Alexander and Linen

Discuss the culture of Alexander's world and his image in art

Moderator: pothos moderators

SKY

Alexander and Linen

Post by SKY »

Greetings - I found this very interesting.

http://news.discovery.com/archaeology/l ... armor.html
rocktupac
Pezhetairos (foot soldier)

Re: Alexander and Linen

Post by rocktupac »

SKY, you beat me to it! I was going to post that link just now :D

This is the research I have been doing with Dr. Aldrete. Just about a week ago Rossella contacted us about doing an article for Discovery News. I can't believe it was written so quickly!

Here again is the link to the "UWGB Linothorax Project's "website (it is a little bare): http://www.uwgb.edu/aldreteg/Linothorax.html
-Scott B.
Fingy

Post by Fingy »

Great articles, thanks!
SKY

Post by SKY »

Thanks for the site rocktupac.

How much does a regular size linen body armor weigh?
rocktupac

Post by rocktupac »

SKY wrote:Thanks for the site rocktupac.

How much does a regular size linen body armor weigh?

A linothorax that will fit a man with size 38 inch to 42 inch chest (approx. 1 cm thick) weighs about 10 pounds (4.54 kg), and a linothorax that will fit a man with size 46 to 50 inch chest (approx. 1 cm thick) weighs about 11.5 pounds (5.22 kg).
-Scott B.
Fiona
Hetairos (companion)

Post by Fiona »

Congratulations rocktupac on the impact your research is having. The Discovery article was great, accessible and full of interesting detail.
Where can I see the prize-winning poster?
Fiona
rocktupac

Post by rocktupac »

Fiona wrote:Congratulations rocktupac on the impact your research is having. The Discovery article was great, accessible and full of interesting detail.
Where can I see the prize-winning poster?
Fiona
Thank you! :D

However, the article was a little skewed by certain opinions of the author (Rossella Lorenzi) and wasn't entirely made up of the opinions of the researchers (Greg Aldrete and myself). Our actual research was a little more unbiased in terms of armor makeup and other factors.

-Here is a link to the main "UWGB Linothorax" website:
http://www.uwgb.edu/aldreteg/Linothorax.html

-Here is a direct link to the award-winning poster (the file size is a little large, about 850kb):
http://www.uwgb.edu/aldreteg/AIA.Poster.LowRes2.jpg

*Unfortunately, a couple of small errors made it onto the final poster. But these do not make an impact on the overall research and are only typographical errors made by the creators.
-Scott B.
Fiona
Hetairos (companion)

Post by Fiona »

Brilliant, what a great poster, I'm not surprised it won an award. I enjoyed looking at that very much, thank you!
Fiona
rocktupac

Post by rocktupac »

Thank you so much for the kind words, Fiona! :D
-Scott B.
artemisia

Post by artemisia »

hello Rocktupac,
In your research do you have considered the thorax from the tomb of Philipp, which was apparently iron covered with linen?
rocktupac

Post by rocktupac »

artemisia wrote:hello Rocktupac,
In your research do you have considered the thorax from the tomb of Philipp, which was apparently iron covered with linen?
Yes, that is discussed. The iron cuirass from Tomb II was most likely not covered with a layer of linen. In form, it is nearly identical to the type of armor seen on vase paintings and that is identified with the linen corselet (often either referred to as Type IV armor or the Tube-and-Yoke cuirass). However, the presence of gold trim and fittings for attaching ties indicates that the iron was not the core, but rather the exterior surface. That iron armor could be polished and made to shine like silver is attested, especially in connection with Alexander (Plutarch Alex. 32.9) This specific piece of armor (the cuirass from Tomb II) is in fact unique in that it is made of iron, not bronze, and consists of several solid plates connected to one another with hinges. This piece seems most likely to be a one-off piece of ceremonial armor produced for royalty. While it shares a basic shape with Type IV armor, however, it cannot be the armor depicted in the ancient illustrations because its inflexible plates could not have been bent or curved in the manner so characteristically observed in the paintings.
-Scott B.