About the King of Sidon

Discuss the culture of Alexander's world and his image in art

Moderator: pothos moderators

spitamenes
Hetairos (companion)

Re: About the King of Sidon

Post by spitamenes »

the_accursed wrote:
marcus wrote:Except that he abandoned the custom as soon as he tried to introduce it, because of the opposition from his people.

Assuming, however, that the Persians at court did continue to perform proskynesis, perhaps the Sidonians had previously supplied the perfume to the Great King. I imagine that those who performed full obeisance, however, never got close enough to the Great King to smell his non-cheesy feet ...

ATB
I'm well aware that he, against his will, had to abandon it among the Macedonians. But he did introduce proskynesis. And according to Plutarch, laughing at people groveling before Alexander was why Cassander got his head smashed against a wall. So It would seem Alexander still appreciated the groveling, and that it continued among those too accustomed to it to protest against it. While the idea of perfume for one's ankles is itself a ridiculous one, Alexander is one of few people in antiquity (or ever) who would have had any use for it (or could have thought he did).
spitamenes wrote:Alexander introduced proskynesis? I could have sworn it was a Persian custom long before Alexander came around.
He introduced it at the Macedonian court. But I'm guessing you knew that...
Sure did. And of course it was Alexander who introduced it to the Macedonians. Couldn't have been the Darius and the Persians, they never had the chance considering Alexander stomped them into the ground every time they met on the battlefield.
Alexias
Strategos (general)

Post by Alexias »

Could this perfume be why Alexander was reputed to smell sweetly (as well as the daily bath), instead of the slightly dubious mild diabetes theory? That theory never quite seemed to be compatible with his known physical endurance.
spitamenes
Hetairos (companion)

Post by spitamenes »

Alexias wrote:Could this perfume be why Alexander was reputed to smell sweetly (as well as the daily bath), instead of the slightly dubious mild diabetes theory? That theory never quite seemed to be compatible with his known physical endurance.
I remember reading about his ruputed sweet scent was due to his semi divine status. Case closed. :)
the_accursed
Pezhetairos (foot soldier)

Post by the_accursed »

spitamenes wrote:Sure did. And of course it was Alexander who introduced it to the Macedonians. Couldn't have been the Darius and the Persians, they never had the chance considering Alexander stomped them into the ground every time they met on the battlefield.
Yes, Philip's generals and army did very well against the Persians. Philip had taught them well. Philip though never demanded that his Macedonians should grovel in the dirt before him. He would likely have thought the idea itself ludicrous, and would easily have understood the negative consequences of even suggesting such a thing. But then, he was an intelligent man, Philip. And I doubt he'd have thought highly of the idea of a man perfuming his ankles.
spitamenes
Hetairos (companion)

Post by spitamenes »

the_accursed wrote:
spitamenes wrote:Sure did. And of course it was Alexander who introduced it to the Macedonians. Couldn't have been the Darius and the Persians, they never had the chance considering Alexander stomped them into the ground every time they met on the battlefield.
Yes, Philip's generals and army did very well against the Persians. Philip had taught them well. Philip though never demanded that his Macedonians should grovel in the dirt before him. He would likely have thought the idea itself ludicrous, and would easily have understood the negative consequences of even suggesting such a thing. But then, he was an intelligent man, Philip. And I doubt he'd have thought highly of the idea of a man perfuming his ankles.
Yes, Philip was a good general. I bet if he defeated the Persians we could even call him great. If only he had the ability to block some kid with a knife...
system1988
Hetairos (companion)

Post by system1988 »

Dear all

From lilies and battles, ankles and grovels great generals and kings as well as angry kids with knifes, behold the stone tablet that is worth as much as hundreds of literal sources: I have finally managed to upload it!! Risking the activation of the site's auto- correction systems because of writing the text in greek I will try to send to you the words in greek. If the outcomes is incoprehensible it will be due to the site not by myself. Of course there is no pc adaption of the phoenician alphabet so I am only sending you the greek part of the inscription.

(ΑΦΡΟ)ΔΙΤΗΙ ΙΔΡΥΣΑΤΟ
...ΤΙΜΟΣ ΑΒΔΑΛΩΝΥΜΟΥ
(ΣΙΔ)ΩΝΟΣ ΒΑΣΙΛΕΩΣ
(ΥΠ)ΕΡ ΤΩΝ ΠΛΕΟΝΤΩΝ

This is Abdalonimus's (who probably once had a lenghty conversation with Alexander) indirect signature because (and I repeat): An inscription is always a lot more worth than any literature source.

Best regards to all and thank you for the comments!

Pauline
Attachments
Abdalonimus.JPG
Abdalonimus.JPG (36.76 KiB) Viewed 2930 times
Πάντες άνθρωποι του ειδέναι ορέγονται φύσει
spitamenes
Hetairos (companion)

Post by spitamenes »

system1988 wrote:Dear all

From lilies and battles, ankles and grovels great generals and kings as well as angry kids with knifes, behold the stone tablet that is worth as much as hundreds of literal sources: I have finally managed to upload it!! Risking the activation of the site's auto- correction systems because of writing the text in greek I will try to send to you the words in greek. If the outcomes is incoprehensible it will be due to the site not by myself. Of course there is no pc adaption of the phoenician alphabet so I am only sending you the greek part of the inscription.

(ΑΦΡΟ)ΔΙΤΗΙ ΙΔΡΥΣΑΤΟ
...ΤΙΜΟΣ ΑΒΔΑΛΩΝΥΜΟΥ
(ΣΙΔ)ΩΝΟΣ ΒΑΣΙΛΕΩΣ
(ΥΠ)ΕΡ ΤΩΝ ΠΛΕΟΝΤΩΝ

This is Abdalonimus's (who probably once had a lenghty conversation with Alexander) indirect signature because (and I repeat): An inscription is always a lot more worth than any literature source.

Best regards to all and thank you for the comments!

Pauline
Pauline, thank you for sharing this important piece with us. It is very much appreciated.
Spitamenes