The Parthenon restoration

This is a forum for off topic discussions, including testing if you are unsure how to post.

Moderator: pothos moderators

Theseus
Pezhetairos (foot soldier)

The Parthenon restoration

Post by Theseus »

I just read a small article in my Smithsonian magazine about the Parthenon and thought I'd share it with all of you.

More than 2400 years after its construction, the Parthenon-the sanctuary to the goddess Athena-still dominates the skyline of the Acropolis in Athens. The structure, originally painted in brilliant shades of red, green and blue remained largely intact until 1687, when a force of Venetians laying siege to invading Turkish troops ignited a gunpowder magazine stored there. The explosion reduced the santuary to near ruins.

Today the Greek Government is overseeing a massive restoration effort. Although the edifice cannot be returned to its pre-1687 condition, the goal is to minimize, as much as possible, damage to what is left. (Replacement marble for example is being mined from the classical-era quarry that supplied the original.)

This past October, the final phase began with the creation at the base of the citadel of the Acropolis museum, which will showcase more than 4000 ancient statues, friezes, and artifacts when it opens in Autumn 2008.

One treasure however will remain absent-the marble friezes that Englands Lord Elgin removed from the site between 1801-1803 and sold to the British museum, where they remain today. The designer of the new museum, Bernard Tschumi, has crowned his building with a glass gallery that awaits their return. "My hope is that one day the Elgin marbles will be reunited and people can know the story all at once, in one single place"

I found this article very interesting and didn't know all of this about the Parthenon before. Its' a shame the marble friezes can't be returned to where they belong. I know that the Egyptian Government worked hard to get the mummy of Ramses returned to them and finally got their wish. They had a huge "home coming" for one of their greatest leader's return home. It sounds like there must be something in the works to get those friezes back to Greece if Bernard Tschumi has hope it may happen.
I long for wealth, but to win it by wrongful means I have no desire. Justice, though slow, is sure.
"Solon Fragment 13" poem
Phoebus

Post by Phoebus »

No one should hold their breath over this (the Elgin marbles being returned).
Efstathios
Hetairos (companion)

Post by Efstathios »

There are efforts being made for many years now, but the the British museum refuses to give back the marbles. Because obviously it's one of the popular attractions of the museum.

The explosion at the Parthenon did not destroy it entirely but a piece of it. After this the Parthenon was like how it is also today. Most of the reconstruction works are to actually strengthen the building even more. The Parthenon is a strong construction, that's why it wasnt destroyed at the explosion.
jasonxx

Post by jasonxx »

the Greeks obviously gave them away. So why expect to get something back that one gave away. Does a person give a gify then ask for it back.

If they didnt give them away then they did very little to stop it happening.

If someone wasraiding my house id fight tooth and nail to protect what is mine.

Kenny
Theseus

Post by Theseus »

The marble friezes are a part of Greece's history and I think they should be back in Greece. I have seen this before with Egyptian artifacts. There are a lot of items in the Louvre and other museums from Egypt and they do educate people of other cultures so no I don't think every item should be returned to their home country, but these friezes are so important to Greece. Maybe it should be considered by England to return them or at least loan them back for a period of time.
I have to check but I think Elgin dind't buy the friezes, but took them, then sold them to the British museum.
I long for wealth, but to win it by wrongful means I have no desire. Justice, though slow, is sure.
"Solon Fragment 13" poem
Theseus

Post by Theseus »

Efstathios wrote:There are efforts being made for many years now, but the the British museum refuses to give back the marbles. Because obviously it's one of the popular attractions of the museum.

The explosion at the Parthenon did not destroy it entirely but a piece of it. After this the Parthenon was like how it is also today. Most of the reconstruction works are to actually strengthen the building even more. The Parthenon is a strong construction, that's why it wasnt destroyed at the explosion.
Thank God it was strong enough to last through the ages. It's a great part of ancient history and for it to still be standing is incredible. It's one of the places on my list of things to see. :D
"Solon Fragment 13" poem
Phoebus

Post by Phoebus »

jasonxx wrote:the Greeks obviously gave them away. So why expect to get something back that one gave away. Does a person give a gify then ask for it back.

Kenny
Are you being sarcastic?

The Greeks, such as they were circa the beginning of the 19th century/end of the 18th century, were a subject people to the Ottoman Empire. They had no say over who could take what from the Athenian Acropolis; many of them were busy being been put down for trying to take back their own independence--never mind defending their archaeological heritage.

All negotiations (as far as I can recall) were between Lord Elgin and the Ottoman government. The sale of the marbles was made between Lord Elgin and the British government.

The reasons employed by the British Museum are weak, at best. There is no danger of pollution against the marbles, and one can easily flip their other main point around: if it's just as well for the Acropolis Museum to display replicas, why is it not for the British one?
Efstathios
Hetairos (companion)

Post by Efstathios »

I dont have anything further to say, Phoebus you covered it well. The Greeks didnt give away the marbles, the Othomans did.

Kenny, you must realize that for some time the English people took everything they could take from countries they occupied, or other countries too, like Greece. The British museum is full of things from around the world. Now, with that being said, there were also English people that were the exact opposite. They came in Greece, to fight for the independence, and died here. Like Lord Byron. Elgin will be remembered as a thief. Lord Byron as a hero.
jasonxx

Post by jasonxx »

Of Coarse I was sarcastic. And Efts your spot on about the English.

I have a theory about Empires. The ones who take over learn from Previous Empires.Its often said and I agree military force is always the last resort and im a big believer the English thought along those lines.

The English were pretty good against spear armed peoples and peoples who knew little about war. The English would be the first to read the Bible whilst going through your pockets. Even though I am an English man I am open minded enough to know that The British Empire along with others is based on bullying and back handers.

When it came to fighting more acomplished Armies and Copuntries it was so called deplomacy. I guess in reality all empires are based on Theft. Murder etc.

Alexander gets a lot of flack for brutality. I guess he gets rather more critisism because he was more succesful than most. The ideathat Alexander started something nasty is absurd.So some can differ between Cyrus and Darius the 1st. But it was all based on taking what is not yours.

New empires are based on Economics and the superpowers only need to turn off the Dollar,Pound or Even Euro to sink a nation.

Kenny
Theseus

Post by Theseus »

Phoebus wrote:
jasonxx wrote:the Greeks obviously gave them away. So why expect to get something back that one gave away. Does a person give a gify then ask for it back.

Kenny
Are you being sarcastic?

The Greeks, such as they were circa the beginning of the 19th century/end of the 18th century, were a subject people to the Ottoman Empire. They had no say over who could take what from the Athenian Acropolis; many of them were busy being been put down for trying to take back their own independence--never mind defending their archaeological heritage.

All negotiations (as far as I can recall) were between Lord Elgin and the Ottoman government. The sale of the marbles was made between Lord Elgin and the British government.

The reasons employed by the British Museum are weak, at best. There is no danger of pollution against the marbles, and one can easily flip their other main point around: if it's just as well for the Acropolis Museum to display replicas, why is it not for the British one?

Thank you Phoebus, that is the info I thought I remembered, but was trying to find it. :D
"Solon Fragment 13" poem
Phoebus

Post by Phoebus »

jasonxx wrote:Of Coarse I was sarcastic.
Ah, sorry about the quick-draw, then. :lol:
Theseus

Post by Theseus »

As luck would have it the History Channel International was airing "Engineering and Empire" and it was about Greece. They talked about the construction of the Parthenon. Just seeing this magnificent building on tv leaves one in awe and I can hardly imagine it's beauty in person. :shock:
"Solon Fragment 13" poem
rjones2818

Really?

Post by rjones2818 »

Kenny
Since the Turks were in charge of Greece at the time, I doubt that the Greeks had much of a choice.
Efstathios
Hetairos (companion)

Post by Efstathios »

Just seeing this magnificent building on tv leaves one in awe and I can hardly imagine it's beauty in person.
Although it's color's have gone and it's partially destroyed, it is a beautiful building. When it was built and for a long time it was full of colors. Even the figures on the marbles had colors. Inside was the tall statue of Athena. The Parthenon was built with the usage of advanced mathematics, and the nearby temples have the same distance each one with the Parthenon which is in the center.
Theseus

Post by Theseus »

Efstathios wrote:
Just seeing this magnificent building on tv leaves one in awe and I can hardly imagine it's beauty in person.
Although it's color's have gone and it's partially destroyed, it is a beautiful building. When it was built and for a long time it was full of colors. Even the figures on the marbles had colors. Inside was the tall statue of Athena. The Parthenon was built with the usage of advanced mathematics, and the nearby temples have the same distance each one with the Parthenon which is in the center.
I remember seeing another show that mentioned about the colors and even did a computer generated reconstruction of what it may have looked like after it was completed. May I ask how many times have you seen it in person Efstathios? I am jealous. :wink: I would probably stand there for hours just staring up at it from the same spot. Seeing these things on tv and not being able to see them in person is frustrating. I really do hope to visit Greece some day and Egypt too.
"Solon Fragment 13" poem