Whats In a Name

This is a forum for off topic discussions, including testing if you are unsure how to post.

Moderator: pothos moderators

bessusww
Pezhetairos (foot soldier)

Whats In a Name

Post by bessusww »

Ive just viewd a bbc news programe today and a Tilte was Whats in a name?

I cant say what the item was as its taboo here but it had to do withPolitics and fighting over a name.

Its one of the barred subjects in this forum and would ask if anyone knows of an Alexander related site that can discuss this aspect as it is to do with Alexander and it is relevent.
marcus
Somatophylax

Re: Whats In a Name

Post by marcus »

bessusww wrote:Ive just viewd a bbc news programe today and a Tilte was Whats in a name?

I cant say what the item was as its taboo here but it had to do withPolitics and fighting over a name.

Its one of the barred subjects in this forum and would ask if anyone knows of an Alexander related site that can discuss this aspect as it is to do with Alexander and it is relevent.
I take it you mean the Former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia?

The reason why we don't want it discussed on Pothos is that it isn't relevant to Alexander, and it almost invariably leads to loads of nationalist ranting that really has no place here. So if that is what you are referring to, it would be better to leave it alone! :D

If, however, it is relevant, then why not post? We can always delete it ... :D :D

ATB
Marcus
Sine doctrina vita est quasi mortis imago
At Amazon US
At Amazon UK
bessusww
Pezhetairos (foot soldier)

Re: Whats In a Name

Post by bessusww »

Definately Right Marcus

In today and modern history its not at all relative to Alexander...But the heritage is very much so...In and around the days of Philip and Alexander...The Modern stated that were Yugoslavia we actually Thrace...I just found the article on the news interesting in that peoples claiming direct linear with Alexander the Great. Where as the name Alexander the Great hotel etc.

Its fair to accept that Macedonia today is a Northern part of Greece...Wheras Epiris.Peloponese,Illiria,Asia Minor...Its all reletive to that time not now..

If there was ever a seperate country of Macedonia then surely it can only be one not the two parts that seem to be argued about.

I agree Marcus it is a topic tthat can cause silly nationalist arguments...But I can also see why its a hot bed...Only the Areas roung Vergina Pella etc can really be called Macedonia directly linked to the royal links.

Anyway sorry Marcus I give up