Alexander Sarcophagus...original colours

Discuss the culture of Alexander's world and his image in art

Moderator: pothos moderators

athenas owl
Hetairos (companion)

Alexander Sarcophagus...original colours

Post by athenas owl »

I did a search for this here and found some wonderful conversations. However, does anyone have a link or a book to recommend to me that shows the original colours recreated? I came across a few photos that showed one of the side panels and Alexander himself. I would really like to see the whole thing if it has been.

Thank you in advance.

I do want to get Stewart's book, but have to save my pennies.
marcus
Somatophylax

Re: Alexander Sarcohpagus...original colours

Post by marcus »

athenas owl wrote:I did a search for this here and found some wonderful conversations. However, does anyone have a link or a book to recommend to me that shows the original colours recreated? I came across a few photos that showed one of the side panels and Alexander himself. I would really like to see the whole thing if it has been.

Thank you in advance.

I do want to get Stewart's book, but have to save my pennies.
In the Archaeological Museum in Istanbul, where the sarcophagus is, there is a cast of Alexander (as he is represented on the sarcophagus), which has been painted in what they think were the original colours. Certainly there are some traces of colour.

I have a photo of it that I took last summer. I can't upload it at the moment, because I need to retrieve it off another computer and I really don't have the time this evening. I will try to remember to do it over the weekend.

ATB
Marcus
Sine doctrina vita est quasi mortis imago
At Amazon US
At Amazon UK
athenas owl
Hetairos (companion)

Post by athenas owl »

Thank you Marcus! I think I have seen some version of it, but if it isn't too much of a hassle that would be great.

I have seen a pic from the Aussie site that has a very simple colour version that lists the possible identites of the figures represented, but I have a feeling that it is a very unreliable rendering, though I don't know. It is part of the exhibit?

I remember the pic of ATG the colours were startling...as was the side panel, with the Persians in the incredible vibrant colours.

Growing up in the era where my image of the Hellenistic world seemed to be various shades of white..the friezes discovered in the tombs have been a wonderful experience for me. Trying to imagine how bright and garish and exuberant this lost world was...sometimes the visual aid is very handy.
sikander
Somatophylax

Colours

Post by sikander »

Greetings,

You might be able to find some information in Alpay Pasinli's book "The Book of Alexander Sarcophagus". It was originally printed in 1997 but reprinted in 2000.I believe you can find it on the internet, though it was orignally published in Turkey.

Regards,
Sikander
karen
Hetairos (companion)

Post by karen »

Hi folks:

I just googled up this: http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Image ... agus_1.JPG

Other views of same: http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Image ... agus_3.JPG

http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Image ... agus_2.JPG

Alas, the side with Alexander on it doesn't seem to have been done.

Warmly,
Karen
athenas owl
Hetairos (companion)

Post by athenas owl »

Thank you Karen for those links. Those are the ones I have seen, but lost..now I have them again.

Sikander, thank you as well, I just discovered that book last might. It and one by R.R.R. Smith, Sculptured for Eternity: Treasures of Hellenistic, Roman and Byzantine Art from Istanbul Archaeological Museum. It supposedly has the sarcophagus shown in it's original colours. Anyone familiar with this book?
marcus
Somatophylax

Alexander from the Alexander Sarcophagus

Post by marcus »

athenas owl wrote:Thank you Marcus! I think I have seen some version of it, but if it isn't too much of a hassle that would be great.
Here it is.

ATB
Marcus
Sine doctrina vita est quasi mortis imago
At Amazon US
At Amazon UK
Coral

Post by Coral »

http://www.windmillstravel.com/album.ph ... ity&page=9

It seems all that color was quite a shock to the folks visiting the exhibition at Athens!
amyntoros
Somatophylax

Post by amyntoros »

Coral wrote:http://www.windmillstravel.com/album.ph ... ity&page=9

It seems all that color was quite a shock to the folks visiting the exhibition at Athens!
Nice link! Thank you. When I look at the image of Alexander from the sarcophagus the words "a vision in red" insist on popping into my mind. :wink: Yes, I know it was probably closer to purple, but still ...

Best regards,
Amyntoros

Pothos Lunch Room Monitor
athenas owl
Hetairos (companion)

Post by athenas owl »

Thank you Coral! Great pictures.

Thanks to all of you for taking the time to find these for me.
Theseus
Pezhetairos (foot soldier)

Post by Theseus »

There is a picture of this in the new Archaeology magazine. Jan/Feb 08 issue.
There is also an interesting article on Archaeologist Christofilis Maggidis who is digging in Greece looking for the Mycenaeans. These are the people written about by Homer according to the article. Christofilis is focussing more on the everyday people instead of the palaces & royalty that other Archaeologist are looking for.
I long for wealth, but to win it by wrongful means I have no desire. Justice, though slow, is sure.
"Solon Fragment 13" poem