The island where nothing happened (?)

This is a forum for off topic discussions, including testing if you are unsure how to post.

Moderator: pothos moderators

system1988
Hetairos (companion)

The island where nothing happened (?)

Post by system1988 »

Hey all, I am back!

I want to share a bit of my vacation with you. This summer I went with friends (and a dog apparently) to the Patmos and Leros islands. Our travel plans were more ambitious than that. Indeed, our initial plan was to visit Kos island as well as Turkey but some unpredictable stuff happened along the way so the plan was downsized to what I shall share with you in the link.

Here is the album with photos from Patmos
http://s1246.photobucket.com/user/IamSy ... t=3&page=1

From Patmos

Patmos and Christianity are irresoluble linked in the late 1st century A.D. Emperor Dometian drives the Apostle St. John to the exile of Patmos (84-96 A.D.), whereby he is said to have experienced the terrible visions of the Apocalypse and perhaps to have composed the 4th Gospel.

"I am John, your brother, and as a follower of Jesus I am your partner in patiently enduring the sufferings that comes to those who belong to his Kingdom. I was put on the island of Patmos because I had proclaimed God's word and the truth that Jesus revealed.
On the Lord's day the spirit took control of me, and I heard a loud voice, that sounded like a trumpet, speaking behind me. It said, "Write down what you see, and send the book to the churches in those seven cities..." (Rev. 1, 9-11)

The Great Treasury of the Monastery of St. John the Theologian in Patmos is the greatest Museum in the Aegean, with collections among the most important in the world. Some of the most precious artefacts of the Byzantine and post Byzantine period are exhibited in two wings. These include: documents, manuscripts and incunabula, icons and ecclesiastical objects and furniture, jewels and votives, classical and early-christian antiquites, as well as representative items from the vast Ottoman and Slavic collections of documents and artefacts.

Leros Island
http://s1246.photobucket.com/user/IamSy ... t=3&page=1

Leros was apparently the place where communists were sent to exile from the government. During WWII the island was partially bombarded by the German forces who considered its strategic position as critical. True enough, the island is perimetrically surrounded by an old guns and artilerry graveyard, all sunk at the bottom of the sea. Almost 100 British soldiers were killed in Leros and the island has a cemetery built in their honor.
Also in Leros ( on the island of Farmakussa) ) the general Attalos was murdered by order of Alexander.( And I was thinking that nothing important happened on that island... )
Today a happy crowd compiled of Italians, French, British and Turk toursists all spend their vacations there.
Πάντες άνθρωποι του ειδέναι ορέγονται φύσει
delos13
Pezhetairos (foot soldier)

Re: The island where nothing happened (?)

Post by delos13 »

system1988 wrote:Also in Leros ( on the island of Farmakussa) ) the general Attalos was murdered by order of Alexander
It's an interesting piece of information, I always presumed that he was killed somewhere on the mainland (modern Turkey). I wonder what he was doing on that island? Also, I am curious, from where this information is coming - do you have any details?

Thanks for sharing.
system1988
Hetairos (companion)

Re: The island where nothing happened (?)

Post by system1988 »

delos13 wrote:
system1988 wrote:Also in Leros ( on the island of Farmakussa) ) the general Attalos was murdered by order of Alexander
It's an interesting piece of information, I always presumed that he was killed somewhere on the mainland (modern Turkey). I wonder what he was doing on that island? Also, I am curious, from where this information is coming - do you have any details?

Thanks for sharing.

Yes, the source is the greek writer Stephanus Byzantinus ( 6 A. D ).As to what he was doing on that little island the answer: It was his only escape!
Πάντες άνθρωποι του ειδέναι ορέγονται φύσει