EXCAVATIONS 2000-2010

This is a forum for off topic discussions, including testing if you are unsure how to post.

Moderator: pothos moderators

system1988
Hetairos (companion)

EXCAVATIONS 2000-2010

Post by system1988 »

http://www.yppo.gr/0/anaskafes/

Macedonia -Thrace
ΙΣΤ' Τhessalonike
ΙΖ' PELLA AEGAE,MIEZA KOZANI.
ΙΗ' PHILIPPOI ,THASOS
ΙΘ' ABDERA,SAMOTRACE ( page 204 fig.10 !) MARONIA
ΚΖ' PIERIA,METHONI,LEIBITHRA,MAKRISGHIALOS.
ΚΗ 'SERRES ANCIENT VERGHI
ΚΘ 'KASTORIA
Λ' KOZANI, AEANI
EPIRUS
ΙΒ' IOANNINA,ARTA,PREVESA ANTIGONIA
ΛΒ' ΤΗESPROTIA GHITANA
Πάντες άνθρωποι του ειδέναι ορέγονται φύσει
Xenophon
Hetairos (companion)

Re: EXCAVATIONS 2000-2010

Post by Xenophon »

Thanks once again for posting, as ever, lots of very interesting material.

My Greek is virtually non existent, but I take the emboldened line referring to p.204 figure 10 refers to the rather spectacular photo of a buried cart or chariot, complete with two horses? Can you tell us more about it ?
system1988
Hetairos (companion)

Re: EXCAVATIONS 2000-2010

Post by system1988 »

Xenophon wrote:Thanks once again for posting, as ever, lots of very interesting material.

My Greek is virtually non existent, but I take the emboldened line referring to p.204 figure 10 refers to the rather spectacular photo of a buried cart or chariot, complete with two horses? Can you tell us more about it ?
"Carts and cremations in the mound between Mikri Doxipara and Zoni."
The mound constructed on a natural elevation, is one of the largest in Thrace, with a diameter of 60 and a height of 7.5m , and it is very close to the Greek-Bulgarian border.The mound covered four cremation burials, five carts, and two horse burials.Other finds included several areas with remains of offerings,two hearth pits, and two four-sided brick stuctures that were used as altars.
The find dates to the late 1st and early 2nd century AD,and probably belonged to the family pf a wealthy local landowner.
A very summative of the english summary of the scientific article written by the archaeologists D.Triandafyllos and D.Terzopoulou in the A.E.M.Θ ( Archaeological facts in Macedonia and Thrace )
The location isnt in Samothrace -my mistake- but in Thrace., a region famous for its horses ( in myths etc)

the link for the photos

http://s1246.photobucket.com/user/IamSy ... t=3&page=1

The hillock (tumulus) before the excavation, the carts a,b,c and d.
Πάντες άνθρωποι του ειδέναι ορέγονται φύσει