Regime Change

This is a forum for off topic discussions, including testing if you are unsure how to post.

Moderator: pothos moderators

justmegas

Regime Change

Post by justmegas »

I felt the need to look into a relative person with regard to Military Leaders,Wars and Conflict.

As noticed through recent developments in Libya..And the situation with the leader been killed..No doubt the guy was a brutal dictator and died by the way he lived his life.
Many times I read things about ancient Military Peoples and the way they get condemned for the ways they degraded and executed the enemy leaders..Versengetrix,Boudicca,and the commanders Alexander killed Bessus. the Leader at Gaza and the way some romantics feel he would have been generous and magnaminous had he captured Darius.

The problem I have is the doublle standards and the claims that society is much more civilised than the Ancients...For me this is not at all true.I feel its quite wrong getting involved with wars like these on a selective basis...Where its acceptable to bomb and help the Libyans yet ignore Syria .Zimbabwe..Also we just about execute all of these leaders without them ever getting to trial..It says to me these people were mainly Western Capitalist bully boy puupets and it never serves these people that such leaders be put on trial or the chance to reveal just who they were actually involved with.

With an interest in these aspects its fare to say Alexander can claim some moral ground that he was face to face with his enemies and those enemies had as much chance to kill him than he did them.

These modern leaders claim all the moral high ground whilst never in peril and ordering highly advanced airstriked on rather inferior ground forces.

It reminds me of something said by Alexander to Parmenio.

"I will not steal a Victory"

I would assume that people in this forum dismiss my post as irrelevent to Alexander...I feel if we cant look back and relate to modern situations then perhaps we dont and can never learn.

I think I would also way..Would say if the leaders and Corporate puppet masters of today had to really fight the wars in the Way Alexander Thge Great..Julius Caesar did I think it would be short odds that wars would be pretty far and few between..
marcus
Somatophylax

Re: Regime Change

Post by marcus »

Well, I'm struggling to see quite what this has to do with Alexander, but I'll leave it in this area for the moment - maybe we'll move to the Off-topic forum later.

justmegas wrote:The problem I have is the doublle standards and the claims that society is much more civilised than the Ancients
Which claims are those, then? It's been a long, long time since I saw any claim that we are more civilised than people in the Ancient World.
Also we just about execute all of these leaders without them ever getting to trial..
Can you provide an example of any modern leader since 1945 who has been executed by another country (and it would need to be a Western Democracy, according to your accusation) without a trial? I can't think of any. (And you're not allowed Ceausescu because he was executed by his own people.)

ATB
Marcus
Sine doctrina vita est quasi mortis imago
At Amazon US
At Amazon UK
justmegas

Post by justmegas »

Osama Bin Laden was as its claimed executed by a foreign power...mysteriously dumped at sea,,,no trace no evidence.

Nothing to do with Alexander..I think I was mistaken trying to get an overview of historical conflicts and wars and its relativilty tgrough the ages...I apologise for thinking this site may think a little more lateral.

goodbye and thanks anyway
marcus
Somatophylax

Post by marcus »

justmegas wrote:Osama Bin Laden was as its claimed executed by a foreign power...mysteriously dumped at sea,,,no trace no evidence.

Nothing to do with Alexander..I think I was mistaken trying to get an overview of historical conflicts and wars and its relativilty tgrough the ages...I apologise for thinking this site may think a little more lateral.

goodbye and thanks anyway
Oh, I thought you meant leaders of countries, rather than leaders of terrorist groups (which are two very different things, operating with different rules). Bin Laden was a very different kettle of fish (and I'm not necessarily condoning the way he was disposed of).
I apologise for thinking this site may think a little more lateral.
Don't be too hasty in condemning - you've only had a response from one person.

I'm not really sure what you were expecting. As you said yourself: this really has nothing to do with Alexander. So I have moved the topic to the "Off-topic" forum, where you are welcome to continue to discuss your points.

ATB
Marcus
Sine doctrina vita est quasi mortis imago
At Amazon US
At Amazon UK
Efstathios
Hetairos (companion)

Post by Efstathios »

Dictators are being executed mostly by their own people, but after they have been brought to that position with "help" from outside. Gaddafi was a dictator alright, but when he rose to power he gave libyans homes and cars. No one was complaining then. Of course When the time came that the geopolitical agenda changed, he wasn't needed anymore, thus they brought the uprising in Lybya, as they did with Egypt, Syria and other countries. Gaddafi then started to kill his own people and created a civil war. For that he is responsible, and he payed for it.

But all these events just show us how big powerful countries use other countries for their geostrategical plays. I think it was like that even in ancient times. Some things don't change. It's just easier to do now, due to the technology and "globalization".
"Hence we will not say that Greeks fight like heroes, but that heroes fight like Greeks."
Sir Winston Churchill, 1941.