Just checked out the Pompeii exhibit...

Discuss the culture of Alexander's world and his image in art

Moderator: pothos moderators

Nicator
Hetairos (companion)

Just checked out the Pompeii exhibit...

Post by Nicator »

Hello All,
I just took my son to the Pompeii, Herculaneum exhibit at the Field Museum in Chicago. It was pretty cool, of particular interest was the Mysteries of Dionysus stuff and a bronze vase in perfect condition with Alexander sitting on a throne with a lion resting its head on his lap and a Macedonian soldier standing behind him leaning on his spear. The figures depicted on the vase were not identified, but they were unmistakable.
later Nicator
Later Nicator

Thus, rain sodden and soaked, under darkness cloaked,
Alexander began, his grand plan, invoked...

The Epic of Alexander
Ambrosia
Pezhetairos (foot soldier)

Re: Just checked out the Pompeii exhibit...

Post by Ambrosia »

Wow thanks for sharing, I live in Chicago as well, and just got done explaining to some friends of mine that we should all arrange a day to go. Nice to hear that you enjoyed it.
jan
Strategos (general)

Post by jan »

Thanks, Nick, I just checked out the website. It is http://www.fieldmuseum.org/pompeii. Very interesting, and I noticed that King Tut exhibition is coming.
agesilaos
Strategos (general)

Post by agesilaos »

Interesting, is there a picture of this vase anywhere? Only the iconography would fit Lysimachos somewhat better than Alexander but without seeing it it is impossible to judge.
When you think about, it free-choice is the only possible option.
Nicator
Hetairos (companion)

Post by Nicator »

I doubt it, we weren't allowed to photograph anything (and I don't have a working camera anyway). You could check the website though if your adventerous and have a few hours to burn. The figure was nude, sitting on some kind of a bench (with no back) with his left side facing out (more or less at three quarters angle). The lioness had its head resting upon his right knee (if I recall correctly) with its right side facing out and standing on all fours. Behind the (Alexander?)figure was the helmeted figure, leaning on his lance (looking very bored). The slouching guard was facing full frontal (on the right side of the vase). You've almost made me curious enough to go back and spend the $15 to get more information on it. Nicator
Later Nicator

The Epic of Alexander
agesilaos
Strategos (general)

Post by agesilaos »

Trawled the web-site, sadly no sign of said artifact but it looked a well thought out exhibition, should it come to London I may go and see it, but it looks a bit small for the BM. But further to your description, Lysimachos' iconography always shows a maned lion but the figure's nudity is often a sign of divinity which would make it Dionysus with whom Alexander often identified himself so maybe your instincts were right all along.
When you think about, it free-choice is the only possible option.
Nicator
Hetairos (companion)

Post by Nicator »

Agesilos,
Nice interpretation! It was definetely a female (maneless) lion, and a nude figure fitting Alexander's stylized looks. One thing though, would Lysimachus have been memorialized in Rome? I thought this would only have been an honor held for the gods (greek or roman), a Caesar, or Alexander?
The exhibit seemed a little bit small for my tastes, but more iritating was the headset with some creepy liberal historian squaking in my ear. I paid $10 for the privelige, and most of what the female voice related was worthwhile. Except when this guy would break in to further explain something with a modern day liberal slant. Just tell it like it is pal, no need for all that ridiculousness, people will understand. There were slaves back then; that they were exploited is understood and doesn't require some modern to trounce the ancients for wrongdoing (that is if it can today be considered wrong).
Nicator
Later Nicator

The Epic of Alexander