Search found 847 matches

by Xenophon
Fri Jun 23, 2017 1:35 am
Forum: Discuss Alexander the Great
Topic: Did Alexander command the PHALANX at Chaeronea?
Replies: 120
Views: 57788

Re: Did Alexander command the PHALANX at Chaeronea?

Sean M. wrote: ". ..The ratio of fifteen footmen per horsemen at Chaeronaea in Diodorus contrasts the ratio of six to one which he gives a few chapters later (17.17.3) after Alexander crossed into Asia, and says something about the kind of battle that Philip planned to fight in Greece and the type w...
by Xenophon
Fri Jun 23, 2017 1:18 am
Forum: Discuss Alexander the Great
Topic: Did Alexander command the PHALANX at Chaeronea?
Replies: 120
Views: 57788

Re: Did Alexander command the PHALANX at Chaeronea?

Paralus wrote : Polyaenus wrote: "P hilippus, at Chaeroneia, knowing the Athenians were impetuous and inexperienced, and the Macedonians inured to fatigues and exercise, contrived to prolong the action: and reserving his principal attack to the latter end of the engagement, the enemy weak and exhaus...
by Xenophon
Wed Jun 21, 2017 6:23 am
Forum: Discuss Alexander the Great
Topic: Did Alexander command the PHALANX at Chaeronea?
Replies: 120
Views: 57788

Re: Did Alexander command the PHALANX at Chaeronea?

Forgive me commenting at this late stage, but I must say that I am firmly in the camp of Paralus and those who believe that Alexander commanded the whole left wing, and not the cavalry, whilst his father commanded the right half of the army. Whilst certainty is not possible, military probability, re...
by Xenophon
Wed May 31, 2017 1:33 am
Forum: Art and Culture
Topic: Treasury of Atreus
Replies: 14
Views: 4375

Re: Treasury of Atreus

Nothing wrong with Travelogues and Photographs, especially for those who have never been, or can't go for a variety of reasons - which would be the majority of Pothosians!! That's why System1988's posts are always welcome....... It allows the experience to be shared, at least to a degree, even if we...
by Xenophon
Mon May 29, 2017 3:24 am
Forum: Philip and Alexander's predecessors
Topic: New Finds from the Cremains in TombII at Aegae Point to Philip II and a Scythian Princess
Replies: 3
Views: 2147

Re: New Finds from the Cremains in TombII at Aegae Point to Philip II and a Scythian Princess

That paper and the Antikas paper were discussed in some detail back in 2015, on the "Lameness of King Philip II " thread, pp 4 ff, but it is a useful reminder to draw attention to Jolene McCleod's excellent paper, and also remind ourselves that osteological evidence cannot of itself positively ident...
by Xenophon
Fri May 26, 2017 1:06 am
Forum: Philip and Alexander's predecessors
Topic: New Finds from the Cremains in TombII at Aegae Point to Philip II and a Scythian Princess
Replies: 3
Views: 2147

New Finds from the Cremains in TombII at Aegae Point to Philip II and a Scythian Princess

Over the years since the 1977 discovery of the magnificent intact tomb at Aegae, there were those who refused to accept that the tomb was that of PhilipII, father of Alexander, and suggested that instead it might be that of Philip Arrhidaeus. The matter was seemingly settled in 2015 with the publica...
by Xenophon
Sat Mar 11, 2017 2:53 am
Forum: Discuss Alexander the Great
Topic: Alexander the Great...Good or Bad King, or neither? An Essay
Replies: 81
Views: 36140

Re: Alexander the Great...Good or Bad King, or neither? An Essay

Paralus wrote: Xenophon wrote:Quite obviously he does NOT count by ‘campaign seasons’ – and never uses the term – and Paralus is simply repeating an oft repeated, but totally incorrect cliché. He uses a system of half-years, which he arbitrarily calls ‘summer’ and ‘winter’, as he specifically says a...
by Xenophon
Wed Mar 08, 2017 5:04 am
Forum: Discuss Alexander the Great
Topic: Alexander the Great...Good or Bad King, or neither? An Essay
Replies: 81
Views: 36140

Re: Alexander the Great...Good or Bad King, or neither? An Essay

Xenophon wrote:To suggest that he habitually dated by so-called 'campaigning seasons' is untrue, and nonsense. As for Diodorus, we have discussed his annual dating system ( which he occasionally gets wrong), and he never refers to 'campaigning seasons' either, AFIK. Plainly Thukydides structures hi...
by Xenophon
Sun Mar 05, 2017 4:28 am
Forum: Discuss Alexander the Great
Topic: Alexander the Great...Good or Bad King, or neither? An Essay
Replies: 81
Views: 36140

Re: Alexander the Great...Good or Bad King, or neither? An Essay

Sorry, Paralus.....not going back there. You are seemingly obsessed with 'winning' an unwinnable argument. And it is obviously pointless having some sort of chronology debate with someone who apparently doesn't understand the fundamental point that, in the absence of the concept of 'zero', the ONLY ...
by Xenophon
Wed Mar 01, 2017 6:58 am
Forum: Discuss Alexander the Great
Topic: Alexander the Great...Good or Bad King, or neither? An Essay
Replies: 81
Views: 36140

Re: Alexander the Great...Good or Bad King, or neither? An Essay

When Alexander was on his deathbed, surrounded by his 'philoi', one of them supposedly asked Alexander who his successor would be, and he is reputed to have said "Hoti to kratisto" or "to the strongest." It has been speculated that his voice may have been weak and indistinct and that he may have sai...
by Xenophon
Mon Feb 27, 2017 9:56 am
Forum: Discuss Alexander the Great
Topic: Alexander the Great...Good or Bad King, or neither? An Essay
Replies: 81
Views: 36140

Re: Alexander the Great...Good or Bad King, or neither? An Essay

Here we go again. Another repetitious post, basically relating the 100 word story found in Curtius, and nothing new! Argument with no basis, for the sake of it, and without end. Significantly, Paralus still ignores and fails to address the case against Heracles existence which I have been setting ou...
by Xenophon
Fri Feb 24, 2017 2:03 am
Forum: Discuss Alexander the Great
Topic: Alexander the Great...Good or Bad King, or neither? An Essay
Replies: 81
Views: 36140

Re: Alexander the Great...Good or Bad King, or neither? An Essay

Everything you say is predicated on the assumption that the small paragraph in Curtius and even less in Justin regarding ‘Heracles’ is literally true, but that isn’t necessarily the case at all. You have completely failed to address the matters raised in my post of Jan 26, in particular that Curtius...
by Xenophon
Tue Feb 21, 2017 7:05 am
Forum: Discuss Alexander the Great
Topic: Alexander the Great...Good or Bad King, or neither? An Essay
Replies: 81
Views: 36140

Re: Alexander the Great...Good or Bad King, or neither? An Essay

Paralus wrote: Xenophon wrote:You have rather overlooked the fact that despite 'rejection' as candidates to succeed to the throne, 'Heracles' and Alexander IV are still technically heirs by birth to AtG, and Arrhidaeus cannot be truthfully described as "sole heir" in Paralus' version. But Arrhidaeus...
by Xenophon
Fri Feb 17, 2017 6:34 am
Forum: Discuss Alexander the Great
Topic: Alexander the Great...Good or Bad King, or neither? An Essay
Replies: 81
Views: 36140

Re: Alexander the Great...Good or Bad King, or neither? An Essay

Alexias wrote: She refers to 328/327 because our years run January to December, whilst Greek calendars generally began in Autumn ( e.g. Macedonian began 1st Dios =1st October aprox - because it was lunar this would shift slightly year to year). The main exceptions were Boeotia, whose calendar began ...
by Xenophon
Wed Feb 15, 2017 12:34 am
Forum: Discuss Alexander the Great
Topic: Alexander the Great...Good or Bad King, or neither? An Essay
Replies: 81
Views: 36140

Re: Alexander the Great...Good or Bad King, or neither? An Essay

Okay, thank you for the above. I knew the Greeks had no zero but I never really investigated how they counted without one! However, doesn't that mean that a child born in the first month of a year and the last month of the same year would both be considered "one" year old? I'm not sure I understand...