Macedonian Frescoes

Discuss the culture of Alexander's world and his image in art

Moderator: pothos moderators

rocktupac
Pezhetairos (foot soldier)

Macedonian Frescoes

Post by rocktupac »

Outside of a simple "image search" online, where is the best place (i.e. books/publications, article collection, etc.) to find nice images and information concerning Macedonian frescoes? Do they only occur in tombs? What are their range of dates? Has there been a major study on them, etc?

I am extremely fascinated by them and want to know as much as possible. Thanks!
-Scott B.
agesilaos
Strategos (general)

Re: Macedonian Frescoes

Post by agesilaos »

'Vergina: The Royal Tombs and the Ancient City' by Manolis Andronicus,1984 deals with those in the Royal Tombs but there are others such as the Tomb of Lyson and Kallikles( near Naoussa) I am unaware of any outside tombs but that is only due to the lack of preserved buildings. The same author wrote a paper 'Ancient Greek paintings and Mosaics in Macedonia' Balkan Studies, 1964 pp287-302 I haven't read read it so I cannot judge it. The bibliography of a good book on Hellenistic art might prove fruitful. 'Fraid I'm more Northern Barbarian than mixed-wine drinking southern pooftah, so I haven't any books on art myself. :oops:
When you think about, it free-choice is the only possible option.
marcus
Somatophylax

Post by marcus »

agesilaos wrote:'Fraid I'm more Northern Barbarian than mixed-wine drinking southern pooftah, so I haven't any books on art myself. :oops:
:D

Gallons of foaming ale are more your thing, eh? :P

I was going to suggest that Andronikos book, which is pretty good on description, although the photos could do with updating in a new edition - they're not of the greatest quality. I am unaware of other specific works on Macedonian frescos.

ATB
Marcus
Sine doctrina vita est quasi mortis imago
At Amazon US
At Amazon UK
amyntoros
Somatophylax

Post by amyntoros »

marcus wrote:I was going to suggest that Andronikos book, which is pretty good on description, although the photos could do with updating in a new edition - they're not of the greatest quality. I am unaware of other specific works on Macedonian frescos.
There is The tomb of Lyson and Kallikles: A painted Macedonian tomb by Stella G. Miller, which has the absurd price of $394.52 on Amazon's Marketplace, as can be seen. I managed to snag a copy for much less from a German bookseller by using Addall.com. It appears they only have two left in the $65-70 range (which is what I paid at the time), but there are also another couple of copies at around $88-89 available from a store in the Netherlands.

One of our old members, Smitty, discussed and recommended the book to me on Librarything and I'm so glad that he (she?) did. It covers much more than the frescoes, of course, and has considerably more text than plates. I wish every tomb which has been excavated had a book such as this.

Best regards,
Amyntoros

Pothos Lunch Room Monitor
rocktupac
Pezhetairos (foot soldier)

Post by rocktupac »

agesilaos wrote:'Vergina: The Royal Tombs and the Ancient City' by Manolis Andronicus,1984 deals with those in the Royal Tombs but there are others such as the Tomb of Lyson and Kallikles( near Naoussa) I am unaware of any outside tombs but that is only due to the lack of preserved buildings. The same author wrote a paper 'Ancient Greek paintings and Mosaics in Macedonia' Balkan Studies, 1964 pp287-302 I haven't read read it so I cannot judge it. The bibliography of a good book on Hellenistic art might prove fruitful. 'Fraid I'm more Northern Barbarian than mixed-wine drinking southern pooftah, so I haven't any books on art myself. :oops:
I already own the Androncios book. Thanks for the suggestions! It's a shame there isn't anything out there which details the wonderful frescoes. While there are a heaping bundle on Roman stuff, especially Pompeii, I find it hard to image so few on such a hot topic as Macedonia. Hopefully in the future more will come!
-Scott B.