Cyrene in Archaology magazine

Discuss the culture of Alexander's world and his image in art

Moderator: pothos moderators

jan
Strategos (general)

Cyrene in Archaology magazine

Post by jan »

The September/October issue of Archaeology magazine has an article on Cyrene which features another special statue of Alexander the Great. A discussion of Demeter and Persephone is included along with great photos.
jan
Strategos (general)

Re: Cyrene in Archaology magazine

Post by jan »

This article is written by Mark Rose, with appropriate links. I wondered if George Rose and Mark Rose are related. It is a very interesting and well written article, why wouldn't it be?, discussing the temples of Zeus which is some extraordinary 230 feet, larger than at Olympias. The size gives some indication of the importance of the city Cyrene which was built in 630 B.C. Excavations of the temple of DemeterPersephone also make up a large part of this article, which emphasizes the importance of the agrarian society, and the vast amount of influence of women to the area. This article is fascinating.
jan
Strategos (general)

Post by jan »

In Archaeology magazine, on page 29 is a full page ad for the Archaeological Institute of America Tours. In Search of Alexander the Great is being planned for September 25-October 30, 2006. The vital information is: 800-748-6262
Email:aiatours@sover.net
P.O. Box 938, 47 Main Street, Suite One
Walpole, NH03608-0938
Fax:603-756-2922 Toll:603-756-2884Other packages are offered on this advertisement page as well.
ruthaki
Strategos (general)

Post by ruthaki »

There's an article I wrote (& photos) of the Nekromanteion (Oracle of the Dead) near Parga. It's on two sites but this one has all the pix.
http://www.travel-wise.com ("Sailing to Hades")We can only speculate if Alexander ever visited there but I have no doubt Olympias probably did as it was in her domain. A very interesting site. I've been there twice. Worth a visit.