Palazzo Mirto

Discuss the culture of Alexander's world and his image in art

Moderator: pothos moderators

derek
Pezhetairos (foot soldier)

Palazzo Mirto

Post by derek »

All,

I’ve just returned from a vacation in Sicily. While there, we visited the Palazzo Mirto in Palermo, an 18thc baroque palace full of very opulent furnishings. The guides only spoke Italian and nothing was labelled, but it became apparent to us that the original owners, a noble family named Filangeri, must have had a thing about Alexander. In the first few rooms, we saw a number of (very stylized renaissance) tapestries and paintings that looked like they could depict scenes from Alexander’s life, and then we walked into a parlour, and high on the wall in front of us was an 18thc version of the Alexander mosaic from Pompeii – but complete! And an extremley good rendition too. It was as if the artist had been there the day they laid the original. I’d have loved to get a photo, but photography wasn’t allowed and the guides shadowed us the whole way. I’ve had a look around the internet, but couldn't find an image of it.

Anyway, if you visit Sicily, be sure to include a tour of the Palazzo Mirto.

Derek
spitamenes
Hetairos (companion)

Re: Palazzo Mirto

Post by spitamenes »

Thanks Derek,
I sure would like to see the tapestry. I'm sure an image is hindin in one of the backalleys of the internet somewhere. Ill be looking for it there, as I regretfully won't be getting back to Italy any time soon. I have seen one or two of the completed renditions of the mosaic, but none too impressive as of yet.
All the best.
Spitamenes
marcus
Somatophylax

Re: Palazzo Mirto

Post by marcus »

derek wrote:All,

I’ve just returned from a vacation in Sicily. While there, we visited the Palazzo Mirto in Palermo, an 18thc baroque palace full of very opulent furnishings. The guides only spoke Italian and nothing was labelled, but it became apparent to us that the original owners, a noble family named Filangeri, must have had a thing about Alexander. In the first few rooms, we saw a number of (very stylized renaissance) tapestries and paintings that looked like they could depict scenes from Alexander’s life, and then we walked into a parlour, and high on the wall in front of us was an 18thc version of the Alexander mosaic from Pompeii – but complete! And an extremley good rendition too. It was as if the artist had been there the day they laid the original. I’d have loved to get a photo, but photography wasn’t allowed and the guides shadowed us the whole way. I’ve had a look around the internet, but couldn't find an image of it.

Anyway, if you visit Sicily, be sure to include a tour of the Palazzo Mirto.

Derek
Hi Derek,

Thanks for the heads-up on this. I haven't been to Sicily, but would certainly like to. Funnily enough, I want to go because of the Greek colonial history, and because of the Norman history ... it hadn't occurred to me that there might be an Alexandrian link, however late! :D

ATB
Marcus
Sine doctrina vita est quasi mortis imago
At Amazon US
At Amazon UK