You can never re-create history

This is a forum for off topic discussions, including testing if you are unsure how to post.

Moderator: pothos moderators

ancientboy

You can never re-create history

Post by ancientboy »

Man we live in a sad world . . .

When terrorists destroy historical buildings that are 1000s of years old, just re-create them with this thing called '3d printing'.

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-36070721

How about '3d Printing' real weapons for the people who are fighting these enemies of humanity?

It's nice to see that people can make this stuff for enjoyment
like this Colosseum model (Apparently 3d printed as well):

https://pinshape.com/items/10631-3d-prin...n-coliseum

However, am I suppose to be excited because we can re-create (Cheap replicas really) of historical monuments?

Man this PC culture grinds my gears . . . This is what the future is going to be like . . .

"Hey Son, look at that, thats the Pyramid of Giza. In real life, it use to be 100 times bigger than this but terrorists destroyed them.
Now put on your bulletproof vest and let's go sightseeing :) - Yaaaay!". Gimme a break! Sorry for the rant . . .
sean_m
Hetairos (companion)

Re: You can never re-create history

Post by sean_m »

You already posted this in that other place.

If you visit Italy and look closely, a lot of what you see was destroyed by Germans or Americans or British or Canadians in the last war and rebuilt. Some of them were trying to inflict terror, some had tactical objectives, and some were just grumpy. The Veronese hauled every stone of their bridges out of the icy Adige. A lot was rebuilt in the last 500 years to turn crumbling ruins into something stable and usable, or to remove medieval and modern buildings and reveal the ancient remains. Panta rhei.
My blog (Warning: may contain up to 95% non-Alexandrian content, rated shamelessly philobarbarian by 1 out of 1 Plutarchs)
sean_m
Hetairos (companion)

Post by sean_m »

As for arming people in Syria ... who? Something like 95% of the fighters in Syria are aligned with either Assad's government or one of the big three Islamist groups. The Kurds are nowhere near Palmyra and have their hands full protecting their own people. And quite a few estimates have Assad doing most of the killing and torturing, even if he does not post it to YouTube with an English soundtrack https://gatesofnineveh.wordpress.com/20 ... ropaganda/

If a small group gets some good weapons or training, then one of the big resistance groups sends a lot of technicals to their headquarters and explains that they can sell the weapons, or they can join the big group, or they can die.
My blog (Warning: may contain up to 95% non-Alexandrian content, rated shamelessly philobarbarian by 1 out of 1 Plutarchs)
sean_m
Hetairos (companion)

Post by sean_m »

Also, I think we can agree that the situation in Syria sucks. But at least we are not the ones who have to decide whether to let ourselves be conscripted by one of three horrible factions to murder our fellow countrymen, or whether to risk sending our children away in a leaky boat in hope that they will make it to safety, or whether to risk going and getting water for our sick grandparents while shells are still falling in the streets.

And the purpose of destroying classical sites and recording it (just like the purpose of terrorist attacks outside the war zone) is to provoke foreigners into doing something violent, impulsive, and ineffective in response. "First do no harm" is not a bad rule of thumb, and helping any of the major factions in the Syrian civil war has the potential to do a lot of harm.