Another AtG statue ...

Discuss the culture of Alexander's world and his image in art

Moderator: pothos moderators

marcus
Somatophylax

Another AtG statue ...

Post by marcus »

Following on from the previous discussion about the proposed Alexander statue at Gaugamela, here's another piece I picked up from Rogueclassicism today. This is only part of what's on Rogueclassicism:

Seventeen years after its acquisition by the Greek culture ministry, the rendition of the military commander has been gathering dust in a basement storeroom because of fierce controversy over where to put the sculpture. Nationalist-minded politicians, on both sides of the spectrum, believe the statue “rightfully” belongs to a prominent square in the heart of ancient Athens. There, they say, the Macedonian king would not only receive maximum viewing but the reverence he deserves from a people who see themselves as his rightful descendants.

The full story is at the Guardian.

ATB
Marcus
Sine doctrina vita est quasi mortis imago
At Amazon US
At Amazon UK
Paralus
Chiliarch

Re: Another AtG statue ...

Post by Paralus »

You're a stirrer Marcus.

Nationalists from Pella no doubt...
Paralus
Ἐπὶ τοὺς πατέρας, ὦ κακαὶ κεφαλαί, τοὺς μετὰ Φιλίππου καὶ Ἀλεξάνδρου τὰ ὅλα κατειργασμένους;
Wicked men, you sin against your fathers, who conquered the whole world under Philip and Alexander.

Academia.edu
Nikas
Pezhetairos (foot soldier)

Post by Nikas »

Paralus wrote:Nationalists from Pella no doubt...
Nationalists from Macedonia no doubt :)

To be fair, wasn't Philip the conqueror of Athens?

Poor Alexander, he goes off to avenge those Athenians for those Persian outrages and still gets nothing but grief from those ingrates... :wink:
amyntoros
Somatophylax

Post by amyntoros »

Nikas wrote:Poor Alexander, he goes off to avenge those Athenians for those Persian outrages and still gets nothing but grief from those ingrates... :wink:
What was it he was supposed to have said in India? Ah, yes, found it (Plutarch 60.6): "And here it was that he is said to have cried: "O Athenians, can ye possibly believe what perils I am undergoing to win glory in your eyes?" :wink:

Best regards,
Amyntoros

Pothos Lunch Room Monitor
Nikas
Pezhetairos (foot soldier)

Post by Nikas »

amyntoros wrote:
Nikas wrote:Poor Alexander, he goes off to avenge those Athenians for those Persian outrages and still gets nothing but grief from those ingrates... :wink:
What was it he was supposed to have said in India? Ah, yes, found it (Plutarch 60.6): "And here it was that he is said to have cried: "O Athenians, can ye possibly believe what perils I am undergoing to win glory in your eyes?" :wink:

Best regards,
You read my mind :)

Many thanks for locating the source!

Best Regards,
jan
Strategos (general)

Post by jan »

Oh my, a singing statue yet to boot~! Now that is novel! That is the funniest and strangest story I have ever read! I can't stop laughing! :D :wink: