my own post here however.

I had a blast at the Delphi Economic Forum which hosted many prestigious scientists Greeks and from around the globe. The future of Greece was discussed, with hopes that we might get a proper omen from Pythia's influence over the land the forum took place. All in all, a well- hosted, properly prepared and immensely interesting conference with many panels featuring subjects from philosophy of culture to advanced economic theory on micro and macro prospects of our economy.

The result was pleasing to me.

Moreover I barely had time to visit the archaeological site of Delphi (unfortunately not the museum). It was a difficult morning as I only had 30 minutes to visit and take photos of an archaeological site that needs at least 2 hours to be properly appreciated.

Here is a taste. More to follow as Pauline will of course take the opportunity to make some sort of post out of it all!
DSC05456.JPG
DSC05456.JPG (142.46 KiB) Viewed 5734 times
DSC05389.JPG
DSC05389.JPG (219.62 KiB) Viewed 5734 times
Best

John Zervas
Last edited by system1988 on Thu Mar 03, 2016 4:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Πάντες άνθρωποι του ειδέναι ορέγονται φύσει
hiphys
Pezhetairos (foot soldier)

Re: A brilliant morning at Delphi

Post by hiphys »

Thank you, John, for posting these photos. I was two times in Delphi and I remember very well how beautiful it appeared in morning, at noon, and best of all, with full moon at night. But I remember also how hard was the slope to climb, and how gorgeous was to watch the valley of olive trees dawnhill and the sea below!
system1988
Hetairos (companion)

Re: A brilliant morning at Delphi II

Post by system1988 »

First of all thanks, hiphys, for your comment!

Secondly, here is part II of my post

Basically, the "Center of the World" according to ancient Greek religion.

http://s1246.photobucket.com/user/IamSy ... sort=3&o=5

Best

John
hiphys

Post by hiphys »

Your new photos represent well the best of this place, especially the Treasure of the Athenians and the Navel of the World. I'm so happy besides they put a copy of the three bronze snakes with the inscription of all Greek cities that won the war against the Persians (now in Istambul). When I visited Delphi last time there were no snakes and no names of ancient Greek cities: I hope I'll see them sooner or later, because they are very important historical relics!
Xenophon
Hetairos (companion)

Post by Xenophon »

Many thanks for posting your wonderful photos - all your albums, not just these. They allow Pothosians to see things they would otherwise never have the chance to.....

Keep up the good work ! :D
system1988
Hetairos (companion)

Re: A brilliant morning at Delphi III

Post by system1988 »

I was ready to send more photos from that morning but I thought that the son of someon very well known to us had to be first.

I Delphi, in a very prestigious position, Krateros, son of Krateros, one of Alexander's generals, dedicated, perhaps in 320 BC a monument: It is a doric style galery where bronze statues were placed, scenes depicting hunt on which the general saved Alexander from a lion's attack. The monument was identified due to the poem-like dedicative inscription which is saved in its entirety on the north wall of the monument.

If I am not mistaken, the son of Krateros did not follow his father's footsteps and decided to become a scholar.
I cannot remember if general Krateros had already died in 320 BC (?) His son however rushed to make sure this monument stands until today in his honor.

I think the story of the hunt must be true, because at that time all the generals were alive and could deny the tale.
DSC05513.JPG
DSC05513.JPG (187.95 KiB) Viewed 5618 times
Best

Pauline
agesilaos
Strategos (general)

Post by agesilaos »

Krateros died early to mid spring, c May 320 fighting Eumenes, the previous year he had campaigned against the Aetolians and been in the area of Delphi. I too have been to Delphi, but due to keeping my camera in a leather bag the shutter stuck and all my photos look like night shots; at the time i was peeved as alone of the sites I visited you could photograph the museum exhibits and I'd left the camera in my rucksack :evil: As it happens they would just have been more over-exposures, kakadaimonikos, or what?
When you think about, it free-choice is the only possible option.
system1988
Hetairos (companion)

Post by system1988 »

It was 8pm and only the archaiological area was open.; afterwards john and his fiancee had to go to the forum.For the excellent objects of the museum there is the e-library of the foundation of Latsis :D-one has just to google it

I think is ' κακοδαιμονία'
agesilaos
Strategos (general)

Post by agesilaos »

The internet was a military secret when I went in '88; whatever the Greek is it bedeviled my every step; still enjoyed it, though :lol:
system1988
Hetairos (companion)

Post by system1988 »

' Bedeviled" ! I had to translate this word...(i discovered there other simpler words with the same meaning... )

Everyone knows of course what is going to happen tomorrow... Peristeri and all the team for the FIRST TIME in archaeological conference, the audiance all archaeologists.
agesilaos
Strategos (general)

Post by agesilaos »

Sorry; love an archaic word 8) Looking forward to tomorrow...or Gepd or someone's translation thereof :lol: Kale spera
Alexias
Strategos (general)

Post by Alexias »

Thanks for the photos, John. Hope you enjoy your trip to Germany, and don't forget your umbrella!

The size and position of Craterus's monument so close to the temple of Apollo, just goes to show how phenomenally wealthy Alexander's generals were, particularly as it was probably paid for by Craterus's widow as his son was only a child. Kind of argues that the Amphipolis monument doesn't necessarily have to have been commissioned by royalty, or been intended for royalty.
system1988
Hetairos (companion)

Post by system1988 »

Alexias wrote:Thanks for the photos, John. Hope you enjoy your trip to Germany, and don't forget your umbrella!

The size and position of Craterus's monument so close to the temple of Apollo, just goes to show how phenomenally wealthy Alexander's generals were, particularly as it was probably paid for by Craterus's widow as his son was only a child. Kind of argues that the Amphipolis monument doesn't necessarily have to have been commissioned by royalty, or been intended for royalty.

I shall not forget my umbrella! I was given the impression that it rains almost constantly there.

Just as Pauline told me your very interesting photo was the one missing for one to have the full impression of the magnificence of the location. Delphi were unfortunately destroyed by barbarian hordes as well as from the Romans who plundered whatever valuable they could find.

Thankfully the museum hosts many incredible artifacts.

Best

John
delos13

Post by delos13 »

It is a pity I missed this post when it was active but thank you so much for sharing. I can't believe it myself, but I am going to be at the site in one week time - I waited for it for so long. The pictures are most beautiful!