To Create a War Film

This is a forum for off topic discussions, including testing if you are unsure how to post.

Moderator: pothos moderators

keroro
Pezhetairos (foot soldier)

Post by keroro »

jasonxx wrote:Korero
Still not quite there. :) Keroro.
jasonxx wrote:But it represented far more of whats missing an society. and just maybe people youth etc need a little reminder abvout values. Loving and defending your Wife and family even if you have to die. Honour and respect between the people and commanders.

In the real world Leonidas is very rare. But its not such a bad thing tohope for noble people. As Diogenes most famously qouted. He was looking for an honest man.
My emphasis.
jasonxx wrote:No I dont find Killing Handicapped Kids. Demonising Nations. Missing out Greek Alies or the other things you highlighted funny.

Nor do I find funny. Paedophilia, Child Prostitution. Forced Marriages. Third world Starvation whilst the west grows fat with Designer good funny. But realistically it does esist. There is no better society today than in the past. And for you to be naive enough to think it is is rather Ostrich in the Sand. Dont you think the British Navy Hosatge scenario. With the aid of media and selling stories has done to medern Iran what the 300 did to the Persians.
Neither of us has suggested that it is funny. But from the previous quote that I have highlighted above you did suggest that people should be reminded of the values that the Spartans, as depicted in this film, represent. I assumed, perhaps incorrectly, that you meant that you found the values of this society worthy of respect.

As far as the comparison to modern times goes - well it doesn't really interest me. There are terrible things done in all times, and all places, yes. But this doesn't mean that we shouldn't strive for something better, even something utopian.
Best wishes,

Keroro
jasonxx

Post by jasonxx »

Keroro

Indeed we should strive for something better and dream of better. Where no one dies of Thirst. No Child lays in bed fearing adults parents Etc who would do them harm.

Utopia is the word and indeed utopia is somrthing that doesnt exist. On the one hand we see the hard grafting charity worker. He works all hours god sends to earn a pittance and or donations to help people in need. And on the other we have the spoon fed pussies inherited wealth that have never done a days work in there loves and would spend on a round of drinks what a normal working man would earn in a year.

Alas Keroro. We are and feel noble I see the twisted and unjust world we live. I didnt mean the concept of Spartan Ideolgy is good. I just think the stance Leonidas took and represents is to be admired. Maybe Leonidas and his sacrifice is the only redeaming factor about Apartan society. But for a blink of an eye and 2 hour movie that instance was brilliant. To stand and be counted against massive odds and corrupt politicians.

All I do know Keroro is that I cant do anything about the evils of society. But waht I can be is true to myself and family and know I would make such a stand for them. Alas with the world all I can do is put my head in the sand.

Kenny
keroro
Pezhetairos (foot soldier)

Post by keroro »

Well I have to admit that I can't think of a better word for our current society than 'twisted'. That pretty much sums it up. And I do see where you're coming from now. The symbolic sacrifice of the few for the many is always a most powerful one - as long as we remember that in the case of 300 it is most certainly symbolic.

I'd encourage you not to put your head in the sand though. If Leonidas had done that then you'd be disappointed in him - we have to do something, however little, to make things better.

And thanks for getting the name right this time. :D

Peace be with you.
Best wishes,

Keroro
jasonxx

Post by jasonxx »

Keroro

The sand is the only option. The world is massive and if I put thought into all that is bad. Im sure I would go insane. All I can do Is know the faults and hopefully my kids can be ware and make themselves safer.SAFER. What a laugh. If need be realistically speaking I couldnt even defend my family if the powers that need be had other intentions for them.

I am getting more away from the Histories with 300 and more into what the ideals could and should be. Do we want liberal Leaders. The twisted crtonies we have now.

If you look at the Leonidas dying scene. A soldiers says it was an honour to die at his Side. Leonidas replied it was an honour to have lived at his side.

Imagine the soldiers that have died since. Where the kings and leaders were safe at home or in bunkers. While they expect the Working Middle class sons to die for the sake of there orders.

You say the movie was a brain at the door job. But if you ignbore the histories and just look at the values maybe you would see things a little different.Im no war monger and would nail my son to the back door rather than to risk his life following som fools orders under the precept of Honour Freedom and justice. Your word UTOPIA is the name of the game. Lest we find leaders and kings with the ideal of a heroic Leonidas then were are heading to ultimate doom and anhialation.

Regards

Kenny.

PS sentiments aside 300 has the best war actionscenes ive seen for decades.
marcus
Somatophylax

Post by marcus »

jasonxx wrote:I'm no war monger and would nail my son to the back door rather than to risk his life following some fool's orders under the precept of Honour Freedom and justice.
Interesting notion - "I'll kill you rather than see someone else do it ..." :lol:

(It's OK, Kenny, I know what you mean ... but it still amused me.)

ATB
Marcus
Sine doctrina vita est quasi mortis imago
At Amazon US
At Amazon UK
jan
Strategos (general)

The actor/director combo

Post by jan »

:o is what apparently made 300 successful and Alexander dreadful. Gerard Butler delivered his lines in a manner that made Leonidas credible;whereas, Colin J. Farrell delivered his lines as if he were still in PhoneBooth, a movie in which he cries constantly. I am watching Miami Vice tonight to see if Colin is better in this film than in Alexander just to give him a fair shake. Maybe he was too much putty in Oliver Stone's hands...
jasonxx

Post by jasonxx »

Jan

I never imagined you would watch 300. Considering the hammering it got from Academics and historian accuracy boys.

As you say. Butlet gave a real boys own leader. With guts balls and charisma. The guy that says it was an honour to die with him was convincing. And im conviced that leoniadas had his soldiers willing to die.

Its been an argument that Mr Silly boy Stone tried to show the man. Well Alexander the man was the self same style of character that did inspire love and loyalty from his soldiers. I doubt Collin Farrels Alexander could inspire his soldiers to buy him a drink.

Im glad you liked 300. For me its the best movie for decades. It leases. Troy.Alexander and King Arthure in its wake. And to clarify this I will not be suprised to see cheap imitations. Although 300 was a relatively inexpensive movie with no big hitter movie actors.

Kenny