Permanent Exhibit with Photographs of Persepolis

Discuss the culture of Alexander's world and his image in art

Moderator: pothos moderators

amyntoros
Somatophylax

Permanent Exhibit with Photographs of Persepolis

Post by amyntoros »

The other day, while reading a magazine in Barnes n Noble, I made a notation of the URL for a website on an Egyptian exhibit. Haven't even looked at the Egyptian pages yet because this site - The Oriental Institute of the University of Chicago - contains a substantial number of photographs of Persepolis.

Start with the page for The Robert and Deborah Aliber Persian Gallery and at the bottom you'll see all their other links, including one to their Catalog of Expedition Photographs. All these photographs were obviously taken before any extensive excavations or rebuilding had been done.

Here's some of the blurb on the gallery itself:
Roughly half of the Persian Gallery is devoted to artifacts from Persepolis, which thrived from approximately 520 B.C. until, in 331 B.C., Alexander the Great and his troops destroyed it. This portion of the gallery is dominated by a series of colossal sculptures made of polished, black limestone, including the head of a bull that once guarded the entrance to the Hundred-Column Hall and column capitals in the forms of bulls and composite creatures.

"We display plates from the royal tables, which were broken when Alexander destroyed the city. They were thrown against the walls and lay in the ruins until a team from the Oriental Institute recovered them," Wilson said.
Hmm, I think I must try and get to Chicago one day as it's unlikely that I'll ever make it to Persepolis itself! (Yes, Marcus, I'm envious!) :)

Best regards,
Amyntoros

Pothos Lunch Room Monitor
marcus
Somatophylax

Re: Permanent Exhibit with Photographs of Persepolis

Post by marcus »

amyntoros wrote:Hmm, I think I must try and get to Chicago one day as it's unlikely that I'll ever make it to Persepolis itself! (Yes, Marcus, I'm envious!) :)
So you should be! :D Yep, Persepolis is the business, and I would go again like a shot (with a better camera next time). I'll be in Iran again at Easter, but this time only in Meshed for a couple of days, and Tehran for a couple more. I won't get back down to Shiraz (for Persepolis or Pasargadae).

However, before that I will be in ... Uzbekistan, where I will visit Samarkand (Maracanda); and then Turkmenistan, where I will visit Merv (Alexandria Margiana). Are you even more envious, now? :twisted:

ATB, in unattractive boastfulness ...
Marcus
Sine doctrina vita est quasi mortis imago
At Amazon US
At Amazon UK
amyntoros
Somatophylax

Post by amyntoros »

marcus wrote:
amyntoros wrote:Hmm, I think I must try and get to Chicago one day as it's unlikely that I'll ever make it to Persepolis itself! (Yes, Marcus, I'm envious!) :)
So you should be! :D Yep, Persepolis is the business, and I would go again like a shot (with a better camera next time). I'll be in Iran again at Easter, but this time only in Meshed for a couple of days, and Tehran for a couple more. I won't get back down to Shiraz (for Persepolis or Pasargadae).

However, before that I will be in ... Uzbekistan, where I will visit Samarkand (Maracanda); and then Turkmenistan, where I will visit Merv (Alexandria Margiana). Are you even more envious, now? :twisted:

ATB, in unattractive boastfulness ...
Yes, I am even more envious and am not ashamed to admit it. :wink: You seem to be evolving into the Michael Wood of Pothos, only with a more accurate understanding of the historical Alexander and without the BBC cameras! I do hope you intend to write about these various trips one day soon.

Best regards,
Amyntoros

marcus
Somatophylax

Post by marcus »

amyntoros wrote:Yes, I am even more envious and am not ashamed to admit it. :wink: You seem to be evolving into the Michael Wood of Pothos, only with a more accurate understanding of the historical Alexander and without the BBC cameras! I do hope you intend to write about these various trips one day soon.
Well, in time I intend to be updating the travel section on the main site, with pictures, etc.

I'm not sure how long these trips are going to last, however, as they hit the bank balance hard each time, and what with the recession ... I'm doing what I can, while I can! :?

ATB
Marcus
At Amazon US
At Amazon UK
Semiramis
Hetairos (companion)

Post by Semiramis »

Amyntoros,

Thank you for those awesome links! Haven't finished investigating all of them yet, but they really make me want to visit Iran.

Marcus,

Jealous, jealous, extremely jealous of you! Argh! :mrgreen:
Tantalus
Pezhetairos (foot soldier)

Post by Tantalus »

This is interesting.

Persepolis in 360 Panorama

Just a few quick directions:

- Click on the video.
- Choose Full Screen.
- Hold down your left mouse button and move curser in direction you want to go. left, right, up down.
- Use scroll on mouse to enlarge area.

The pictures can be blurry at times. And I would like a more complete survey of Persepolis. But this may be the closest I get to strolling through Persepolis.
There is rest and healing in the contemplation of antiquities. - Mark Twain
marcus
Somatophylax

Post by marcus »

Semiramis wrote:Marcus,

Jealous, jealous, extremely jealous of you! Argh! :mrgreen:
* Maracanda - tick
* Alexandria Margiana - tick
* The Elburz Mountains, close to the area that counted as Hyrcania - tick
* Nisa (the Parthian city which Alexander almost certainly visited) - tick
* Crossing the Jaxartes (albeit much further north than Alexander did, and on a coach over a bridge) - tick
* Crossing the Oxus (similarly not where Alexander did, and walking across a pontoon bridge rather than clinging to a chaff-filled tent cloth) - tick
* Crossing the Zerafshan River, which is probably the Polytimetus, where Spitamenes wiped out the Macedonian force while Alexander was up at the Jaxartes - tick

(Marcus sits back with a self-satisfied, smug smile, knowing how unattractive such boastfulness is, but promising to organise some photos for Pothos soon.)

ATB
Marcus
At Amazon US
At Amazon UK
athenas owl
Hetairos (companion)

Post by athenas owl »

marcus wrote:
(Marcus sits back with a self-satisfied, smug smile, knowing how unattractive such boastfulness is, but promising to organise some photos for Pothos soon.)

ATB
AO sends smug Marcus a big raspberry. But politely, because she really would like to see the pictures. A little jealous, but mostly happy for you.
amyntoros
Somatophylax

Post by amyntoros »

marcus wrote:
Well ... I'll get to see the Bactrian Gold exhibit fairly soon, about a year before it travels to England. Yeah, I know, a rather sad, pathetic boast when compared with yours. I am g-r-e-e-n with envy. :P

Best regards,
Amyntoros

marcus
Somatophylax

Post by marcus »

amyntoros wrote:
marcus wrote:
Well ... I'll get to see the Bactrian Gold exhibit fairly soon, about a year before it travels to England. Yeah, I know, a rather sad, pathetic boast when compared with yours. I am g-r-e-e-n with envy. :P
Nope - I'm dead jealous about that! I can't wait for the exhibition to arrive in the UK, when it eventually does ...

ATB
Marcus
At Amazon US
At Amazon UK