Oscar frocks - & Alexander

Discuss the culture of Alexander's world and his image in art

Moderator: pothos moderators

wmp
Pezhetairos (foot soldier)

Oscar frocks - & Alexander

Post by wmp »

I fear this will be regarded as a frivolous post - & I have no excuse, other than it is Friday...

I noticed a line in a Telegraph on-line article -

"Kate Winslet, nominated for best actress, chose an elegant, pale green chiffon gown by Valentino, which featured a trailing scarf panel trailing down the back from its single shoulder strap. She was carrying an extraordinary Bulgari vintage clutch bag decorated with three ancient Alexander the Great coins, dating from 336 - 323 BC." (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/fashion/main ... cars26.xml)

So is Kate an Alexander fan? Or was the bag just so cute she had to carry it at the Oscars? And how did Bvlgari fix the coins to the bag? ( :( ) Mind you, since the Bulgaris are descended from a family of Epiriote silversmiths, I'm less concerned that I might be - can't imagine them drilling holes in antiquities...

wmp
keroro
Pezhetairos (foot soldier)

Post by keroro »

A frivolous reply.

Maybe they're held on with superglue. Imagine the fallout if they fell off and went down a drain though.

Now seriously - they weren't real Alexander coins were they? Surely we're talking about replicas here.
Best wishes,

Keroro
Paralus
Chiliarch

Post by Paralus »

keroro wrote:Now seriously - they weren't real Alexander coins were they? Surely we're talking about replicas here.
Plastic - almost certainly. Bit like the rest of the "ceremony".
Paralus
Ἐπὶ τοὺς πατέρας, ὦ κακαὶ κεφαλαί, τοὺς μετὰ Φιλίππου καὶ Ἀλεξάνδρου τὰ ὅλα κατειργασμένους;
Wicked men, you sin against your fathers, who conquered the whole world under Philip and Alexander.

Academia.edu
amyntoros
Somatophylax

Post by amyntoros »

Paralus wrote:Plastic - almost certainly. Bit like the rest of the "ceremony".
Nah, think you are wrong - about the coins that is (I haven't watched the program for a decade, at least). Bulgari was and is an expensive name brand, more so in earlier years. Vintage Bulgari jewelry is quite popular among actresses these days and you’ll see them wearing necklaces, etc. with cabochon emeralds, turquoise, amethyst and diamonds, sapphires, emeralds and rubies. A vintage bag would not have been mass produced, and three Alexander the Great coins are not at all expensive when compared with precious stones.

Best regards,
Amyntoros

Pothos Lunch Room Monitor
marcus
Somatophylax

Post by marcus »

amyntoros wrote:three Alexander the Great coins are not at all expensive when compared with precious stones.
Good condition "Alexander" tetradrachms (not lifetime issues) were in Coincraft, by the British Museum, last Saturday, at between £195 and £395. Poorer conditions ones (and drachms) appear to be (at the moment) anything from £60. But the prices do fluctuate - I have to say, however, that the ones in Coincraft were in fabulous condition.

ATB
Marcus
Sine doctrina vita est quasi mortis imago
At Amazon US
At Amazon UK