Medieval Alexander

Discuss the culture of Alexander's world and his image in art

Moderator: pothos moderators

marcus
Somatophylax

Medieval Alexander

Post by marcus »

Dear all,

I had known about this for ages, but a couple of weekends ago I finally got to see it.

This is a misericord from Wells Cathedral, in Somerset, showing Alexander the Great being raised to Heaven by two griffins, one of the 'standard' medieval stories surrounding Alexander:
Alexander at Wells Cathedral
Alexander at Wells Cathedral
2011_0508WellsDunster0044b.JPG (63.22 KiB) Viewed 5153 times
If I recall correctly, this one is actually from the 17th century, which seems rather late to me, as far as the style of the carving is concerned. Still, doesn't really matter.

Apparently there's one in Lincoln Cathedral, as well, but I was unable to locate it last time I visited. Next time I shall have to find a worthy cleric and seek permission to investigate all the seats in the choir ...

ATB
Marcus
Sine doctrina vita est quasi mortis imago
At Amazon US
At Amazon UK
spitamenes
Hetairos (companion)

Re: Medieval Alexander

Post by spitamenes »

Looks like jesus... did you take that picture? Or find it online?
marcus
Somatophylax

Post by marcus »

spitamenes wrote:Looks like jesus... did you take that picture? Or find it online?
I took this one, although it is possible to find it online (although I think mine is better quality than the one I found through Google!).

If and when I manage to get the one from Lincoln Cathedral, I will post it here, as well, of course.

ATB
Marcus
At Amazon US
At Amazon UK
marcus
Somatophylax

Post by marcus »

spitamenes wrote:Looks like jesus ...
Oh, BTW, any resemblance to Jesus is purely coincidental. There was no correlation between the two. It's just the style of the beard that makes him look a bit like JC.

ATB
Marcus
At Amazon US
At Amazon UK
bessusww
Pezhetairos (foot soldier)

Post by bessusww »

Marcus

Are you losing the plot here,,,,Where in any Alexander the Great histories or literature say Alexander had a moustache let alone a beard...As said looks more like Jesus than any images of the famously Shaven Alexander?
bessusww

Post by bessusww »

To say the Image is Alexander really questions where you got the high ranking in Pothos. The Resemblence is silly to say the least. I hope you dont teach your history Students that Alexander was a bearded Jesus lookalike?
spitamenes
Hetairos (companion)

Post by spitamenes »

Having the griffins on either side lifting the figure up is remenicant of other pieces(a tapestry comes to mind I believe),of Alexander with his fabled flying machine. (Was that in the romance?). Anyway, It was a relatively common image I believe, just because I know I've seen it a number of times myself in books, and how historical time periods always seemed to put Alexander in they're own contemporary dress. I've seen asian tapestries of alexander, long bushy goatee and pointed helmet holding a dying Darius, who is dressed in the same style attire by the way. It all comes down to when in history these pieces were created. I'm glad to be living in a time where historical accuracy is utilized in art and film.
amyntoros
Somatophylax

Post by amyntoros »

A PDF web page by Julianna Lees, Montagrier, November 2010 - http://www.green-man-of-cercles.org/art ... xander.pdf - has 75 pages on historical representations of the motif of Alexander and the Griffins. And, yes, Marcus, the included photograph from Wells Cathedral isn't a patch on yours. :D

Best regards
Amyntoros

Pothos Lunch Room Monitor
marcus
Somatophylax

Post by marcus »

amyntoros wrote:A PDF web page by Julianna Lees, Montagrier, November 2010 - http://www.green-man-of-cercles.org/art ... xander.pdf - has 75 pages on historical representations of the motif of Alexander and the Griffins. And, yes, Marcus, the included photograph from Wells Cathedral isn't a patch on yours. :D

Best regards
Thanks! :D

That's an interesting web page. It's great to see so many examples in English churches - I'll make sure I keep a list with me, so that I can start checking them all out when I'm in different parts of the country. I'll be going near Gloucester in a few weeks, so I can look up the Gloucester Cathedral one then ... Oh good, another project to add to all the others! :?

ATB
Marcus
At Amazon US
At Amazon UK
marcus
Somatophylax

Post by marcus »

spitamenes wrote:Having the griffins on either side lifting the figure up is remenicant of other pieces(a tapestry comes to mind I believe),of Alexander with his fabled flying machine. (Was that in the romance?). Anyway, It was a relatively common image I believe, just because I know I've seen it a number of times myself in books, and how historical time periods always seemed to put Alexander in they're own contemporary dress. I've seen asian tapestries of alexander, long bushy goatee and pointed helmet holding a dying Darius, who is dressed in the same style attire by the way. It all comes down to when in history these pieces were created. I'm glad to be living in a time where historical accuracy is utilized in art and film.
Yes, of course. Alexander is portrayed wearing a beard (and medieval dress) because that's what the style was when the misericord was carved.
spitamenes wrote:I'm glad to be living in a time where historical accuracy is utilized in art and film.
When it is, that is ... :)

ATB
Marcus
At Amazon US
At Amazon UK
marcus
Somatophylax

Post by marcus »

bessusww wrote:Marcus

Are you losing the plot here,,,,Where in any Alexander the Great histories or literature say Alexander had a moustache let alone a beard...As said looks more like Jesus than any images of the famously Shaven Alexander?
I shall ignore your rudeness, merely pointing to:
Itinerarium Alexandri, 6:
He himself was partly masked with his pointed beard; the rest of his face was clean-shaven.
Other than that, I refer you to Spitamenes' post above.

Best wishes
Marcus
At Amazon US
At Amazon UK
bessusww

Post by bessusww »

Constructive hardly rudeness.

To point out what it is the Picture does have a beard Alexander didnt. The picture does look like Jesus. I recall you saying St Davids image on the Gold sovereigns cant be said as the famous Alexander on Horse back...It looks more like anything a real Alexander reader would assosiate with Alexander.

Whoever likens the Jesus face on your picture to Alexander needs to go back to the drawing board
marcus
Somatophylax

Post by marcus »

bessusww wrote:Constructive hardly rudeness.

To point out what it is the Picture does have a beard Alexander didnt. The picture does look like Jesus. I recall you saying St Davids image on the Gold sovereigns cant be said as the famous Alexander on Horse back...It looks more like anything a real Alexander reader would assosiate with Alexander.

Whoever likens the Jesus face on your picture to Alexander needs to go back to the drawing board
Perhaps some reading about the Medieval legends concerning Alexander, and a course in the History of Art, would help ...

ATB
Marcus
At Amazon US
At Amazon UK
spitamenes
Hetairos (companion)

Post by spitamenes »

Did the legand of Alexanders flying machine originate in medieval times? I thought it was older than that for some reason. And although I knew it was a fairly common image, I had no idea it was used as widely as it was until seeing Amyntoros' post. Thanks Amyntoros!
marcus
Somatophylax

Post by marcus »

spitamenes wrote:Did the legend of Alexanders flying machine originate in medieval times? I thought it was older than that for some reason. And although I knew it was a fairly common image, I had no idea it was used as widely as it was until seeing Amyntoros' post. Thanks Amyntoros!
No, I don't think it originated in the Medieval period - although the idea that he was carried to heaven in a "machine" might have. But it was an enduring legend in the Medieval period, which point I was making. And although I knew it was widely known/disseminated, I had no idea it appeared in so many depictions, in churches as well, until I saw Amyntoros' post, either!

As I say, it will keep me busy visiting churches for some time to come ...

ATB
Marcus
At Amazon US
At Amazon UK