Ancient Shoe

Discuss the culture of Alexander's world and his image in art

Moderator: pothos moderators

system1988
Hetairos (companion)

Ancient Shoe

Post by system1988 »

Greetings to all

I do not know whether this has reached the international Press yet or not. This is a photo that was only published by a one major Greek newspaper on 4/10/2011.
On September 2011 in the temple of Braubronian Artemis a pair of a woman's wooden shows dated back to 5th BC was discovered.
In that temple, located a few miles outside the city of Athens, the women used to offer persnonal items of theirs after a successful childbirth. Small wooden statues, vases, bronze mirrors, clothing were offered as gifts.

The shoe itself is a no. 38 (Greek type of measuring) and was elaborately decorated with inscribed motives. We are talking about a very rare artifact since wooden- made items are subject to decay with the passing of the ages (except for dry regions like Edgypt).
I am sorry for the quality of the photo but since the size limit of the site applies I can only use my old cell phone to take photos and not my actual camera.
Attachments
picture028.jpg
picture028.jpg (86.34 KiB) Viewed 2874 times
Πάντες άνθρωποι του ειδέναι ορέγονται φύσει
marcus
Somatophylax

Re: Ancient Shoe

Post by marcus »

system1988 wrote:I do not know whether this has reached the international Press yet or not. This is a photo that was only published by a one major Greek newspaper on 4/10/2011.
On September 2011 in the temple of Braubronian Artemis a pair of a woman's wooden shows dated back to 5th BC was discovered.
In that temple, located a few miles outside the city of Athens, the women used to offer persnonal items of theirs after a successful childbirth. Small wooden statues, vases, bronze mirrors, clothing were offered as gifts.
That's so cool! Thank you for sharing it with us. I certainly hadn't heard about it before - but I hope it does reach the International news soon.

Any other eclectic finds we should know about? :)

ATB
Marcus
Sine doctrina vita est quasi mortis imago
At Amazon US
At Amazon UK
system1988
Hetairos (companion)

Post by system1988 »

marcus wrote:
system1988 wrote:I do not know whether this has reached the international Press yet or not. This is a photo that was only published by a one major Greek newspaper on 4/10/2011.
That's so cool! Thank you for sharing it with us. I certainly hadn't heard about it before - but I hope it does reach the International news soon.

Any other eclectic finds we should know about? :)

ATB
No, not that I am aware of.
Πάντες άνθρωποι του ειδέναι ορέγονται φύσει
lexybam

Post by lexybam »

What a great discussion here. Thank you for sharing the info. I have never heard anything like that before. I hope it gets to the media for proper publication.