alexander and ghengis.

This is a forum for off topic discussions, including testing if you are unsure how to post.

Moderator: pothos moderators

spitamenes
Hetairos (companion)

alexander and ghengis.

Post by spitamenes »

I'm posting this in off topic because I'm not sure if it belongs in the discussions forum. I'm not familiar in any way with the history of Ghengis Khan. (I'm even hoping I spelled his name correctly). But I do like to consider myself somewhat knowledgable on the history involving Alexander. Now, I've heard Ghengis actually conquered a landmass larger than that of Alexander. Was that due to there being far less people and far larger areas for Ghengis to conquer and rule? Or was it somewhat similar for both? I've always had the thought that Alexander fought tooth and nail through many cities and territories, before finally arriving at India and turning back for Babylon, While Ghengis could storm a village and stake a claim to thousands of square miles. Am I way off here?
Asander
Pezhetairos (foot soldier)

Re: alexander and ghengis.

Post by Asander »

Once, a friend who wanted to make fun of me, told me that he saw at TV a simulated show where Attila the Hun fought sine missione with Alexander. Of course I've asked him what was the result of the battle, and he told me that Attila jumped upon Alexander's spear and broked her; then, the hun raised his sword and virtually killed Alexander.

I was suprised and I've started arguing with my buddy regarding the skills of Alexander and more; I've asked him how it is possible to compare a man who conquered cities and fought fierce battles into unknow, with a peasant who came in Europe from the steps and who won many battles over a bunch of other peasants.

But my buddy continued to laugh saying to me only that I am wrong, without any arguments. So, because of his ridiculous laugh, I kicked his ass.
Never give up
Asander
Pezhetairos (foot soldier)

Post by Asander »

spitamenes wrote:Now, I've heard Ghengis actually conquered a landmass larger than that of Alexander.
There was several empires larger than the empire of Alexander, not only the mongol empire.
Never give up
spitamenes
Hetairos (companion)

Post by spitamenes »

Asander wrote: So, because of his ridiculous laugh, I kicked his ass.
Haha... well played. Much deserved if you ask me. I watched this program the day it aired and about threw my t.v., alexander had an upbringing with pancration, the basis for greco roman and many other fighting styles still used today. Having only that in his arsenal would be enough to eliminate a brawler like Attila. In my opinion. It was a show called "deadliest warrior". They run the match through a computer and that's how they come up with the winner. :shock:
spitamenes
Hetairos (companion)

Post by spitamenes »

Asander wrote: There was several empires larger than the empire of Alexander, not only the mongol empire.
so do you know if Alexander fought more actual battles and took more cities than Ghengis did?
marcus
Somatophylax

Post by marcus »

spitamenes wrote:
Asander wrote: There was several empires larger than the empire of Alexander, not only the mongol empire.
so do you know if Alexander fought more actual battles and took more cities than Ghengis did?
I would imagine that Ghengis took more cities. He probably completely destroyed more than Alexander did, anyway, and he was probably responsible for many more deaths than Alexander was.

But you can't really make a comparison - 1500 years between them, different parts of the world, different population masses and distribution, etc. etc.

ATB
Marcus
Sine doctrina vita est quasi mortis imago
At Amazon US
At Amazon UK