How much do you know about Macedon? Try this quiz.

Discuss the culture of Alexander's world and his image in art

Moderator: pothos moderators

Theseus
Pezhetairos (foot soldier)

How much do you know about Macedon? Try this quiz.

Post by Theseus »

I long for wealth, but to win it by wrongful means I have no desire. Justice, though slow, is sure.
"Solon Fragment 13" poem
karen
Hetairos (companion)

Post by karen »

I got 8/10... was certain on most of them, iffy on three or four, but unfortunately, it doesn't tell you which questions you got wrong!
marcus
Somatophylax

Post by marcus »

karen wrote:I got 8/10... was certain on most of them, iffy on three or four, but unfortunately, it doesn't tell you which questions you got wrong!
Well, the answers to a couple of the questions were decidedly iffy, too! I only got 7/10 ... and it told me that I need to investigate later Macedonian history a lot more - woefully inadequate! :cry:

ATB
Marcus
Sine doctrina vita est quasi mortis imago
At Amazon US
At Amazon UK
Theseus

Post by Theseus »

There is a link on the page that you click to see the answers to the questions. I am embarrased to say I got 6/10. :oops: AT least I did well at the Hephaestion quiz! :lol: I did learn some things I did not know at least.
I long for wealth, but to win it by wrongful means I have no desire. Justice, though slow, is sure.
"Solon Fragment 13" poem
Sandra

Post by Sandra »

Got 8/10... not bad... although I was a little angry for not displaying right answers...
amyntoros
Somatophylax

Post by amyntoros »

8/10. Got the first one wrong - and I shouldn't have - but I was thrown by the phrase "after the great flood." It seems such a biblical expression that I thought it must be the wrong answer, even though I know the country was named after a man called Macedon. :)

T'other wrong answer was about the last Macedonian king.

Best regards,
Amyntoros

Pothos Lunch Room Monitor
Trader

Question

Post by Trader »

Can anyone cite the source for the story about the man named "Macedon"?
I'd heard of at least three myths concerning the beginnings of Macedon but never that one.
That was the question I missed.
Callisto

Post by Callisto »

Hesiodus makes Macedon son of Zeus and Thyia, daughter of Deucalion and Hellanicus makes Macedon a son of Aeolus.

Got 9/10 and lost the one with Thessalonike. The right answers are in the bottom, right before the date.
Efstathios
Hetairos (companion)

Post by Efstathios »

Makednos was probably derived from the Doric adjective "makedis" and the noun "makos" which meant the same thing, length. In Attic it was "makros". Homer also uses this word, "makednos" to indicate a tall tree. In the case of the Macedonians It was used to indicate tall people, as they were generally considered tall. So, "Makednos" became "Makedon" during the ages.

And of course there are the myths.

Defkalion and Pyrra were the first to inhabbit in Thessaly. They had 7 children. Hellin, Amfiktyonas, Kandyvos, Pandora, Thia, Melantho, Protogenia. Thia had two children, Makednon and Magni. Thia with her two children went to Pieria. And so on. What is interesting is that Macedonia had 16 peripheries, under one King. The Macedonian star has also 16 rays. So, possibly the Macedonian star's rays symbolized the peripheries. The peripheries only accepted a King from the house of Hercules, and they were named as Timenides, from Hercules' great grandson Timenos. The peripheries were Hemathia, Pieria, Vottiaia, Helimia, Tymfaia, Lygkos, Eordaia, Almopia, Orestis, Mygdonia, Halkidiki, Vysanta, Kristonia, Hedonis, Odomantiki, Sintiki.
Phoebus

Post by Phoebus »

10/10.

I am apparently an honorary citizen of Macedon. :)
Vergina Sun

Post by Vergina Sun »

9/10 surprisingly. On Question 8, though, it says "Perseus. Though the name is the same as the mythological figure who brought fire to mankind, Perseus was really the last king of Macedon." Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Prometheus give fire to mankind?
amyntoros
Somatophylax

Re: Question

Post by amyntoros »

Trader wrote:Can anyone cite the source for the story about the man named "Macedon"?
I'd heard of at least three myths concerning the beginnings of Macedon but never that one.
That was the question I missed.
There's this fragment from Book 7 of Strabo, although it isn't really a myth about the beginnings of Macedon - more a note on the origins of the name. :)
Fragment 11. The country now called Macedonia was formerly called Emathia. It acquired this name from Macedon, one of its ancient princes.

Best regards,
Amyntoros

Pothos Lunch Room Monitor
smittysmitty
Hetairos (companion)

Post by smittysmitty »

Deucalion's daughter Thyia bore thunder loving Zeus two sons, Magnes and macedon fighting from a chariot, and they dwelt around Pieria and Olympus. [Hesiod frag. 9]

This little know fragment has in my opinion received little discussion regarding its provenance. It is one of N.G.L. Hammonds favourite little tid bits used to distinguish the ethnicity of the Makedones.

I got 9 out of 10 - the Cassander question threw me - and I'm not sure that I agree that Thessaloniki became Macedons capital. I guesss it doesn't really matter anyhow.

Cheers !

Sorry put you on a bum steer - it's actually [Fragment 3] From the catalogue of Women. The fragment dates from somewhere around the 9th or tenth century C.E
Last edited by smittysmitty on Mon Nov 12, 2007 7:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Theseus

Post by Theseus »

Phoebus wrote:10/10.

I am apparently an honorary citizen of Macedon. :)
WOW! You know your Macedonian facts! :shock: I ummm need to study a bit more apparently.
"Solon Fragment 13" poem
Callisto

Post by Callisto »

smittysmitty wrote:
I got 9 out of 10 - the Cassander question threw me - and I'm not sure that I agree that Thessaloniki became Macedons capital. I guesss it doesn't really matter anyhow.
As a matter of fact i had the same thought about Thessalonica. I dont think it became capital prior to Roman era.