Babylon Today

Discuss the culture of Alexander's world and his image in art

Moderator: pothos moderators

derek
Pezhetairos (foot soldier)

Babylon Today

Post by derek »

All,

The BBC website has a quite interesting article on Babylon by a reporter who has just visited the site. Make sure you also follow the link to see the photo's.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/middle_east/7729064.stm

Even in its present state, it's still another place on my list. Sigh, maybe I'll get there one day...

Derek
marcus
Somatophylax

Re: Babylon Today

Post by marcus »

derek wrote:All,

The BBC website has a quite interesting article on Babylon by a reporter who has just visited the site. Make sure you also follow the link to see the photo's.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/middle_east/7729064.stm

Even in its present state, it's still another place on my list. Sigh, maybe I'll get there one day...

Derek
UK-based Pothosians should be aware that the British Museum's new exhibition on Babylon opened this week. I am going on 29 November, but I know people who have already visited - great, but a bit uneven in places, seems to be the main feedback.

Still, I would urge anyone and everyone to go, naturally!

ATB
Marcus
Sine doctrina vita est quasi mortis imago
At Amazon US
At Amazon UK
Fiona
Hetairos (companion)

Post by Fiona »

Thanks, Derek, a sad but interesting story. I hope that deeper down, interesting layers lie undisturbed, and that one day when the time is right, they can be investigated properly. I guess the only good thing about the current set-up is that at least it's accessible, and hasn't been lost under the centre of a modern city.
Fiona
ruthaki
Strategos (general)

Post by ruthaki »

My good friend Jabbar al Janabi, who was a well-known artist from Baghdad, (now living here in exile thanks to Sadaam) has had art exhibits at the site. Yes...another one of those 'must see' places but who knows when that will ever happen. (Even Jabbar can't go home). And I wonder how much damage the site has suffered due to the war?