Alexander The Great - True Origins (Trailer)#2

This is a forum for off topic discussions, including testing if you are unsure how to post.

Moderator: pothos moderators

Telemaque007

Alexander The Great - True Origins (Trailer)#2

Post by Telemaque007 »

Dear comrades and neighbours,

Thanks for watching my new released video about the origins of Alexander.

Do not hesitate to discuss and spread this high piece of History the World should be aware of.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JvwTyGFjfmI

All the Best,
marcus
Somatophylax

Re: Alexander The Great - True Origins (Trailer)

Post by marcus »

Telemaque007 wrote:Thanks for watching my new released video about the origins of Alexander.

Do not hesitate to discuss and spread this high piece of History the World should be aware of.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JvwTyGFjfmI
Forum rules say that we won't allow the Greek/Macedonian debate. Can we refrain from other nationalities getting in on this, too, please?

ATB
Marcus
Sine doctrina vita est quasi mortis imago
At Amazon US
At Amazon UK
Telemaque007

Post by Telemaque007 »

Sorry if the truth hurts, it was not my point. The forum is about Alexander the Great such as my video, nothing to do with Greeks themselves...thx for your comprehension.

Regards,
marcus
Somatophylax

Post by marcus »

Telemaque007 wrote:Sorry if the truth hurts, it was not my point. The forum is about Alexander the Great such as my video, nothing to do with Greeks themselves...thx for your comprehension.

Regards,
Well, as the entire premise of your video is to claim that Alexander was Albanian rather than any other nationality (38 seconds); at 1.40 and 1.51 there are direct claims that Alexander was Albanian; and at 3.11 you say "Therefore he can only be Albanian" ... then I would say that you are inviting all sorts of counter-claims and argument from other countries. In addition, your statement at 3.25 is inflamatory. In fact, now I'm wishing I'd just deleted your post, but I won't do so at the moment.

If necessary, however, I will do so.

(By the way, why do you include a clip from "The Chronicles of Narnia"?)

ATB
Marcus
At Amazon US
At Amazon UK
jan
Strategos (general)

Post by jan »

Sorry to disappoint you but I found the trailer or teaser to be annoying and irritating...I do not think that a discussion of Alexander's roots is of any real importance to any but those nations who wish to have some bond with him...Since in today's society, his legend is mostly fantasy, and the so called academia works are based upon copies of histories there is almost no reason to give credence to anything but the fact that the only true evidence of Alexander lies in coins and a few busts and artwork that can be found...the only real point in the teaser is that Olympia is from Illyria, and I suppose that is cause to bond with Alexander who was born elsewhere...I truly did not like the trailer as there were too many excerpts from frivolous sources, a game show and a movie that was ridiculed...try again and do better for yourself! :wink:
Telemaque007

Post by Telemaque007 »

Thank you for your very constructive comments. I should have focused on giving more sources than searching the visual effects. His roots have no real importance. The first goal of this vid was to show off which current nation has mainly kept today his features. For sure modern Albanians are closer to him by : their language, their morphology, their tradition, their folkor...

If you're real fan of Alexander The great such I am here is my gift to you; a wide collection of references :

http://alexanderthegreat.wordpress.com/

Thanks again Jan for your words...next video will be better I hope.
Semiramis
Hetairos (companion)

Post by Semiramis »

Why're you so keen on finding some sort of tie with Alexander? I mean, he started a lot of wars, killed a lot of people. War's no fun...
agesilaos
Strategos (general)

Post by agesilaos »

Oh dear! :( That Epirus is roughly where modern Albania is can be accepted but the geographical clarification is emphatically NOT an ethnic one. The population of the Balkans has changed dramatically since Alexander's day.

Nor do cultural survivals or loan-words indicate a persistence of population, we have Morris dancing here but the population is not Celtic, indeed it is likely that the Britons never were, but that is another matter. :shock:
When you think about, it free-choice is the only possible option.
Fingy

Post by Fingy »

Alexander was half Epirot, half Macedonian. Neither of these ethnic groups exists today in their ancient form. If anyone can claim Alexander as their own it is the inhabitants of Pella in the province of Macedonia, in Greece.
marcus
Somatophylax

Post by marcus »

Oh dear, this is exactly why I wanted to delete and against my better judgement didn't. Can we just not get into it at all?

ATB
Marcus
At Amazon US
At Amazon UK
athenas owl
Hetairos (companion)

Post by athenas owl »

marcus wrote:Oh dear, this is exactly why I wanted to delete and against my better judgement didn't. Can we just not get into it at all?

ATB
One of the things I love about this place is that we can talk about ancient history without the modern hoohaw entering into it. If you can't bring yourself to delete it..how about moving it into the "off-topic" forum?
Semiramis
Hetairos (companion)

Post by Semiramis »

The only people who can claim Alexander are the Libyans. There is indisputable evidence that Amun, his father, is of Libyan origin. :P
jan
Strategos (general)

Post by jan »

Hello again, I see that you just joined Pothos on April 24, 2010, so I wish to welcome you and thank you for your gift. I read through the entire link and found it very rewarding. It would appear that if Philip also had a mother who had been an Illyrian Princess that a lot of the important bloodline can be said to be Illyrian. Thank you for all the selections as several were very important to me.

Bear with me. It will sound strange I know but I had had a dream this past week in which I am confident that the book on Macedonia by Jane Cowan is a match to my dream. I was very surprised to find some information there that coincided with even a phrase that I said in the dream and so am certain now that there is a direct connection. I have to thank you for placing this post here as it is helpful for me to know this.

I know how important genaeologies can be to individuals and I appreciate it that the Illyrian heritage is important enough for so many authors to explain its significance in the life of Alexander. He was very loyal to his mother, and it would have behooved him to have probably given more recognition to her ancestors than trying to always appeal to the goodwill of the Athenians and Thebans and others who were clearly Greek, even Sparta. So you make a good point that Albanians have a rightful place in history regarding the life and bloodlines of the great legendary leader, Alexander, and I thank you for helping me to understand some things as well.

Good luck in your next project. And thanks for accepting my criticism. I appreciate your thoughts and most especially your gift.
Paralus
Chiliarch

Post by Paralus »

marcus wrote:Oh dear, this is exactly why I wanted to delete and against my better judgement didn't. Can we just not get into it at all?
A better judgement would be to delete.

What a febrile load. Quite aside from the fact that the Greeks, Macedonians, Dardanians, Agrianes, Paeonians, etc will have had no idea at all just exactly what Albania was (as it did not exist) I wonder at the constant tosh of "Greeks fought against Alexander" , "the Greeks hated his father (Philip II)".

This is news? This, supposedly, leads to some deep insight of some description? Leave it out! The Greeks "hated" each other enough to kill each other for centuries. Thebes and Athens had a marvellous relationship: alliance for casual convenience and cordial loathing in between. They were not exceptions. The Greeks hated anyone - barbaroi or Greek - who had the temerity to bring them to heel. Philip II was hated for his mastery over Greece (ditto his son) in the same fashion that the subjects of the Athenian Empire hated Athens. Nothing to do with where he was from.

Aratus too hated Macedonia for its control of Peloponnesian affairs and, when he'd rid the Peloponnese of that control, did what any decent Greek would do: he invaded Athenian territory (more than once) to "battle her" into joining his wonderful Achaean League.

Delete it Marcus.
Paralus
Ἐπὶ τοὺς πατέρας, ὦ κακαὶ κεφαλαί, τοὺς μετὰ Φιλίππου καὶ Ἀλεξάνδρου τὰ ὅλα κατειργασμένους;
Wicked men, you sin against your fathers, who conquered the whole world under Philip and Alexander.

Academia.edu
marcus
Somatophylax

Post by marcus »

Paralus wrote:
Delete it Marcus.
Well, I decided to move it to "off topic".

ATB
Marcus
At Amazon US
At Amazon UK