Macedonian tomb of Ayios (Saint) Athanasios

This is a forum for off topic discussions, including testing if you are unsure how to post.

Moderator: pothos moderators

system1988
Hetairos (companion)

Macedonian tomb of Ayios (Saint) Athanasios

Post by system1988 »

http://s1246.photobucket.com/albums/gg6 ... ystem1988/

This is as link to an album i created in photbucket.com due to pothos.org photos size limit. You can view the photos as well as zoom them in and out.

The tomb was discovered in 1994 in the municipality of Ayios Athanasios about 20km west of Thessaloniki and 15 km from ancient Pella. It was graverobbed in the past and it contained the cremated remains of the distinguished occupant. The painted composition of the frieze depicts a total of 25 figures. At the center are depicted six banqueters crowned with wreaths and they are listening to the music of the kithara played a female mucisian. There is also a group of three mounted men and their attendants on foot as well as eight more men dressed military armour. The banquet takes place in Macedonia, in an open- air space of what is presumably a luxury residence owned by a high- ranking militarty officer, probably an etairos, a "companion" of the royal court. The doorway is framed by 2 male figures who appear to be guarding the entrance to the tomb. Above theior heads two hanging shields are depicted in bright colors and with striking emblems.

As I said the deceased was one person , a man, who was burried with his armor which is proved by the countless fragments of iron that were found along with his remains.

The tomb dates back to the end of the 4th century BC.

I hope I created a little "atmosphere".

You should know that the info given is relatively tiny to the volume that the book in its entirety (250 pages) actually has to offer.
The information and the photos came from Maria Tsimpidou- Auloniti's "The Macedonia Tombs at Phinikas and Ayios Athanasios in the area of Thessaloniki" - MInistry of Culture 2005

Best regards to all.
Πάντες άνθρωποι του ειδέναι ορέγονται φύσει
lysis56
Pezhetairos (foot soldier)

Re: Macedonian tomb of Ayios (Saint) Athanasios

Post by lysis56 »

What a fantastic tomb! Thank you for posting this information. The quality of the tomb's paintings are just breathtaking - how much is restoration? Is the tomb open to the public? I would definintely like to see this when I come to Greece, of course, if at all possible. Just perusing the photos you posted seemed to breathe life into the history of that particularly tumultious and fascinating time in history. To see the individual faces, for a writer it makes one move past imagination and into a more solid reality. These depict real individuals whose lives are minutely depicted for posterity if only for a moment in time. I am just fascinated by it! What a wonderful find!

Lysis
(Elizabeth)
system1988
Hetairos (companion)

Post by system1988 »

lysis56 wrote:What a fantastic tomb! Thank you for posting this information. The quality of the tomb's paintings are just breathtaking - how much is restoration? Is the tomb open to the public? I would definintely like to see this when I come to Greece, of course, if at all possible. Just perusing the photos you posted seemed to breathe life into the history of that particularly tumultious and fascinating time in history. To see the individual faces, for a writer it makes one move past imagination and into a more solid reality. These depict real individuals whose lives are minutely depicted for posterity if only for a moment in time. I am just fascinated by it! What a wonderful find!

Lysis
(Elizabeth)
Thank you for your comment. This tomb is one of the greatest findings in the history of Macedonian tombs to date both from a painting and depicting point of view. The painting does have some new colors as far as Macedonian tombs are concerned. The depiction offers almost actual- sized figures guarding the entrance. If I were to refer to all the intereting points and remarks that have to be made in order for all to get a clearer view of this I am afraid that the site's size limit would be a serious concern (the facade has illusionistic elements in order to gain in depth, the rare painted ionic frieze, the gold disk - the sun- flanked by two lion- griffins with falci- form wings- the sun as a symbol of eternal rebirth, the symposium scene which has both a earthy but at the same time death-touched essence -with the dead host at the exact center holding a rhyton etc...) Hundreds of pages have already been writen about these elements as analyses.

What I believe to be interesting is that it is as if we are seeing photographs of Alexander the Great and his companions. The two guards wear the Kausia which was worn by the King as well (but in his case it was more decorated). The hiton of the youth on the left says a lot about how Macedonians of the time dressed, especially the hiton has a decorative white stripe on the sleeve which continues vertically down to the entire garment. The brooch which held his double colored hiton can be seen near the sarissa pole just as the two small chains which hung by the brooch. If one were to zoon in, one could see all these details clearly.

Tomorrow I will make a phone call and get back to you with an answer on whether this tomb is open to the public or not.
lysis56
Pezhetairos (foot soldier)

Post by lysis56 »

I did wonder if the frescos might not depict various scenes of Alexander and his court. I'll have to get a copy of the book you mentioned that was publshed about the tomb. That shield with what looks like wings depicted just fascinates me. The colors are so exquisite. It reminds me of the colors from some of the tombs in the Valley of the Kings in Egypt, so brilliant even after thousands of years. Yet, what's more interesting is what the artist has caught out and preserved for all time (well, as long as the tomb exists) are these wonderous scenes and little windows into something so real to life. I love it when this sort of material is available to us today, we can live so to speak side by side with the past, if only for a moment.

Lysis (Elizabeth)
Paralus
Chiliarch

Post by Paralus »

system1988 wrote:You should know that the info given is relatively tiny to the volume that the book in its entirety (250 pages) actually has to offer. The information and the photos came from Maria Tsimpidou- Auloniti's "The Macedonia Tombs at Phinikas and Ayios Athanasios in the area of Thessaloniki" - MInistry of Culture 2005

Best regards to all.
I cannot find this anywhere. Is this a "guidebook" or - finally (!!) - a published report on the tombs? Either way, how does one lay hands on a copy?

The Aghios Athanasios tomb paintings are known to me from another museum publication. It clearly was a high ranking figure given the nature of the tomb. The guards at the entrance - quite sad looking - either carry what are somewhat foreshortened sarisae or xysta. It is likely the former as one might expect mounted men to carry the latter and a full life-sized version of the sarisa will not have fit.

The fellows carrying what appear to be spear and shields (longche?) have always intrigued me. Assuming these blokes are 1.7 metres tall there seem two distinct shield diameters. The blue and red would be approximately 80-82 cm and that carried (white) seems near to 71cm. Not a single one is rimmed and so not classical hoplite aspides. The aspis bearing infantry on the "Alexander sarcophagus" seem near to 85cm and, without rim, would accord well with those larger shields in the Aghios Athanasios frieze.

If the artwork is historically accurate, I have always harboured the view that the apsis bearing troops on the sarcophagus were the agema of the hypaspists. These, as sons of the nobility, could afford such a panoply. Perhaps the sculptor took a view too classically Greek and turned Macedonian 80-82cm shields into classic aspides?
Paralus
Ἐπὶ τοὺς πατέρας, ὦ κακαὶ κεφαλαί, τοὺς μετὰ Φιλίππου καὶ Ἀλεξάνδρου τὰ ὅλα κατειργασμένους;
Wicked men, you sin against your fathers, who conquered the whole world under Philip and Alexander.

Academia.edu
agesilaos
Strategos (general)

Post by agesilaos »

Mounted men may, of course dismount; examining these long spears you might notice that they lack both the mighty sauroter/butt spike and the so-called joining tube, features one would expect to find on an accurate painting. So I would plump for xysta over sarissai.

These figures resemble those in the tombs at Kazanluk and another Thracian site which escapes my memory (Seuthopolis?) are there any photos of these does anyone know?
When you think about, it free-choice is the only possible option.
Paralus
Chiliarch

Post by Paralus »

The dress favours the xyston: these blokes don't really look like phalangites unless they are "officers". That said, they are strange tomb guards - cavalrymen on foot with their xysta. This is, to me, unusual. I'd expect infantry with their respective arms which is what we find in the various descriptions of Clitus' murder. Also, I don't necessarily subscribe to Andronikos' (now seemingly entrenched view) of the sarisa. I'd certainly need to be convinced of the efficacy of that "joiner": the next sarisa I poked into someone that left it's business end lodged as I withdrew would certainly be the last! Sekunda's paper on this is intriguing.

On the "Alexander" sarcophagus, if the "Macedonian" aspides are historically correct, so then are those wielded by the Persians. A vexed source is this sarcophagus. Which has not stopped several from claiming that the hypaspists were all hoplites.
Paralus
Ἐπὶ τοὺς πατέρας, ὦ κακαὶ κεφαλαί, τοὺς μετὰ Φιλίππου καὶ Ἀλεξάνδρου τὰ ὅλα κατειργασμένους;
Wicked men, you sin against your fathers, who conquered the whole world under Philip and Alexander.

Academia.edu
system1988
Hetairos (companion)

Post by system1988 »

Paralus wrote:
I cannot find this anywhere. Is this a "guidebook" or - finally (!!) - a published report on the tombs? Either way, how does one lay hands on a copy?
You are unable to find it because it is not for sale outside Greece. Even in Greece you can only find it in certain bookstores. It is the scientific research- presentation (not a guide) of the archaeologist who dug the 2 tombs with all the findings and the book itself was sent to the archaeologists of the archaeological departments. However, despite all the remarkable photographs and designs I don't believe it would be of any use to you since it was written exclusively in Greek with only a small summary in English and Italian. The bibliography presented is particulary valuable. If you wish I could quote all the bigliography that was used to describe the Macedonian weapons and equipment. :D

PS

The tomb contained a gold quarter stater of Philip II. It's original edition are not yet determined (it was either cut in 340-328 BC or 336- 328 BC)
agesilaos
Strategos (general)

Post by agesilaos »

I too am dubious about the 'joiner' preferring the theory that it is reinforcement for the handle protecting it from corrosion from sweaty palms; the butt-spike is another matter, Polybios tells us that the sarissa had a large weighted butt to act as a counter-balance to the fourteen feet or so of pike forward of the hands.

I definitely think the Sarcophagus' figures are the product of classicisation rather than an accurate representation of Macedonian equipment, not a rimless shield nor a sarissa in sight.
Xenophon
Hetairos (companion)

Post by Xenophon »

My thanks to "system1988" for posting those photos from the book......they are familiar , but it is great to see them in good quality detail.

The gold quarter-stater ( I had read elsewhere that it was a stater) of Philip II is a useful aid to dating. The fact that all those depicted are clean-shaven would seem to suggest the tomb dates from Alexander's reign rather than Philip's, as does the prevalence of the colour purple ( more abundant following A's conquests, and he is known to have rewarded his followers with purple garments - c.f the restored colours of the sarcophagus referred to by Paralus ). In addition the shield on the left shows a bust of Alexander on a purple background ( c.f. the so-called 'Alexander' sarcophagus ), while that on the right shows the Macedonian and hellenistic 'winged thunderbolt' design that would be later adopted by Rome.

Paralus wrote:-
"The Aghios Athanasios tomb paintings are known to me from another museum publication. It clearly was a high ranking figure given the nature of the tomb. The guards at the entrance - quite sad looking - either carry what are somewhat foreshortened sarisae or xysta. It is likely the former as one might expect mounted men to carry the latter and a full life-sized version of the sarisa will not have fit.

The fellows carrying what appear to be spear and shields (longche?) have always intrigued me. Assuming these blokes are 1.7 metres tall there seem two distinct shield diameters. The blue and red would be approximately 80-82 cm and that carried (white) seems near to 71cm. Not a single one is rimmed and so not classical hoplite aspides. The aspis bearing infantry on the "Alexander sarcophagus" seem near to 85cm and, without rim, would accord well with those larger shields in the Aghios Athanasios frieze.

If the artwork is historically accurate, I have always harboured the view that the apsis bearing troops on the sarcophagus were the agema of the hypaspists. These, as sons of the nobility, could afford such a panoply. Perhaps the sculptor took a view too classically Greek and turned Macedonian 80-82cm shields into classic aspides? "

Like Paralus, I am not at all convinced that the "door guards" are necessarily dismounted cavalrymen, or that the weapon shown is intended to be the xyston. While this weapon was around 12 ft long, in depictions ( The 'Alexander' mosaic; Kinch's tomb ) the xyston has a large 'spearhead' fitted as a butt spike. It should be noted that the so-called sarissa fittings from Vergina ( large but 'blunt' spearhead shape; small spearhead, hollowed for lightness; large 'butt spike' with flanges; and the 'hollow tube' ) published by Andronicos in 1970 were found outside the tomb, where they had presumably been dropped or discarded by the tomb's looters.... contra Markle's views, tests with reconsructions have shown that the 'large blunt spearhead' is simply too heavy, and has too large a socket diameter to be a sarissa head. Connolly (JRMES 2000 pp 103-12) demonstrated that the large butt-spike of typical sauroter form, but with flanges, combined with the small hollow head and shaft tapering from 34 mm diameter ( buttspike) to 20 mm diameter ( hollow small spearhead) worked perfectly, and was also correctly balanced to be easily wielded. The tube, at a little over 6 inches/150 mm long, is way too short to have functioned as a 'joiner' on a two part shaft, and what it actually is remains a mystery........

But we digress. The two mourning guards appear or be in 'undress', that is, not armoured or equipped for battle, as we might expect for their melancholy catafalque duty. Unfortunately the foot of each spear is unclear, but there does not appear to be room for the large characteristic xyston 'spearbutt', and I consider it probable that the smaller 'sauroter' with or without flanges was probably illustrated originally, which would make them infantrymen/sarissaphoroi with fore-shortened sarissa, being depicted as long as space would allow. This idea is re-inforced by the apparently rimless (though large, if to scale) shields depicted hanging above them, for cavalry at this time ( Alexander's day) did not use shields in mounted action, though many had them for acting on foot, complicating matters.

As to Macedonian use of the normal Greek hoplite rimmed aspis ( 82-100cm diameter with prominent rim from actual examples), I believe that it is all but certain that a section of the Macedonian infantry used it, probably along with the matching dory/spear ( single handed thrusting spear circa 8 ft long). There is ample iconographic evidence beyond the 'Alexander' sarcophagus for this ( see e.g. Markle), along with depictions of the 'pelta' rimless circular shield ( 66-76 cm diameter from actual examples - the difference is effectively that the dish is roughly the same, but with the prominent rim removed so as to allow the two-handed grip on the sarissa, the diameter in both cases being proportional to the length of the forearm). The 'pelta' was normally partnered with a pair of short dual purpose throwing/thrusting spears ( longche), which was the traditional Macedonian infantry 'peltast' equipment, until Philip II ( according to our sources) added the mighty sarissa/two-handed pike, transforming Macedonia's traditional peasant 'peltast' infantry into a powerful phalanx.

The question is; which Macedonians carried this traditional "hoplite equipment"? As Paralus points out, there is much debate about this, but at the end of the day the most likely candidates are "Guardsmen" i.e 'Hypaspists', whose name is eponymous with 'aspis' ( lit: shieldbearers ) , who are more likely to be depicted in iconography - especially of the 'official' kind, and again as Paralus points out, there was a social factor as well, in that possession of such equipment indicated men of higher/wealthier status among the Greek 'poleis'. I would be more inclined to believe that all the 'Hypaspists' bore this equipment, rather than just the 'Agema', if only because one might expect the unit to be uniformly equipped , the equipment instantly marking out "Guardsman". Otherwise how to distinguish a 'sarissa/pelta' bearing guardsman from a lowly ordinary member of the phalanx? Mere quality of equipment? But that would only be apparent close up, not when the army was massed.....

However, either is certainly possible, and until further evidence is forthcoming, simply a matter of opinion.

As to the so-called 'Alexander sarcophagus', again I would agree with Paralus that it is something of a 'vexed source', and also Agesilaus that it clearly has elements of 'classicisation' about it. Sekunda's over reliance on this piece of iconography in his "The Army of Alexander the Great" led him into many inaccuracies regarding the Army generally. Nevertheless, that many of its details are likely accurate is shown by their re-appearance on the 'Aghios Athenasios' tomb facade.

All in all this Tomb facade must be regarded as one of the most important iconographic sources for the appearance of Macedonian warriors at the time of Alexander the Great, as "system1988" suggests, and once again thanks for posting the photos.

I hope 'Pothosians' will forgive this long post on what may be regarded as 'military trivia', but it is a subject I find fascinating..... :) :D
agesilaos
Strategos (general)

Post by agesilaos »

Look again at the figure under the 'Alexander' shield, his butt clear and it is plain. Also I would have thought the slung shields were intended as those used by the deceased in life. That said there is no right or wrong only shades of grey, we cannot be sure what was intended by the artist.

I am not sure there is any evidence for the use of hoplite equipment in the Macedonian army, the coin evidence is ambiguous at best; a dished shield struck on an oversize flan may give the impression of a rimmed hoplite shield, there is the shield monument from Veria but I see no reason to suppose that the force it commemorates was purely Macedonian. Aspis is just a shield so there is nothing to glean from nomenclature. The sarissa cannot be wielded with a rimmed shield, however so if as seems likely the hypaspists were pike-armed in the set piece battles (as the argyraspids must have been) they perforce had rimless shields.

The sarissa phalanx had shown itself superior to hoplites on the fields of Greece, why would Alexander choose to equip his Guard with inferior equipment? Ultimately it is only a balance of probability and a finely balanced one at that. :shock:
system1988
Hetairos (companion)

Post by system1988 »

Xenophon wrote:My thanks to "system1988" for posting those photos from the book......they are familiar , but it is great to see them in good quality detail.

I hope 'Pothosians' will forgive this long post on what may be regarded as 'military trivia', but it is a subject I find fascinating..... :) :D

Thank you for your kind words.

The quality is good due to my son's cell phone camera. Worth every euro... apparently! Let it be known however that the front of the tomb and its decoration at its full was "given" to our age and time almost intact.

The two hanging shields represent: the left the fearsome figure of Medusa with snakes coming out of her hair- this is a very docile depiction of Medusa however- and the right the winged thunderbolt of Zeus, the god who was so strongly present in the religious conciousness of the Macedonians.

I cannot get into the weapon- related discussion since I do not know many things about that subject. Nevertheless it is a very interesting debate.

I would also like to transfer here some of the excavator's remarks. The young men in the symposium apart from their common greek military equipment (helmets, swords and spears) also bear the traditional Macedonian clothing: Kausia on the head, chamides on brooched on the right shoulder and leather kripides on the legs. The shields they carry relate to the elite force of the Macedonian armies- the royal bodyguards- who, since Alexander the Great's time bear the title "hypaspistis" (the term seems to be correspondent to the pezeteroi soldiers of the time of Phillip II). The spears the two guards hold are sarisas. The left young man's sarisa's cyllindric saurotiras which has blue color is not necessarily oblidged to have the usual for- sided or the pyramid- like bottom spearhead. There are many examples we have from painted vases where sarisas have various shapes. Furthermore in the tomb itself 2 cyllindric iron saurotires were found.

I hope to have some more photos of the saurotires which were found near the dead body, posted later on.
agesilaos
Strategos (general)

Post by agesilaos »

Magnifying to 600% you can just about make out a maybe 2" metal butt,too small for a sarissa and if that is a Gorgon I'm a Dutchman, the solitary snake looks more like a ribbon (diadem?) to me. I am surprised no one has claimed it as the tomb of Ptolemy Keraunos on the strength of the thunderbolt...then again...had the body been decapitated? What age was the deceased?
amyntoros
Somatophylax

Post by amyntoros »

agesilaos wrote:Magnifying to 600% you can just about make out a maybe 2" metal butt,too small for a sarissa and if that is a Gorgon I'm a Dutchman, the solitary snake looks more like a ribbon (diadem?) to me. I am surprised no one has claimed it as the tomb of Ptolemy Keraunos on the strength of the thunderbolt...then again...had the body been decapitated? What age was the deceased?
I think it is, indeed, a Gorgon! Searching Google Images for Gorgoneion brings up a wonderful assortment of Gorgons throughout the ages and quite a few of the ancient ones have very stylized snake ties on the top of the head and around the neck. I only checked out a few of the sites and so didn't find any of these "pretty" gorgons predating Alexander, although they could exist. Perhaps in Hellenistic times the artists combined the images of both Alexander and the Gorgon's head, given Alexander's connection to same? Anyway, there's a couple of attractive-faced gold Gorgoneions which were found in Tomb II at Vergina and were part of the Heracles to Alexander exhibit at the Ashmolean. Image is shown here

Best regards,
Amyntoros

Pothos Lunch Room Monitor
system1988
Hetairos (companion)

Post by system1988 »

As I said before I have a photobucet account and I have now posted a new album titled "Phinikas Tomb". Here is the link:

http://s1246.photobucket.com/albums/gg6 ... 0Phinikas/

It was not my original intention to post these photos as the colored decoration of that particular tomb was not preserved in the passing of the ages. However, as the saurotires photos which I promised to post belong in that grave and not that of St. Athanasios I decided to post all the photos of that tomb altogether.

The tomb hosted 3 deceased people, a married couple and later on a third man, perhaps their son. The tomb itself is dated back to the late 4th century BC. It is unique as in its chamber reside two pedestals in the form of altars set on rectangular bases and two low benches. Luxury wooden couches, presumbaly to receive the precious cinerary urns with the remains of the cremation of the two bodies, existed on the pedestals - much of their remains where found (of the wooden parts) as well as the sea- weeds with which the pillows where filled (I find the Macedonians quite the ecologists...).The two benches with the stylised lion's- paw legs will have bee used to hold grave goods or offerings to the dead.

The tomb looters stole the most valuable of the artifacts and they broke both pedestals in order to find more treasure with a crowbar.

The painted decoration of the facade includes phiales- created by the use of the compass.
From left to right we have: A Small, half- open chest, a young man facing left holding a spear and slightly leaning on a large shield, two male figures who share a handshake- two more male figures, a sturdy horse, a circular shield next to a stele with a pedimental crowing and a young man. Among the weapons the two saurotires, the first 0.38 m long and the second 0.345 long. The deceased is probably the seated man.

This is a very very rushed and crude presentation of this incredibly interesting tomb which unravelled to us a large amount of artifacts.

As far as the tomb of St. Athanasios is concerned, of course a gorgoneon is presented on the left shield and of course the right shield bears the winged thunderbolt of Zeus.

P.S

For it all being very interesting, I must say that 3 kinds of sea weeds were discovered (in the pillows and matresses): Zostir the Sea- born, Padina Pavonia and Ulva Lactuca!

The sourse is the same as the one of the St. Athanasios tomb.

Best regards