The Lykeion of Aristotle

Discuss Alexander's generals, wives, lovers, family and enemies

Moderator: pothos moderators

system1988
Hetairos (companion)

The Lykeion of Aristotle

Post by system1988 »

Hi all

The Lykeion where Aristotle taught when he returned to Athens after Alexander's education was finished, has been dug up for over a decate in the center of Athens. As the information stands on the site confirm, it is hard to appreciate from the humble remain of the building the importance of the place itself as far as the history of human thought is concerned. Along with the Lykeion there was a palaistra where the youths were trained in body as well. Maybe Aristotle built the Lykeion with the compensation he was given by Philip for his son's education. But that's my speculation.

Here is the link to the photos of Lykeion I took

http://s1246.photobucket.com/user/IamSy ... t=3&page=1

Best

Pauline
Πάντες άνθρωποι του ειδέναι ορέγονται φύσει
hiphys
Pezhetairos (foot soldier)

Re: The Lykeion of Aristotle

Post by hiphys »

Very interesting photos and news about a place so important for philosophy and history of Mankind! It seems that Aristotle went early: he didn't know the development of today Athens would be precisely where he placed his school. Now every time I watch TV news from Greece, there it :D is shown platia Sindagmatos, and I couldn't help thinking to the philosopher and his disciples, strolling among modern people, just a bit bewildered!
Thank you Pauline for posting it!