Ancient Greek toys

Discuss the culture of Alexander's world and his image in art

Moderator: pothos moderators

system1988
Hetairos (companion)

Ancient Greek toys

Post by system1988 »

Hi all

Here is a Christmas spirit link for all of you, ancient greeks toys including a yo-yo!

http://www.lifo.gr/articles/archaeology_articles/84898

Happy New Year!!

Pauline
Πάντες άνθρωποι του ειδέναι ορέγονται φύσει
hiphys
Pezhetairos (foot soldier)

Re: Ancient Greek toys

Post by hiphys »

Thank you, Pauline, for these photos: The pup is charming, the dolls are ancestors of our Barbies, but where are the little handcarts, Aristophanes refers to in his 'Clouds' ? I remember I have seen them in a Museum.
delos13
Pezhetairos (foot soldier)

Post by delos13 »

Thanks, Pauline, they are so charming. The first one, some sort of a horse (a dragon?) on four wheels - it looks like it has a horn, like a capricorn. Is it right? I didn't know ancient Greeks had capricorns in their mythology.
system1988
Hetairos (companion)

Post by system1988 »

hiphys wrote:Thank you, Pauline, for these photos: The pup is charming, the dolls are ancestors of our Barbies, but where are the little handcarts, Aristophanes refers to in his 'Clouds' ? I remember I have seen them in a Museum.

Not all game types are represented in the exhibits. I admit I don't know what "handcarts" are. Thank you for your comment.
system1988
Hetairos (companion)

Post by system1988 »

delos13 wrote:Thanks, Pauline, they are so charming. The first one, some sort of a horse (a dragon?) on four wheels - it looks like it has a horn, like a capricorn. Is it right? I didn't know ancient Greeks had capricorns in their mythology.

Definitely no, unicorns are not an element of the greek pantheon. The bump on the horse's head is either a stylish element or was used as a means for the children to tie knots on it and pull the toy via string. Thank you very much for your comment.
sean_m
Hetairos (companion)

Post by sean_m »

Thanks system1988! I appreciate all of the news from Greece which you pass on. I hope that you have an excellent new year.
My blog (Warning: may contain up to 95% non-Alexandrian content, rated shamelessly philobarbarian by 1 out of 1 Plutarchs)