Discuss the culture of Alexander's world and his image in art

Moderator: pothos moderators

system1988
Hetairos (companion)

Re: Pergamon Replica

Post by system1988 »

amyntoros wrote:
Alexias wrote:
Systen1988, I always understood that in Greek tourist shops you could differentiate museum replicas by the metal seal attached. However, when you are young, don't have much money, and can't get to the museum shops, cheap tourist replicas seem wonderful, and I still love mine!
Same thing applies when you are old(er) and don't have much money! :lol: I do understand what System1988 is saying though, but I really can't complain about my Pan-Alexander statue even if it isn't a museum copy. I had it for years before the Alexander exhibition came to the Onassis Center in New York, bringing the original Pella statuette with it. I must have made half a dozen trips to see the exhibition and I really couldn't find any discernable difference between my "copy" and the original, except for the patina. I seem to recall that when I bought it the sellers advertised that they had sole rights to make the copies and that they did have access to the original for measurements, etc. It may not be true (cannot find my file containing all certificates of authentication, including my X-men Gambit statue!) but I'm very happy with the little guy.

Best regards,

I am sorry for delaying my answer but a series of personal affairs as well as the purchase of a new pc kept me busy.

Now to the matter at hand, my sincere apologies for the comments i made about your stattuette. The fact is that I always make the mistake that I am chatting with colleagues of mine who are moslty rigid personalities, full of specialized knowledge on the whole subject of ancient sculpting. Thus I tend to forget that I am adressing a various group of people with an even larger variety of interests and fields of knowledge. Let us also not forget they are also human beings (unlike most of my colleagues who have turned somewhat to the very artifacts they study!)

Your stattuete must be really beautiful since you care so much for it! Indeed there are cases of non- legit coppies where art is found as well.

@ Alexias

Thanks for your comment, what is about to follow will be a very boring series of remarks.

The metal seal attached (lead in fact) to some of the non- museum replicas does not make them qualified to be classified as museum- made. In reality, by law, they must be tampered with/ altered, in seven spots; or else its a police matter. This does not mean that some copies are not exquisite and convincing (in fact they may be more loved by their buyer than the original ones). I for one matter would have loved to have an Alexander head with colored eyes, rose- like lips and cheeks as well as blond hair. Unfortunately nothing that detailed is saved from ancient times thus it would be something really nice and beautiful to me but a non- legit copy nontheless.

Stores beyond the museum ones which sell legit copies are a large bookselling store in Athens as well as the store at the airport.

Best regards
Πάντες άνθρωποι του ειδέναι ορέγονται φύσει
spitamenes
Hetairos (companion)

Post by spitamenes »

System1988,
Just out of curiosity, what is average pricetag on these copies? The official and unofficial? Is there a big difference in cost because someone buys an official copy rather than an unofficial one? Im sure there is some difference. But id just like to know if its a substantial one. And are people in the states able to order the official copies from the museum gift shop or another place that sells official copies?
Thank you, I hope you like your new pc! Ill be on the search for a new one myself very soon.
Spitamenes
system1988
Hetairos (companion)

Post by system1988 »

spitamenes wrote:System1988,
Just out of curiosity, what is average pricetag on these copies? The official and unofficial? Is there a big difference in cost because someone buys an official copy rather than an unofficial one? Im sure there is some difference. But id just like to know if its a substantial one. And are people in the states able to order the official copies from the museum gift shop or another place that sells official copies?
Thank you, I hope you like your new pc! Ill be on the search for a new one myself very soon.
Spitamenes
For the official replicas you can check the National Museum's site http://www.namuseum.gr/wellcome-en.html. The museum is located near the center of Athens. The museum shop replicates and sells the most distinguished objects of the museum exhibitions (sculpture, paintings, jewlery etc). You can even buy a statue 2 metres high or a tiny one.

I am afraid though that you will not find any prices posted there, so its better to just email them.

You can send an email to the museum to ask for prices etc. It's: ethniko-mouseio@tap.gr.

The store's timetable has changed due to the summer period. It's now open from 9:30 AM to 3:45 PM from Tuesday to Saturday. It's closed on Mondays and Sundays. This means that If you sent an email on Saturday afternoon you will get an answer by Tuesday. You will have the answer for sure though! Unfortunately there are no photos available from the store and no orders can be made via email from countries outside of Greece but you can learn everything about the various replicas (size, prices etc).

As far as the non- legit replicas are concerned I am afraid that they might be more expensive than those found in the museum. This is the case because of the "laws of the jungle" that apply to free commerce policies.

Last but not least, I wont be available for some time to answer to any of you due to the transition period of my new pc taking thew place of my older one. You might all be familiar with the painful and long procceses of formating and re- installing the windows software right?

P.S

I have still not forgotten the issue of Philip's coins! I will try to answer as soon as the new hardware is in place.
Πάντες άνθρωποι του ειδέναι ορέγονται φύσει
Alexias
Strategos (general)

Post by Alexias »

To enliven a dull Sunday afternoon, here's a couple of pictures of my replicas:

This is the one from Pella dating to about 300BC. About 20 inches high (including base)
DSCI1188---Copy2.jpg
DSCI1188---Copy2.jpg (228.29 KiB) Viewed 5088 times
This is the one from the Athenian Acropolis dating to about 333 BC. About 20 inches high (including base)
DSCI1181---Copy2.jpg
DSCI1181---Copy2.jpg (83.9 KiB) Viewed 5088 times
This one is (I think) from Thessalonika dating to 3rd cent BC. About 15 inches high (including base)
DSCI0488.jpg
DSCI0488.jpg (232.22 KiB) Viewed 5088 times
spitamenes
Hetairos (companion)

Post by spitamenes »

Alexias,
Hello. Great pictures! Are these "official" copies of the originals? As in do they have the lead stamp on them? Or are they the slightly altered ones? Either way they are very cool. : ). The second one is my favorite I think. Even though they are all great pieces! Thanks for sharing them with us.
Spitamenes.
Alexias
Strategos (general)

Post by Alexias »

Hi, Spitamenes. The first two are exact museum replicas of the originals, produced to order by the museum shop (which makes them sound hideous expensive though they weren't). The first one I am reasonably certain, having recently seen the original in Oxford, is the same size as the original. I am less certain about the second one.

The third one describes itself as a 'faithful' copy, but is not an exact copy. This small one, which has one of the lead seals attached, is more detailed and I would guess gives a better representation of the orginal.
1DSCI23291.jpg
1DSCI23291.jpg (231.8 KiB) Viewed 5057 times
I wish I had a Pergamon replica!
marcus
Somatophylax

Post by marcus »

Alexias wrote:I wish I had a Pergamon replica!
Well, I arrived at Ephesus earlier today, and I've just been inspecting the Pergamon replicas in the few shops that are still open at this time of night. It seems that the quality is variable, to say the least, but some of them aren't bad. I shall be picking one up tomorrow.

Just for the record, a few days ago I was in the archaeological museum in Antalya, where there is a monumental statue of Alexander. I will post some pics when I get back to the UK. Earlier today I was at Aphrodisias, where the museum there had a 2nd century AD bust of Alexander - it was *terrible*! :o I will post a picture of that, too, when the opportunity presents itself.

ATB
Marcus
Sine doctrina vita est quasi mortis imago
At Amazon US
At Amazon UK
Alexias
Strategos (general)

Post by Alexias »

Hope you enjoy your holiday, Marcus :)
marcus
Somatophylax

Post by marcus »

Alexias wrote:Hope you enjoy your holiday, Marcus :)
Thanks, Alexias - nearly at the end, now, but it has been fantastic. I've visited Termessos, and seen where Alexander dislodged the Termessians from the cliffs before they fled back into the city. Also seen Phaselis, where Alexander had his base during the winter campaign of 334/333, and where he learned of the plot of Alexander of Lyncestis.

I have to say that I was somewhat underwhelmed by Ephesus, although I did manage to see the very, very tiny bit that's left of the Temple of Artemis - yay!

Today I went to Troy, and did indeed see the "tombs of Achilles and Patroclus" - rather, Hellenistic tumuli which purported to be the tombs. They are actually quite a way away from the city itself, so I only got to photograph them from a distance.

Tomorrow I cross the Hellespont, and will pour a libation as I do so.

I get back to the UK on Saturday, but it will be Monday or Tuesday by the time I am able to put up some pictures. I shall do so as quickly as I can, though!

Oh, and I got myself my replica Pergamum Head - shame I couldn't manage the 600 TL life-size replica!

ATB
Marcus
At Amazon US
At Amazon UK
simoneee

Post by simoneee »

Hello My Name is Simone

I am very new to this Forum...I would like to learn a little more than I already do about Alexander The Great...I became interested after watching Oliver Stones movie,With the hope I could find out something that could tell my or if Alexander was the Great..The film taught me just the same as I did know the basic facts and events even though somewhat moved around a little.

Ive read a few books and just thought some people on line would have things to say..But I have to be honest and say that apart from this site there's very little out there.

I've had a look at the pictures and like some of the Statues...Though I dont like some of the Lysipus stuff..The heading of this thread was a statue that appears in a lot of my books..And to constructive I've found pictures of the original look to have different qualities from different angles. I'm keen that Marcus has been to Turkey and has said he's managed to get a small replica..Please could you say how big the original actually is and your thoughts to the Original size and the copy you have got?

I have viewed quite a few on Ebay...In the beggining I'll admit to buying them all and that some were terrible..One that I bought was Alexanders Head on a pedestal with what looked like the Alexander Sarcophacus at the bottom. I thought it terrible and threw it away..I also got the one pictured in this threat the Bronze effect one..I got it from Ebay and think thats also terrible.

I must admit it's depressing sometimes with the busts they look nothing like ive seen some of the Museum pieces, I'm looking foreward to seeing Marcus Pergamon and if its good please say where abouts in Turkey as Turkey now seems the best place for holiday and am Aware he was around in Turkey..Is Alexander well known in modern Turkey?

You said 600tlr for a full sized how big is full sized and what i've heard you can always barter for better prices..thankyou for any advice

Simone
marcus
Somatophylax

Post by marcus »

simoneee wrote: I'm keen that Marcus has been to Turkey and has said he's managed to get a small replica..Please could you say how big the original actually is and your thoughts to the Original size and the copy you have got?
Hi Simone,

I'm still in Turkey, about to fly home tomorrow. This afternoon I popped into the Archaeological Museum where the Pergamon Head is kept. Unfortunately it is currently in a special exhibition and one cannot photograph it. Fortunately I already have photos from a previous visit. The head is basically life size, possibly a little bigger.
simoneeee wrote:..Is Alexander well known in modern Turkey?

You said 600tlr for a full sized how big is full sized and what i've heard you can always barter for better prices..thankyou for any advice
Alexander is pretty well known here, although that isn't to say that most people are familiar with the more detailed aspects of his life and career. But as Alexander touches upon most of the sites down the Aegean coast, and the southern coast, certainly the tour guides are fairly well clued up.

As for the price for the full-sized head - I doubt one would be able to negotiate for that, as it's only available in the museum shops. But as it's life-sized, I thought the price wasn't too bad. Of course, one would then have to get it shipped over from Turkey, unless one drove there - it's big, and very heavy!

ATB
Marcus
At Amazon US
At Amazon UK